Author Topic: Questions on the LH Sparey Dividing head  (Read 5224 times)

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
Questions on the LH Sparey Dividing head
« on: August 24, 2013, 03:41:53 PM »
I’m working away making patterns to cast the major parts of LH Sparey’s dividing head that several people are building. My version will hopefully be used on my MicroMark 7x14 Lathe and my X2 mill.
I have no problem (yet) visualizing how it will be used on the X2, but the lathe is giving me problems. Has anyone built this DH for use on the SEIG 7x lathes? How do you use it? Can you post a picture of your setup?
My current idea is to build the DH at center height for the lathe and include 2 v-notches for the ways, at 90° to each other, and slots on each end for T-bolts for use on the mill. But then I thought if I’m going to line bore it on the lathe (first such project) I need to locate it on the cross slide. Some guidance please?
Maybe make the base as a separate bolt on?
Chuck

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Questions on the LH Sparey Dividing head
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 04:57:09 PM »
Hi Chuck, I have the same lathe and there is not that much height to the cross slide and no T slots on mind. You would have to build it to fit where the compound slide mounts. If you do build it to fit the lathe, you would need riser blocks to make it fit your mill and accommodate our chuck also.
I don't have much else to add to help you. Oh yes, if you build it for the ways how would you make the DH move to help you cut?

Don
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 05:00:13 PM by Don1966 »

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 05:10:08 PM »
Don, that's the type of discussion I'm looking for. I'm not sure what the DH will allow me to do on the lathe, that wouldn't be easier to do on the mill anyway.
I had thought about riser blocks for the mill.  Also thinking of getting the mill table from the 3-in-one style SEIG machine and adapting it to the lathe fpr line boring, milling, etc.

Chuck

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 05:24:57 PM »
Chuck another way is to make a new cross slide and put T-slots in it, but they would have to be 1/4". My be able to make them 5/16". Do you plan on doing some milling on the lathe?

Don

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 05:37:05 PM »
No, not a lot of milling as I have an X2, but it would be nice to have that capability. I would like to line bore cylinders though.

Chuck

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 06:10:48 PM »
They do make a milling attachment for the lathe.

Don

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 12:56:28 AM »
Hi Chuck,

I don't have the lathe that you have, but Southbend, Hercus and the like have, I'm pretty sure, accessories that fit into the top slide fitting on the cross slide. Is it possible to do something like that on yours? It may have to be by way of an adapter.

Hugh.

Offline weldersmate

• Diss, Norfolk, UK.
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 03:14:37 PM »
Hi Chucketn, If you want help with your deviding head build you can do no better than watch Doubleboost's channel on youtube. He has casted his own parts and machined them to fit the lathe and mill, heres the link to the first video.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKwwMGba8wU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKwwMGba8wU</a>
                                                                                         Regards Weldersmate.

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 10:58:41 PM »
Weldersmate, I'm a devoted fan of Doubleboost. I have watched and saved all his videos. I'm currently fitting out my foundry to cast the body and banjo.
Chuck

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal