Author Topic: my empire expands!  (Read 17940 times)

Offline peatoluser

• liverpool UK
my empire expands!
« on: August 21, 2013, 09:40:19 PM »
having worked from a bench squeezed into the garage for the past few years

I finally got the money and permission to buy my own workspace. part of garden cleared, flags laid and here she is - delivered and erected today 8ft. by 6ft.

first thing I did was to lay some 6mm ply on the floor and then covered it with an offcut of lino.

and....a new shed needs some new tools.....and I've always missed the ability to drill decent size holes more than the lack of any milling facilities...
so here's my new toy

ONE SHED!  ONE LOCK!!    ONE KEY!!!!   (insert maniacal laughter here)  MY OWN KINGDOM!!!  and the only rubbish that will ever find it's way in there is the rubbish that I will make!

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
Re: my empire expands!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 09:44:40 PM »
Fill 'er up sunshine, have too much fun!

Hugh.

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 09:53:23 PM »
ONYA!  :ThumbsUp:

As Hugh said, get 'er filled up and productive!
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 09:59:19 PM »
BEFORE You fill it.............

Get some insulation material in the gaps between the joists and panel it with some 1/2" or 3/4" ply on the inside.

I did it with mine using 50mm polystyrene sheet from the builders merchants, it keeps it cool in Summer and warm in Winter.
What you need to avoid is sudden temperature changes which cause condensation and RUST, insulate the walls and ceiling and rust is a thing of the past trust me.
Now is the time to do it whilst it is empty, once you have it lined, paint it white inside. Then get plenty of double sockets wired in while you can route the cables easily.

Phil

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 10:07:28 PM »
I agree Peter, insulation and any other wiring is best done now....but then have at it....fill it up with toys!!! Looks good though, wish I had as much space!!

Bill

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 11:38:10 PM »
Here's one for ya's P'. This link will take you to a home page and over on the left is a listing for "dream shop", it is a planer that you can layout an existing shop or a new shop and features machines of different sizes and even electrical outlets and doors, windows. Pretty neat actually.

http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.aspx

BC1
Jim

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 12:07:00 AM »
and the only rubbish that will ever find it's way in there is the rubbish that I will make!

Have you cleared that with SWMBO yet?

"What? You have that giant shed and you won't let me store my boxes of Xmas decorations in one little corner?  Well, we'll see about that."
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline dsquire

• Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 12:12:25 AM »
and the only rubbish that will ever find it's way in there is the rubbish that I will make!

Have you cleared that with SWMBO yet?

"What? You have that giant shed and you won't let me store my boxes of Xmas decorations in one little corner?  Well, we'll see about that."

Marv

Is that the voice of experience talking?

Cheers

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 04:21:54 AM »
I have to agree with Marv. Happens all the time..... :o...........first a couple small boxes then a larger one then its you're in the way, how am I going to fit all this in with all your junk in here >:D >:D :lolb:
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 04:57:20 AM »
In our home we don't have a walk in wardrobe we have a walk in for her left out for him wardrobe........ah well I always liked the spare room wardrobe  :ROFL:

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 05:51:34 AM »
........ah well I always liked the spare room wardrobe  :ROFL:

That's mine as well  ;D

But what should be the third bedroom does have the Cowells in it  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 06:03:46 AM »

But what should be the third bedroom does have the Cowells in it  ;)

Jo

I'm sitting in it only we call it the Кабинет............Study. And it's almost mine...........except for a roll top desk, chair, some Russian Dictionaries and DVD's which are Galina's.

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 07:45:22 AM »
Here's one for ya's P'. This link will take you to a home page and over on the left is a listing for "dream shop", it is a planer that you can layout an existing shop or a new shop and features machines of different sizes and even electrical outlets and doors, windows. Pretty neat actually.

http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.aspx

BC1
Jim

Pretty cool. It does help to have a plan.

I did mine on Solidworks 3D CAD when we moved house and workshop five years ago. See attached PDF.
I have moved some bits around since, but it is more or less how I planned it.

The garage is a standard size single, and houses my two old motorcycles, my vintage car and all the dirt making equipment such as grinders and belt sanders etc.
The shed is one I had purpose made and is 16' X 12' with a really strong floor and roof and double asymetric doors.

Phil

Offline PJW

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 07:50:34 AM »
I have almost finished building my new workshop, it is 16ft  x 8ft, I have insulated both the walls & roof installed a ring main with plenty of sockets and have 3  five foot lights. I now have a 16ft long bench with my lathe on the opposite side with my miller. I have constructed it on my own & it has taken me approx 3 months hard work, but well worth it!
I made the floor placed the lathe, which is quite heavy & built the shed around it.
Old Guys Rule the Dark Side of the Shed!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »
Well done guys. It looks like you are all doing well with your new workshops  :ThumbsUp:.

My "man shed" is still on the cards, next stage is to build a new wood store, then I can clear the grounds. The quote is in and within budget... but like you Peter I fear that fitting it out might take me a few months once it is done. (I cannot see buying the new tools taking anything like as long but there will be lots of space to fill ;D)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal