Author Topic: my empire expands!  (Read 17943 times)

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
Re: my empire expands!
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2013, 08:12:20 PM »
you forgot to do the door lagging and 3/8 ply will stiffen it up no end

decent pad lock with coach bolts to secure it, don't forget to put some through the hinges both died and moving bit

you don't want the scrotes unscrewing the hinges or lock

these are pretty good http://www.abus.com/uk/Security-at-Home/Padlocks/Granit

they do the hasps as well

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2013, 03:44:15 AM »
Embroidery & quilting ::) is there no end to your talents??? but I agree make it as unappealing as possible or it will be taken from you.  :lolb:
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2013, 08:24:36 AM »
There is a easy way out of shed encroachment
just but her/him one of their own QED

Stuart

PS thats what I have done all the gardening stuff goes in Linda's none in mine ( hang on a min there is some of my stuff large propane bottle spare, fire bricks ) in Linda's shed  :pinkelephant:
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2013, 10:08:24 AM »
Just a thought about your door locks and security.

I have made my doors so there are no locks visible on the outside face, the only thing you see is a small handle to actuall pull the door open with, this would easily snap off if anyone tried to pry the door open with it when it is locked.
My door is actually two doors one wider than the other, I use the narrow one for normal access but have the facility to open both if need to get "big stuff" in  ;D I also boxed in and insulated the doors in the same way as the walls. Coach bolts through the hinges as already suggested is an absolute must.

I threw away the cheap bolt and padlock, these are so easy to break off or cut off with a battery powered angle grinder.
Instead I fitted two five lever door locks, one near the top and one near the bottom, these are the same as you probably already have on your house doors. The only thing visible from the outside is the two small keyholes.

If a determined thief wants to get in, they will just smash through the wood or take a circular saw to it, but you need to slow down or put off the casual scroats who are looking to nick stuff on an opportunistic basis. That is the reason I had my workshop made with no windows in it, if they cannot see it they are less likely to want to pinch it.

Phil

Offline peatoluser

• liverpool UK
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2013, 12:54:18 PM »
Once again thanks for the advice. have got a good quality hasp ready to replace the flimsy one supplied, but never gave a thought to replacing the hinge screws with coach bolts. that's now on the to-do list. also like the idea of stiffening the door with thicker ply - I was just going to use the thinnest I could get. Also like Phils idea of using a house door type lock as well. food for thought.

once again, thanks

peter

Offline peatoluser

• liverpool UK
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2013, 11:40:49 AM »
Well, I've finally finished kitting out the shed. And I'm full of admiration for Arnold and all those others with bigger work spaces than mine to tidy - hats off to you gentlemen (and ladies of course!) There's a lot more draws than before. This way I've avoided cluttering up the walls with shelving. I have but one, mainly for the radio and reference books. the shelves are very basic in structure. When it comes to woodwork I'm a strictly saw, glue and screw man - hell, when it comes to working with wood I can make the proverbial 'Russian tank finish' look like it came out of a Rolls Royce toolroom!
I think the only novel features I've incorporated are my two sliding shelves for metal storage, and a small piece of stone worktop that sits on the end of the shelf. I don't have a digital height gauge but use a scribing block and ruler. with it being at eye level it's so much easier to read and set before transferring to a rather larger chunk of worktop that acts as my surface plate - and I also remembered to fit some 'Marv strips' around the edges of my benches . With these and white lino on the floor I may stand a chance against those thieving small part gremlins!

I've fitted a 4 double socket ring main and lighting circuit, i just have to now wait for the electrician to permanently wire it to the house and decide where I'm going to put the lathe and bench grinder and I can start making swarf again!
The only cloud on the horizon has been the dont-think-your-disappearing-in-there-all-the-time-theres-still-this-list-of-jobs-to-get-through-etc lecture.
Ah well , i thought it was too good to last. I've hidden the key, but I think it might be a good idea to put the newspaper back on the windows when I was painting it. the benches are all nice and empty and I don't want to give prying eyes any ideas about squatters rights!

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2013, 05:39:09 PM »
and I also remembered to fit some 'Marv strips' around the edges of my benches . With these and white lino on the floor I may stand a chance against those thieving small part gremlins!

Just out of curiosity, what material did you use for the strips?

Does the fixed jaw of the vise extend beyond the edge of the bench?  I can't tell from the photos.

White "draw" (is that how drawer is spelled in Britain?) fronts?  I hope they're painted with something that can stand up to the solvents needed to remove the greasy fingerprints.

It looks great.  Now make an oil lamp and burn some sulphurated cutting oil to infuse it with an odor that SWMBO will find disagreeable. :-)
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2013, 06:03:09 PM »
Looks grand.
Not it's time to dirty it up.
I'd like pictures of the place one year from today.

What with Arnold's shop redo, I'm seriously suffering from envy and depression.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline peatoluser

• liverpool UK
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2013, 08:37:43 PM »
Marv,
the strips seem to be of a soft rubber compound, a hollow double D in cross section, self adhesive  for draught proofing. Quite easy to pull apart to make two D strips if you want. Stuck quite well to the new bench, but it may not last long on the rather oil soaked original.

yes, the jaw does extend beyond the edge of the bench, but only by about 3mm

erm...'draw'.... that's down to my bad spelling... The paint? it's the same as on the walls, eggshell. I was going to paint them a darker colour, but decided to finish the tin off. they've had 3 coats each. I'm hoping that the white colour will make me keep on top of the cleaning. SWMBO just laughed when I told her that.

A thumbs up for point number 4!

Zee, pictures promised. I fully intend to try and keep it clean, but alas, I think this could be more hope over experience!

peter
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 03:07:35 PM by peatoluser »

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2013, 05:50:28 PM »
That looks great Pete  :ThumbsUp:

And the admiration goes to you blokes with small shops; it's amazing how you manage to fit things in such small spaces!

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline peatoluser

• liverpool UK
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2015, 11:55:33 PM »
well , it's nearly two years in the shed. looking a lot more grubby and lived in now. the Marv strip on the old bench didn't stay stuck for long , but the one on the new bench (which I use for assembly etc.) is still there and has come in handy in saving the odd dropped part or screw.
The reason for resurrecting an old thread is that a new toy has appeared in my kingdom!

and a mill needs the usual selection of goodies to go with it!

but the first thing I done was to hacksaw the sides off an old toothbrush so I can clean out the tee slots when I start making swarf

and replace the slide lock screws with hex head ones so I can use my flex shaft .well, saves faffing about with the small allen key

I purchased a large toolmakers vice to go with it. figured the ground squareness of it would come in handy.
If I fit it in line with the for and aft axis ,It makes it difficult to get to the clamp screw (hence the change to hex head bolts and flex-driver)
but when fitted longitudinally , it couldn't be bolted down.

so first job was to make some specific clamps to allow this

but I really wanted a little bit more versatility in positioning the vice, so thought to hell with it , got out the angle grinder and went to work

P.S. note the glasses case screwed to the wall by the door. Now that's saved me time in hunting down my safety specs!
after roughing out with the grinder, it was a case of 'let's see what these carbide end mills are made of'
as the vice is "high quality alloy steel carburised to a surface hardness of HRC58-62" whatever that means, it turns out the end mills are made out of some pretty hard steel! You could tell the vice is hardened by the way they where struggling to cut , but I did get both new grooves cleaned up. Although the end mill is now at the back of the drawer marked 'for emergency use only!' And I could have done with a large angle plate to clamp the vice to, instead of relying on clamping it to the table - no wonder the more experienced caution that the cheap part of buying a mill is actually buying the mill! it's the tooling that costs

and here it is back on the table. slightly more options now on clamping it down. Now all I need to do is fit a removable fence to the front of the cross table and it will be a breeze to line up.

thanks for looking

peter

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2015, 12:05:59 AM »
Nice addition Peter, and the "new" shop is still looking good even after almost 2 years :)

Bill

Offline mechman48

• Retired maint.Eng.
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2015, 06:47:48 PM »
Nice 'man cave ' Peter  :ThumbsUp: but it's toooooo clean, do you plan on dirtying it up a bit  :thinking: ? be careful tho' SWMBO  :Director: will be keeping an eye on it & if it gets too 'dirty' ... :slap:  Have fun...  :whoohoo:

George.
George.

Offline Dullnote

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2016, 02:38:18 PM »
Hi just looking through you photos for your workshop, very impressed, hope you don't mind I am going to steal your idea to store your steel

Jim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal