Author Topic: molding bench  (Read 3143 times)

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
molding bench
« on: September 26, 2013, 12:25:47 AM »
I'm setting up my foundry almost from scratch. A friend is helping me make a Vontorne muller. Now I need a molding bench and want to get it built before the muller is available. Are there any good molding bench plans available? I will be using green sand to start.
I have a couple ideas but want to ask the experienced to avoid design errors. What plans did you build from? I need to know basic dimensions and useful features. I'm thinking 24" x 48" and 12-24" deep, slats on top for holding flasks, room underneath for tubs to hold new/mulled sand.
Is 1/2" plywood strong enough or should I go with 3/4"? Should I divide it into 2 sections for conditioned vs. used sand?
Show us pictures of your molding bench, any special features, why you like/dislike your bench.
Thanks in advance.

Chuck

Offline Tjark

• Woldendorp, Netherlands
Re: molding bench
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 09:49:10 AM »
Chuck the only plans I have found over the years where the plans in the included PDF file.
I use an old part cleaner bench.
It was given to me by a friend because the pump was broken and replacing these pumps costs almost the same as a  new bench.
Maybe you are be able to get hold off one off those benches also.

Tjark.

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 11:28:15 AM »
  Tjark,
Thanks gfor your comments. I found the Ray-Vin plans you posted. I think I will start from there. I see a few mods to those plans. I found another plan that uses just 1 sheet of plywood and a few 2x4s that is similar.
How do you like your bench? Would you change anything?

Chuck

Offline Tjark

• Woldendorp, Netherlands
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 06:59:16 PM »
Chuck, the only thing I would change is the wide off the table.
This one is 77 cm  (around 30 inches) wide, one model bigger is 113 cm ( around 44 inches) wide.
Then I (you) would have more room for the molding table (thick massive plate) and is the molding sand easier to acces.
But for me it is a hobby and I am very happy  with this table
You have only remove the pump and make a thick table plate on the site where the pump has been.
On the open site  ( I not have a fixed table plate so have more room) you can shake out the casting from the molding boxes (flasks).

Tjark.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal