Author Topic: AFCF1 - a little French flame licker  (Read 17522 times)

Offline jwcnc1911

AFCF1 - a little French flame licker
« on: August 15, 2013, 05:12:54 AM »
Hello all,

Here is a quick "catch up" of the little French flame licker.  AFCF1 designed by Christoph Fournier.

Hope you enjoy the flyby build log - I'm almost finished with the little engine.

These 7 things remain to be done:
1.  bore and ream the cylinder
2.  make the piston
3.  make piston pin
4.  trim the bearing pin
5.  make the pin for the connecting rod
6.  make the tiny valve spring
7.  get it to run   :hammerbash:

And here is a photo summary of how the engine stands now:

With permission of the original designer I have uploaded a copy of the translated drawings (unless something went wrong with the upload process - if it did, email me for a copy).
----------
JW

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
Re: AFCF1 - a little French flame licker
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 05:31:55 AM »
Nice set of photos Jeremy.  Looking forward to see it run.

Vince

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 07:25:24 AM »
I thought you meant translated in to English and then I saw the imperial measurements... Must be American English  :Jester:

Thanks for the drawings  :ThumbsUp:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

fcheslop

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 12:22:39 PM »
A very nice build Jeremy, I've had the drawings for a couple of years . I see you have made some nice styling changes
The plastic base maybe a problem as all the flame lickers Iv built run very hot and the bases also tend to become rather hot after a decent run.
Many thanks for the drawings as these may be updated to the ones I have as theres a change to the cam
best wishes

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 12:28:20 PM »
Nice work Jeremy, the design reminds me a lot of Phillip Duclos design though more stylish.  I am a bit concerned that both the cylinder and piston are brass though. Have you considered graphite for the piston?  Looking forward to seeing this one run!!

Bill

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 01:02:45 PM »
My,my, that is an attractive looking engine. Great job of documenting your progress Jeremy and thank you for sharing the drawings with us.  :ThumbsUp:

BC1
Jim

Offline jwcnc1911

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 02:45:42 PM »
Thank you for the compliments gentleman!  Any time on the drawings - if I can get permission to share I certainly will.
Quote from: fcheslop

The plastic base maybe a problem as all the flame lickers Iv built run very hot and the bases also tend to become rather hot...
Thank you for the advice - this is my first flame licker.  I'm going to be fixing the lexan to a stained wood base.  Having said that, do you think I should scrap the idea or do you think it's worth trying considering it will be fixed to a wood base?

I thought you meant translated in to English and then I saw the imperial measurements... Must be American English  :Jester:

Jo

Yeah, we don't speak the king's English or buy his tea any more!   :stickpoke:  :lolb:
----------
JW

fcheslop

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 05:48:30 PM »
Just not sure to be honest.I really like the look of the clear base and as its already made theres nothing to lose . I think over time it may become a little worn looking.
My little Blazer after about a ten minute run the base is too hot to hold in your hand for any length of time.
As already mentioned by Bill a graphite piston maybe a good idea.
Its my next  fit in build so watching avidly.
cheers

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 03:37:12 AM »
If you can't go graphite for the piston, it might be worth trying a light weight cast iron one.  I don't like your chances with the Lexon base, I think that even wood would have difficuly withstanding the heat.  I imagine that the origional motor had a metal base.   A heat proof tile, or similar may well do, or there may be some types of glass. Your motor looks great.      Ian S C

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 03:55:37 AM »
Jeremy that's turning into a nice looking engine. Great job.

Don

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 04:36:00 AM »
Albeit might be a bit pricey, I think that Ian may have the right idea about some type of glass as a base. I personally rather fancy the look myself, it is different and the main parts of the engine are accentuated more.

BC1
Jim

Offline jwcnc1911

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 04:40:19 AM »
Thank you gentlemen for the compliments!

Ian,  I've had my doubts about the Lexan from day one.  I just happen to have that beautiful unscratched piece and thought it would look unique.  I hadn't considered glass.  I do want the look of the Lexan.  I'd have to learn how to drill the glass for the mounting holes.  The original did call for a brass base and piston as well.

Other than weight reduction, any other benefits to graphite?

If the following links work out there should be some YouTube videos of the original running like crazy:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqb-zVcaCaE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqb-zVcaCaE</a>

And a few others built by other people:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnyXTs0LGHQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnyXTs0LGHQ</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNZ7kIGVq-g" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNZ7kIGVq-g</a>

*These links aren't working in the preview, maybe the moderation could help me a bit?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 04:49:34 AM by jwcnc1911 »
----------
JW

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 09:07:46 AM »
All three links are working just fine for me :ThumbsUp:

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 09:09:47 AM »

Jo

Hey hey hey!.....you may have dreamed up this language...but we made it better!....... 8)
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 01:13:01 PM »
Jeremy,

Something as simple as a piece of gasket material between the metal parts and the clear base may be enough to isolate the heat and if the same thickness is used throughout , shouldn't mess up any of the vertical alighment of the engine.  JUst a thought since you already have the clear base made As for the graphite piston, the main benefit is that it will be self lubricating. With a metal piston in a metal cylinder, you will have to apply some graphite powder fromt time to time to lubricate these parts.

Bill
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 01:18:05 PM by b.lindsey »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal