Author Topic: Hip - Hip - Hurray  (Read 2891 times)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Hip - Hip - Hurray
« on: August 13, 2013, 08:59:51 PM »
I bought my house six years ago with the intention of making a workshop. Unfortunately I had to buy one that requested quite a bit of TLC, so the workshop only started to really take shape this spring. At the same time I was offered a Suzuki LS 650 with a dead engine for next to nothing - I've been thingking about converting one from "a waste of time" IE. chopper to an old English style Cafe Racer - but this offer meant that I could fix it and use the profit to pay for a new lathe  :)

I unfortunately started to get interesting parts for it about the same time friends of mine begged me to do the Cafe Racer project and that was the end of any kind of profit, au contraire - I used too much money on it to have any chance of buying the lathe I dreamt of (it didn't help that the price to quite a hike upwards in the meantime)  :(

So I got the idea of looking for a cheap second hand lathe sunday and yesterday evening my brother in law helped me fetching this for a mere € 500  :whoohoo:

It's in a good shape, but needs a bit of cleaning.

There was no "Pinol drill bit" so I used a normal HSS bit to make a place for the fixed center.

The few HSS toolbits where poorly shaped, but in my third try I got it right - the cut is about .1 mm.

I first thought that the "jaws" in the chuck where too porly when I inspected the result. You can see that the end towards the chuck isn't perfect.

But the runout is only.

All in all I'm pretty chuffed  :cartwheel:  time for  :DrinkPint:

Hmmm - where's my pictures ?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 03:22:25 PM by Admiral_dk »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Hip - Hip - Hurray
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 09:17:37 PM »
Sounds nice Admiral, but I can't see the pictures either :(

Bill

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
  • North Jersey
    • MadModder
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 09:26:12 PM »
Fixed your pictures...

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 03:16:59 PM »
Hi Brass_Machine

Than you very much - what did I do wrong (with the pictures) ?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal