Author Topic: Coke Bottle Mill Engine ( working style)  (Read 83380 times)

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
Re: Coke Bottle Mill Engine ( working style)
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2013, 12:12:55 PM »

-------------------------------- MASON DIXON LINE------------------------------

Capt'n Jerry, can you count the divisions on that long neck cap. All I got right now is some cans and Lou won't let me go get no more beer. Made a C-O-C using the head casting and by Willie's there is a nuff meat there :LittleDevil:

Eric

Looks like 20 teeth.  I don't keep a protractor in the refrigerator so you will have to eyeball the angle.  Send me a drawing of the head with the dimensions and bolt locations.  I might be able to help you out.

Jerry
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 12:22:00 PM by Captain Jerry »
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2013, 02:21:38 PM »
I checked PMR but they don't seem to have a Mason jar mill engine. :) Seriously though, I'm looking forward to a "beginner build" of this engine. It looks like it might just be possible on Sherline machines.
Alan

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2013, 07:26:31 PM »
Well folks, it's a strange August day here in Tennessee. The sun is shining, it's 75 degrees, and humidity is near nothing. I left the store with the girls and opened all the doors on my shop or shed if you prefer. As Don1966 said; Let's get on with it. And so I did. This post, I hope leaves you all in tears of laughter as I shed both kind of tears in it's making. All will be explained.

plans are laid

set-up made

the other end was set up and cut, I'm happy with the finish and forgot pics
Target  was 4.875

all in all I was pretty happy with my first cuts and THEN; what I didn't ( and won't) show is when I turned the camera strap caught the casting and sent it to the floor. It kinda bounce up. Now, when something jumps up from the floor at an old country boy he's gonna do one of two things, run or stomp the living breath out of it. I wish I had run. Yes, I stomped it. The crank bearing stand is proud of the base and Yes, it snapped like a pretzel. No, I didn't take pics, I cursed, then busted out laughing. Less than 20squid and a new one will be here in a day or two. I hope you all laugh with me, however I didn't intend on the first real doing something post to turn out quite this way. But, that's just old Whiskey for you :lolb:

Whiskey

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2013, 07:44:08 PM »
I sure hope you were wearing proper stomping boots those castings are not as squishy as things that usually jump up and can damage your foot.  :ROFL:

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2013, 08:36:27 PM »
No excuses then you have one to practise your machining techniques on and a second to get right  ;)

Is there some holes to drill in that base... You might want to bolt it to a plate to make things easier to hold for machining and squaring up.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2013, 08:41:54 PM »
I would probably have left machining the top for now prefering to do it at the same time as boring the trunk guide to ensure they are true and concentric to each other.

J

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
Dang! Now why didn't yer just haul out the ol' hawg leg and shoot the crittur? :Lol:

Seriously tho - it might be repairable, put up a pic anyway.
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Online mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2013, 09:42:26 PM »
Clumsy bastard.*

I have to admit I've mangled a lot of parts but I've never involuntarily stomped one to death out of fear.

And, yes, Jason's remark should have been covered when you made the machining sequencing document I mentioned in an earlier post.  Ditto Jo's remark about bolting the casting to something on which you can get a proper grip.

------
A form of endearment used by our old friend, John Stevenson, when one of us does something especially clumsy or stupid - kind of like the mandatory "You suck" remark whenever someone makes a gloat-worthy acquisition.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2013, 09:58:34 PM »
I've felt like stomping a few but so far have resisted.  Sorry about the mishap Eric, but lessons learned are good too. Hey...it could have been the camera you stomped instead!!

Bill

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2013, 10:01:28 PM »
Thanks Jo. My grandpappy told me to never make excuses. If I had a reason, then that was acceptable.
My reason was I was clumsy. The size 11US Engineer boot hill was the culprit. Yes there are bolt holes for the frame to base, however, the 2 vee block setup fit the casting so well, I gave it a go and had great success. I flipped it over, sat in on the parallels and skimmed the top to dimension. No chatter, just a nice smooth cut. I might have found a weak casting, I might have just been taking out a lot of frustration. Now, I'm thinking I may need to look at my clamping technique. The first worked so well I hate to change. My first foray in castings and I redneck it up. Jason, you're probably right. I just thought I needed to get the frame square and use the cylinder surface as my datum. Tel, since all the mentally disturbed idiots in me good old USofA have gone on shooting sprees the price of ammo has gone through the roof. A box of 50 22 long hollow points now go for upwards of $8US. My beloved .45Long Colt is now near $2US per round. As bad as I would loved to pop a cap in it's arse, it's cheaper to just reorder :LittleDevil: And yes Jo and Tel, I'm going to use it for me template and I could do a little grinding and a bit of brazing and use it, but, for $18US I'll screw up another one :lolb:. You're right Marv, I am. The two vee blocks fit the casting great and where the curvature of the frame progresses fit into the eve block as well. When I turned it over the bottom sat nicely on the parallels and clamped up firmly in the vice. I just find it hard to believe I stuffed it up wit me boot hill and not a machine. Now that's country.

Whiskey

Whiskey

PS Thanks Dave :naughty:

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2013, 10:25:45 PM »
What can I say...................

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blghTWXqwys" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blghTWXqwys</a>
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2013, 10:30:39 PM »
I am still laughing my back side off having this picture in my head of you shrieking like a little school girl in fear, all the while stomping the p**s out of a poor unsuspecting casting rolling around on the floor!!! EEEEEEKK!!!!  :pinkelephant:  ....  :lolb: :lolb: :lolb:   Too funny man. Keep the old casting if it didn't succumb to your rather cruel and unusual punishment and get all distorted out of shape. It could probably be resurrected. That is unless you still need it for a dance partner some cold and lonely evening.  :slap:  what? 

BC1
Jim

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2013, 10:32:20 PM »
the price of ammo has gone through the roof. A box of 50 22 long hollow points now go for upwards of $8US.

I paid $29Au for three boxes yesterday  :( Still, you can shoot a lot of castings for that!
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2013, 10:39:58 PM »
..............."shoot it again Luke, it's still kickin".....................

:Lol:

BC1
Jim

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2013, 11:08:29 PM »
I'm tickled we can all get a laugh out of this one and all for less than a $20. Hell, I couldn't buy you all a drink for that. Now after JasonB and Jo' post it started me thinking. I do love principle and theory. I could have shaved the bottom smooth, mounted it to faceplate, clocked it true around the cylinder end, faced the cylinder end, left it mounted and turned the cylinder end to proper OD and bored to dimension. Now, why can't I square two ends parallel, center the bore, and use a boring head on both ID and OD, a la Dave Otto style and achieve the same results. If we trust our machines to be true and accurate, and our set- ups are spot on, then shouldn't our bores be square with our work piece. I'm just exploring here.

Whiskey

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal