Author Topic: An inline 6 cylinder OHV engine  (Read 120080 times)

Offline gbritnell

Re: An inline 6 cylinder OHV engine
« Reply #345 on: February 21, 2014, 01:42:58 AM »
And finally for today some overall shots of the engine on the mounts with the carb and air filter housing in place.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #346 on: February 21, 2014, 01:49:46 AM »
George,
This is another of your finest projects, and truly inspirational. Thank you for showing to us. :praise2: :praise2:
Mosey

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #347 on: February 21, 2014, 02:40:52 AM »
Beautiful and totally amazing!!!  I'm a loss for words that is one amazing looking piece.

Offline RickBarnes

« Reply #348 on: February 21, 2014, 02:58:58 AM »
Wow!  That is beautiful. That straight six makes me miss my old Ford. Yours probably runs better and uses less oil.

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #349 on: February 21, 2014, 01:22:54 PM »
Brilliant George

Offline gary hart

• Vancouver, WA, USA
« Reply #350 on: February 21, 2014, 01:34:59 PM »
Awesome,  inspirational

toolznthings

« Reply #351 on: February 21, 2014, 01:59:07 PM »
Hello George ,
Can't wait to see it run ! Glad your back up to speed in the shop ! :)
Brian

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #352 on: February 21, 2014, 02:36:57 PM »
George,
Do you have a routine for getting a finished engine ready to run? Such as, taking apart and cleaning crankcase parts? Torquing internal bolts, ie., big ends, bearing caps, etc.? Adjusting valves?
Setting timing?
How do you break in a new engine?
What do you use for fuel?
When they run for the first time, do you smoke a Cuban cigar with a glass of old wine?   :cartwheel: :cartwheel:
Mosey

Offline Camm-1

• Sweden
« Reply #353 on: February 21, 2014, 04:32:32 PM »
Just love her :Love:

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #354 on: February 21, 2014, 04:33:50 PM »
Hi Mosey,
Although outwardly this engine is almost finished I have some internal work yet to do so the entire engine will be pulled apart to do the few final machining operations. Once complete everything will be oiled and assembled. I do have some beak in time on the engine (running in the lathe between centers) but will give it a little more. The timing will be set, the valves adjusted, the fuel hooked up and the engine spun over. I usually set the air bleed on the carb to half open with the needle valve closed and the throttle cracked a little above the idle position. As I'm cranking the engine over I slowly open the needle valve until I get some kind of firing. I play with the needle valve until the engine continues to run. At this point usually the engine won't rev up because the mixture is adjusted for the air bleed opening and goes lean when trying to throttle it. From here I open the needle valve and open the throttle simultaneously until it will rev up. Now when the throttle goes back to idle one of two things will happen, the engine will go rich in which case I open the air bleed screw some more or it will go lean and the air bleed needs to be closed a little. Calculating the air bleed hole size and adjustment takes a little doing some time.
Now this is if everything goes right. If not then playing around with timing and such is required.
I have done this enough times that I have a baseline for timing and carb settings so I can usually come close right from the start.
I use pump gasoline, 86 octane. I have always had good luck with this fuel so that's what I use.
gbritnell

Offline Camm-1

• Sweden
« Reply #355 on: February 21, 2014, 05:04:17 PM »
I wonder if you have any idea of how many days you spent on this build?
I have build only on evenings and weekends in 5 month on my six.
Ove

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #356 on: February 21, 2014, 06:38:29 PM »
Hi Ove,
I really don't keep track of hours any more when I'm building something. I looked at the first drawing I made and it was dated August 13, 2013. I finished all the block drawings, (5) before I started to build so I probably made my first cuts around August 24th. To really tally the time I would have to add in the design and drawing time so if you take 6 months x 22 days x 5 hours average you end up with about 700 hours. Now there was Thanksgiving and Christmas in that time so the 5 hours per day is an average. Some days I would spend 8-10 hours and some days 3-4. The 22 days per month is subtracting weekends. Here again on some weekends I would work a full 8 hours and some not at all.
gbritnell

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #357 on: April 08, 2014, 02:21:43 AM »
Gentlemen,
Boy it's been quite some time since I last reported. I'm finally home from Florida where I was helping my brother-in-law put some hot rod tractors together. Along with the week my wife and I spent there I have been gone for almost 6 weeks.
I finally got back into the shop and had my list of remaining items that needed to be completed on the engine so the whole engine was torn down.
gbritnell

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #358 on: April 08, 2014, 02:26:44 AM »
First on the agenda was the crankshaft. I had never put keyways into it because I didn't know exactly which way I was going to go at the beginning. I used the fixture plate that I had made when I first started on the engine. The crank was bolted to it and aligned so the key slots would be in line with the #1 cylinder at TDC. I put it in the mill vise and used a small Woodruff key cutter to cut the slots, one on each end. The fixture was then set vertically to drill and tap for the front pulley bolt.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #359 on: April 08, 2014, 02:31:50 AM »
Next up was the rear main bearing. When I originally made it I machined a groove for an O ring to be used as an oil seal. The problem was not having the proper O ring on hand when I machined it, I just assumed it to have a .062 cross section, which it didn't. It is actually .068 and wouldn't go into the recess. I tried to chuck it in my 4 jaw chuck but couldn't get it square to I had to make a small fixture plate to mount it to. This was then mounted in the 4 jaw and the groove was opened up to the correct size.
Job 2 finished.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal