Author Topic: An inline 6 cylinder OHV engine  (Read 120390 times)

Offline gbritnell

Re: An inline 6 cylinder OHV engine
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2013, 01:08:11 AM »
Hi Hugh,
The clamps didn't pose a problem as the rpm was so slow it didn't affect  the balance. Years ago I was making a crank and I turned up a piece of tubing with about a 1/16 wall. I cut short sections from it then split it. These were then clamped onto the crank to stiffen it. That crank was a little smaller than this one. I was going to do the same for this crank and I thought, "how about just using the clamps?" I find every day is still a learning experience!
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2013, 11:34:29 AM »
Wonderful stuff George. Once the counterweights are machined into it the crankshaft alone will be a work of art!!

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2013, 01:23:36 PM »
Bill is right George it is a work of art. I am having trouble keeping up with what and how you are doing this. Keep those gorgeous photos coming. I await your next class lesson.

Don

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2013, 03:26:48 PM »

George, to digress just a bit, I'm making spark plugs to your plan and I have a question about the electrode. In full size plugs the electrode sticks up above the insulator a small amount. But it appears that your plugs have the electrode even with insulator.  Is that correct?

I'm using Corian as I was given quite q few samples. Is there a danger of the Corian melting, and what is the plug gap?

Thank you for all you do on the forums to help us build our projects.

Ron

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2013, 09:50:05 PM »

George, to digress just a bit, I'm making spark plugs to your plan and I have a question about the electrode. In full size plugs the electrode sticks up above the insulator a small amount. But it appears that your plugs have the electrode even with insulator.  Is that correct?

I'm using Corian as I was given quite q few samples. Is there a danger of the Corian melting, and what is the plug gap?

Thank you for all you do on the forums to help us build our projects.

Ron

Hello Ron! I have had Corian plugs in one of my engines for 3-1/2 years and they are still in good working order so you will be fine.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2013, 12:06:59 AM »

Thanks Steve. George answered my question on another site and mentioned that you use Corian.

Good to know it holds up.

Enough of this hijack, back to the straight six.  ;D ;D

Ron

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2013, 12:37:41 AM »
Gentlemen,
Today was cutting the extra stock from the throws. I tried to replicate the full sized crank as well as copying from a drawing can do. There had been some discussion about the odd shape of the counterweights but then you have to consider that the throws are 120 degrees apart so that makes any entirely different animal than what we have been used to making. I have no idea what it's going to do so we'll have to wait awhile to find out.
I put the crank in the mill vise to rough off the heavy stock and then transferred it to my fixture plate to do the final cuts. I really don't have any photos of the cutting as it was basically just removing stock from the throws. Upon finishing the corners were all radiused and the tool and file marks were polished out.
It's going to sit for quite some time before it gets installed so here's 3 pictures of the finished crank.
gbritnell

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2013, 12:50:31 AM »
Just as i had said earlier George...a work of mechanical art...wow!!! Not to mention the excellent write up of how you did it.

Bill
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 12:36:53 PM by b.lindsey »

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2013, 12:53:18 AM »
Gorgeous,just gorgeous George.  Its all been said before I can't add anymore than that.

Ron

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2013, 12:58:36 AM »
Wonderful George.  Hugh.

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2013, 02:24:00 AM »
There had been some discussion about the odd shape of the counterweights but then you have to consider that the throws are 120 degrees apart so that makes any entirely different animal than what we have been used to making. I have no idea what it's going to do so we'll have to wait awhile to find out.

Beautiful work as usual George.

I don't know which engine your model is based on or is it pure freelance? From memory most inline 6's used a harmonic balancer on the crankshaft and just maybe this accounts to some degree for the odd shape of the counterweights.

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2013, 03:08:01 AM »
Man that is a beautiful piece of work. George you are the man, and I have said it before you are a true craftsman. You my friend have all my respect. Awesome work and I like........... :praise2: :praise2: :praise2: :praise2: :AllHailTheKing:

Don

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2013, 12:20:17 PM »
Hi Bob,
It's going to be closely based on the Ford 300 inline six. I started with my 4 cylinder OHV engine and made the necessary changes. The cam will be moved to the other side of the block. The cam will have a helical gear mid-point to drive the distributor. The intake and exhaust will both mount on the same side of the head. I am going to drill the head for a couple of water passages, something that the 4 cylinder engine doesn't have.
gbritnell

Offline BronxFigs

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2013, 02:02:02 PM »
Mr. Britnell:

Referring to the crankshaft in post # 36, your last line:     ..."It's going to sit for quite sometime....."  Is the sitting before installing, because you want the crank to 'age' a little to see if it will warp, or,  because you still have to make the rest of the engine parts, etc/  Or, both?

Frank
90% of everything is BS!

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2013, 02:26:44 PM »
George, that is superb!  :o :ThumbsUp: I have a bit of a thing for the inline 6 as I have one in my car!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal