Author Topic: Sorting out the shed  (Read 4788 times)

Offline sigt

Sorting out the shed
« on: August 05, 2013, 10:09:16 PM »
Have made a start on sorting out the shed so I can actually get to and use the machines.

Having moved houses in April the new place has a lack of storage place compared to the old one.

We had cupboards in the shed and a storage area in the roof above the shed that became the repository of years of accumulated crud.

I now need a place to store the stuff as we sort through it and bin/sell/give away the stuff no longer required.

So here is the semi blank canvas:

A trip to the local bunnings, which apart from the wife is one of the biggest money reducing agents known to man and we have this.

A start is made, massively over-engineered, but certainly won't be going anywhere in a hurry. The wife reckons if a major earthquake hits it will probably be the only thing left standing.

Some undercoat and a couple of layers of topcoat and we now have this.

Even had enough timber left over to make a new workbench. Plenty of bracing in there for the vice and X2 to be bolted to.
Still needs doors fitted, and was thinking of a thin stainless sheet for the top, saw one tube video where marking out was done straight on the bench top and can just be wiped off.

The doors have been fitted, all that is left now is to move the power point that was very inconveniently placed, fit some trim round the side, paint the doors and fit handles.

Then attack the stack of boxes and hire a skip bin to dump the crap.

Getting closer.

Simon

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Sorting out the shed
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 10:21:04 PM »
Hey Simon,

It's a thankless job sorting out a shop...until it's done...and then you'll say to yourself...why didn't I do this sooner!.....at least I did!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 10:34:50 PM »
Greetings Simon,

Say, thanks for sharing the photos of your latest adventures, I like the looks of your construction and finish, Nice job  :ThumbsUp:  As I'm sure we all have gone through, when I put up the walls for my shop and finished them, I too was left with 'no place to hide' all of the *things* that at one time or another was held dear to my heart but after I put up some shelves and cabinets, the better part of it all was taken to the tip or given away. Funny thing is though, the vicious cycle has begun anew, go figure.  :slap: :hellno:

BC1
Jim

Offline Johnb

• John Browning, IDSME
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 10:37:00 PM »
Now that's some shed!

Round our way, sheds are made of shiplap timber with a tarred felt roof leaking in several places. I moved in (to the house) at the back end of June and I daren't sneeze in the shed in case it falls down. In time it will be replaced with something more suitable for a workshop. For now I use the kitchen (first metal bashed this evening).

Enjoy the new home!
John Browning. Member of Ickenham and District SME

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 10:19:08 PM »
Don't you love painting shelves?

Offline sigt

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 11:02:54 PM »
The painting was the least favourite part of the whole exercise. I had to stick in extra bracing as I only bought 12mm ply as it was on special and an extra length of 75x50 was not much.

Of course that meant that painting the undersides was a right royal pain in the a***.

Can't believe how expensive paint is though. A small 2 litre undercoat/primer and a 4 litre topcoat tin were over a $100. It was white paint not gold.

The speed pads made the rest of it a breeze. Only had to use a brush to get into the corners.

Simon

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 01:46:25 AM »
Looks great to me Simon. All that organization will pay dividends down the road if not sooner.

Bill

Offline Ginger Nut

• Woolnwood
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 07:32:49 AM »
Looks good like the big cupboard and doors everything of mine other than tool boxes is open to prying eyes.

Shelves are not hard to paint you paint (using spray gun or roller) prior installing then just touch up what ever need doing after

Offline ScroungerLee

• Southwest Connecticut, US, North America, Earth
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 07:43:29 PM »
That looks great, I am sure you will enjoy it.  You might consider a white or light colored sheet of "Formica" countertop for the bench.  I write on mine and clean it easily.  It won't dent like a metal top unless you use it as an anvil.

Lee
Mmmmm.... Shiny!

Offline sigt

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 10:02:44 PM »
Well it's moving along slowly, I need to make some more space so one of the Emco v10P's is up for sale. As usual for auctions lots of watchers no serious bidders yet.

I gave it a thorough cleaning on the weekend and swapped out some of the headstock gears which looked to have been chewed a bit. Don't know how the rats got in there but they obviously like tufnol.

One thing I didn't do when I got the machine was replace the oils. I should have done. It used to make a horrid noise when starting on high speed. I managed to track down the closest approximation to the SAE10 oil specified for the headstock, and it was a massive difference to what was actually in the headstock.

Along with little bits of rat droppings (bits of tufnol) there was also an allen key at the bottom. Looks like some one was trying to adjust the selectors and dropped it in and left it there.

So with the new correct oil in there, funny noises have gone away.

And now a sneak peak at the reason for needing more room.

Birthday is in a few weeks hoping it arrives in time.

Simon

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal