Author Topic: What Hall Sensor  (Read 2400 times)

Online ozzie46

What Hall Sensor
« on: August 02, 2013, 12:24:07 AM »

I have been on Digikey site to order parts for a Hall effect Ignition Circuit and as I have no electrical background or knowledge I can't figure out which Hall Effect Sensor to order.

Can some one advise me on this?

I have all the other parts in the "shopping cart" I just need the Hall Effect..

Thanks Ron

Offline gbritnell

Re: What Hall Sensor
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 12:43:13 AM »
Hi Ron,
Years ago when I got into Hall ignitions I was informed to use a HAL 506 UA sensor. It was referenced from several sources one of which was a site named: www.5bears.com. I ordered about 5-6 of them from the semiconductor store, http://www.semiconductorstore.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=6213  When I purchased some components from Digikey I did a search for that particular sensor but was directed to another component. I don't have that number off hand.
I've had good luck with the 506's although the replacement ones from Digikey worked well also. The only ones that didn't hold up were ones that I got from a supplier on Ebay. I don't know what the number was but I could only get a couple of runs on the engine before they would expire.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Online ozzie46

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 01:11:33 AM »

Thanks George. I  have that 506 # at "semiconductor store. ut I'm trying to keep everything on one site so I don't Have to order from multiple sites. I'm following  bill of materials from another site for the ignition circuit but it doesn't list the hall effect sensor.

Ron

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 01:19:46 AM »
See if you can find a Honeywell SS443A

Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 01:20:08 AM »
What you have to look for Ron, is the max current output and operating voltage of what ever device you use. Each device has a data sheet that can be downloaded. I would make sure to get one with at least 20Milliamps output and a voltage rating of at least over 12Volts.
There are latching Hall Sensors out there, so stay away from these.
The Hal 506 that George mentioned is a good choice it has  a 50MA max and a 20MA recommended operation current. The voltage is 24Volts Max and operates fine on 12Volts.
The SS443 is also a 20 MA device good choice.

Don

Online ozzie46

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 02:00:09 AM »

Thanks Steve and Don.

I found the one Steve mentioned and ordered it along with the other stuff I needed.

Ron

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal