Author Topic: Wireless DRO  (Read 13890 times)

Arbalest

Wireless DRO
« on: July 30, 2013, 11:30:55 AM »

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Re: Wireless DRO
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 11:53:13 PM »
I didn't understand but about one word in a sentence there, but a wireless link between the scales on
a Bridgeport and the readout would be very nice.  I am bit concerned about interference though, in an
electrical noisy environment.  Is this what that article is all about?
   ...Lew...

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 12:27:49 AM »
Oh I like that!....I can understand your concerns about electrical noise...but I bet they can be beat!...especially with AC motors....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 12:31:55 AM »
Yabbut, Lew, think about it.  Whenever you screw up a cut, you can blame:

overflying aircraft,
your neighbor's microwave,
the HAM down the street,
kids with electric guitars,
etc.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 04:01:21 AM »
It looks really interesting.  I really like the ability to use any Android device as the display.  That's pretty cool!

It looks like his prototypes have all the sensors wired to one transmitter though, so you'd still have wires running all over your machine back to the one transmitter.  What would be super cool is each axis had its own transmitter!

Maybe he's going there next. That would be the ultimate :)  But of course, more expensive...

Kim

Arbalest

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 01:43:07 PM »
It looks really interesting.  I really like the ability to use any Android device as the display.  That's pretty cool!

Kim

Yes, that's what I like about the idea.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 02:10:08 PM »
 :lolb: and get suds in the device and the face scratched by swarf and covered with oil, when you press the screen with your big fat finger.

And as Kim says you still have all the cables from the read heads just they go to the transmitter box rather than a display :headscratch: Even with separate transmitters you will need power, so its either lots of mains power leads dangling everywhere or lots of batteries which run down and give odd readings  :-X.

Now you just need all the whizz bang functionality of the DRO box in the Android app.... and a big enough screen to be able to read it and have the function buttons, I would have said a 10" tablet was a minimum  ;).

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 04:18:37 PM »
I like the idea, however, I've never much been overly excited about apps, (I'm a dinosaur in those terms :headscratch: ) and the ones that I do use, I find to be either awkward to use or they lack the full functionality I desire. I have to agree with Jo, this version does not seem to possess even the barest of functions (bolt circles) I suppose I am being a bit harsh in that these lacking bells and whistles 'could' I'm sure be added, and the additional X-mitters 'could' be wired accordingly, but one 'could', also purchase a full blown, fully functional setup and save a lot of the Mr. Wizard time involved in installing a DRO to a machine. I'd really like to see more of this setup as it progresses though.

And Marv, you forgot, living next to a nuclear power generating station could qualify as well  :stir:

BC1
Jim

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 04:32:18 PM »
Where it could be useful is if you have several machines all with DROs, you would not need a readout for each just open the app for whichever machine you are using and it will be set with the correct axis directions and mill or lathe orientation etc.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 04:56:48 PM »
 :lolb: Then carry it between machines, struggle to find somewhere safe to put it amongst the various tools sat next to the machine and next you hear "Oops, bang, tinkle, tinkle  :censored:"

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Arbalest

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 04:57:03 PM »
Well I guess I'm just a glass half full kind of guy but I'm happy Yuriy's trying it and giving us the benefit of his experience!  8)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 05:00:53 PM »
And they make tough cases for the droids...if I can't kill one....there's hope!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 06:32:33 PM »
I guess I still don't "get it".  I've been reading science fiction since the mid 1940's and an "Android " is
a robot that is built like a human .
   ...lew...

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 07:06:32 PM »
Admiral,

The "Android" is a "smart phone"...and it has full internet access like your computer, phone, GPS, texting, SKYPE which is video conferencing, and about 1000 other applications or APPS that turn it into pretty much anything you can think of.

I never would have gone that way..but it is nice to have one!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Russel

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 08:29:18 PM »
[...]The "Android" is a "smart phone[...]

[Hair splitting mode ON]

Technically, Android is the operating system. It is based on GNU/Linux. Because it is basically a free operating system, it has become popular on cell phones and tablets.

[Hair splitting mode OFF]

A DRO for your smart phone! What in the heck will they think of next? Cell phone CNC, or would that be CCNC?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal