Author Topic: Liney RV-1 Build  (Read 22291 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Liney RV-1 Build
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2013, 09:41:05 PM »
Looking good Bill, your not messing around here buddy. You seem to be making good time here.
Oh! And I just ordered me a set of Warner insert tool set.

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2013, 09:48:06 PM »
Cool Don!!  What size did you order and what will you be using them on?  So far I am very poleased with these!!

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2013, 09:53:37 PM »
Bill, bought one of their grooving tools at CF and it has worked great. Boys got their HSS tooling down real good. I really appreciate you doing this build. I think there are a lot of us here that really hope that one day we can be as good as a whole lotta folks here. While we look and dream there is a group that wants to build something that runs and build our skills along the way. I love the advanced builds and study each one closely, learning set-ups and technique. But, most can't start at that level. We need to be able to say (say it with me Dave ) " It's a Runnah " After a couple of those you can start stepping the game up every build. I've gotten one Liney to run ( Thimble ) and I'm praying my second will. Did you look at their radials Bill :stir:. Keep up the good work.

Eric

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2013, 10:11:16 PM »
Thanks for the comments Eric. Based on what I've seen on your RV-2, I have not doubts that it will run and it also has a lot of character i think. The RV-1 isn't nearly as complex as yours so you've already made a quantum leap over the thimble engine. Ya gotta love those little thimble engines though or rocking engines as some call them. I have looked at Liney's Halo engine...who knows...maybe one of these days :)

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2013, 10:18:58 PM »
Cool Don!!  What size did you order and what will you be using them on?  So far I am very poleased with these!!

Bill
Bill I ordered the 3/8" shank with HSS and Carbide inserts and plan to use them on casting and steel. I have a cheap Chinese set I have been using which works OK, but the insert tips keep chipping on them. I tried to hone a small radius on the tip, but to no help still chips so I will try these.

Don

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2013, 10:24:28 PM »
Hi Bill

Just came across your build log and read it from the begining.

Love the photos (keep them coming) and the explanations.  I am sure that a detailed build log would be of assistance to anybody (of any skill level) building or contemplating building the same model.

Keep it up.  You are really flying along.

Vince

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2013, 11:18:16 PM »
Vince, thanks for having a look I have certainly enjoyed your Corliss build  and that one's on my list, just letting you guys work the kinks out  ;D

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2013, 01:13:14 AM »
Hi Bill

Looks like fun project and it is always nice to see work being done on the Sherline tools; I will be following along with your build and looking forward to the next installment.

It all looks great so far and the cast iron flywheel is a nice touch :ThumbsUp:

Dave

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2013, 03:09:24 AM »
Nice work Bill, you are making some quick work of it all.   :cheers:

BC1
Jim

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2013, 03:43:31 AM »
Very nice, Bill. Everything looks great. I hadn't seen this engine before, so will be following along.
BTW I love my Warner tools. Nice people too. They know their metallurgy.
Best,
Stan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2013, 11:50:39 AM »
Thanks Dave, Jim, and Stan.  Need to scrounge a few more materials today and hope to work some on the base and cylinders tonight. For now though another work week begins  ::)

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2013, 11:57:13 AM »
Well you're moving at the speed of Chuck Fellows anyway, so we will let you go to work today. Don't you hate it when work interferes with a perfectly good project :Jester:

Eric

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2013, 12:04:18 PM »
Sure do Eric and still several years away from retirement. This was the first weekend I've had some concentrated time in the garage in a long while and if was nice....but...you still gotta pay the bills right :)

Bill

Edit: I am so far behind Chuck (and others) in productivity, they needn't even look in their rear view mirror...but as we all know its not a race. In this particular thread I will be elated if even one newcomer or maybe I should say new poster jumps in as a result of the build.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 12:09:08 PM by b.lindsey »

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2013, 02:15:58 PM »
Bill,
Just downloaded these plans. The spec material  for the pistons is stainless. Do you think this is necessary? I've been doing OK so far with 6061 in brass cylinders. Even some brass in brass.
Best,
Stan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2013, 02:28:17 PM »
Stan, I would think that S.S. is overkill too. I am likely going to use either 1018 or 12L14 for the pistons. In addition I don't have an 11/64 reamer and don't plan on buying one for just this engine, so will likely enlarge the bore to 3/16 and enlarge the end that engages the crank pin accordingly. Take a look at both the  piston drawing and the bearing stand drawing...both show that .144 counterbore almost all the way through. I don't understand the need for this ay all  and plan to ream the piston to .125" all the way through without any counterbore just as i did for the bearing stands. If you can figure out why they did this counterbore, please clue me in...just seems to weaken the wear characteristic of these parts in my view. Also as I noted earlier, for the drill rod i had on hand, a .125" bore was a perfect running fit rather than the .126" shown.

Bill
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 04:08:12 PM by b.lindsey »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal