Author Topic: Vertical Single 4-stroke IC Engine  (Read 59910 times)

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
Re: Vertical Single 4-stroke IC Engine
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2013, 03:55:33 PM »
A few more questions from Da-Bronx/NYC....

The gears:  You drilled the hole in the crankcase for mounting the camshaft early into the build.  That means you already knew the distances between crank and camshaft centers, and the size of the gears?  You then made the gears to fit.  Once you drilled these two holes, you were locked into the choice of gears?  Are these assumptions correct?

Having little or no experience, I need to ask, what sometimes, might be obvious.   Mea culpa.  Also, thanks for answering my earlier questions regarding the head design, and piston/ring combo.  Very informative answers.

Frank

Most of my timing gears are cut with 24 pitch cutters so I already knew what pitch and size I would make them.  And, I do have probably .010" or more tolerance with timing gear diameter since they aren't under much load and don't make much noise.  For me, at least, cutting the gears to fit the holes is easier than drilling the holes to fit the gears.

Chuck,
You have to be one of the most prolific builders on this forum. As soon as one engine gets painted another one starts to form. If you don't mind me asking, about how many do you have in your collection?
gbritnell

Thanks, George, I don't put as near much time or detail into my engines as you do, so I can crank them out faster.  Last count I think it was around 35 engines total that I've built over the past 20 years or so.  I've sold a few of them to make room for more.  I might mention that during that time I also built around 25 telescopes and any number of tools and fixtures.  I do like to keep busy.

Hi Chuck,
 Looking good. When you get your 3D printer up & running & feel like a bit of a challenge check this link out to see what this guy is "printing"

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/videos/8995908/Kiwi-3D-printing-an-Aston-Martin

Looking forward to more updates.

Cheers Kerrin

Thanks, Kerrin, don't think I'll be building anything quite that big.  Although I haven't finalized my design yet, it'll probably only have a 6" x 6" x 6" build envelope.

Looking great Chuck and you just keep cranking out those gears bud. The way you come out with them its like you have been stamping them out with a punch machine. Awesome buddy!  :ThumbsUp:

Don

Thanks, Don, they do get easier after a while, although it's also easier to get careless and make some wrong calculations like I apparently did this time.

Looks good Chuck...it appears that you have remade the large gear too? The teeth look more proportional in these latest photos. Gonna be a real peach of an engine!!

Bill

Thanks, Bill, since I still had the mill/drill set up, I just remounted the gear and cut the valleys a little deeper.  The teeth now fit and mesh nicely.

Chuck

So many projects, so little time...

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2013, 10:09:28 PM »
Got the connecting rod finished and the piston mostly finished today.

After I finished up the piston, I'll get started on the valves, rocker arms, etc.

Chuck

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2013, 02:45:34 PM »
Good progress there chuck, looking more like an engine and the rod and piston look great.

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2013, 11:59:03 PM »
I started this project because I've always admired vertical, single cylinder engines and decided it was time I built one.  I was also partly motivated by 2 engine frame sides I had started for a previous project but had made them too small.  So, in my usual fashion, I started making parts, designing things as I went along.  Also, in my usual fashion, I wanted a stroke that was 1.5 times the bore, so the crankshaft and cylinder came next.  It was only after I made the connecting rod that I realized the engine frames were originally designed for a 3/4" bore and stroke.  When I test assembled it, the rod didn't even begin to clear the cylinder sides or the camshaft!   :facepalm:

So, now I am working on 2 new engine frame sides and a new frame top.  And I had to make a new connecting rod.  Pictures to follow soon as I get back on track...

Chuck

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2013, 09:52:42 PM »
Bummer.

Hugh.

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2013, 04:16:15 AM »
Been sidetracked the past month or two with a new interest, 3D printers.  I bought one used and missing parts and finally got it put back together and working.  Now I'm rebuilding it and also started building another one.

But, I need to get back to making chips, so I've resumed work on the vertical single.  Yesterday and today, I finished up the frame and cut the middle piece out of the crankshaft.  I also had to trim some meat off the connecting rod, but I now have it so the engine turns over fully and freely. 

I've now started working on the engine base.  Doing a little inventory, I think the remaining parts include the lifters, push rods, rocker arms and supports, valves and keepers, carburetion, and ignition parts.  Will post some photos tomorrow. 

Chuck

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2013, 04:47:07 AM »
Spent most of today working on a base for the engine.  Started with 1" x 1" angleh, 1/4" thick.  I cut part of one leg off, leaving about 1/8" proud of the other leg. 

I mounted each piece in the milling vice at 45 degrees off vertical.  Then used an end mill to cut the miter on each end.

Here's a look at the at the 4 pieces put together.  I still need to mill the top part flat...

Here's picture of two of the sides clamped to a piece of scrap aluminum.  The two sides will be welded together on the inside corner.

And here's a mock-up of what the base will look like.  The piece of 1/4" thick steel plate will be welded to the top of the 4 angle sides.

Tomorrow I should get it all welded together.

Chuck

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2013, 10:51:03 AM »
That angle looks really good used like that. Good thinking!

Hugh.

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2013, 02:27:03 PM »
Very clever on the base Chuck and looks great

Steve

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2013, 08:35:54 PM »
Chuck, I had just put a shout in the shout box asking where you were. I wish you could save that outside rounded edge on the base. Just thinking.

Whiskey

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2013, 08:54:08 PM »
Genius use of the angle, that really is thinking outside the box, you do a lot of that on your engines. Agree with Eric I thought the top curve looked good too but either way it will be great.

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2013, 09:11:08 PM »
Thanks, Guys.  The rounded edge on top has to be sacrificed since the top plate sits on top of the angle.  The only other way to do it would be to recess the top plate down a bit inside the frame, something I hadn't really thought of.

Here is a picture of the finished base...

And here's a few pictures of the engine test assembled so far...

Gotta add an idler gear for the timing gear train to the task list. 

Chuck

Offline AussieJimG

• Rest In Peace
  • Bywong, NSW, Australia
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2013, 07:03:17 AM »
I'm gobsmacked. And following. I don't know how I missed this build until now.

Jim

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2013, 01:35:31 AM »
Thanks, Jim, I hope being Gobsmacked isn't painful!  :stickpoke:

So I made another set of timing gears today. Actually wound up making 2 sets (3rd altogether). The first (second) set was too big. :facepalm:

I gotta say, I really love my Arduino powered dividing head. It saves to much time and effort in gear cutting.

Just set the number of divisions, then press the step button to advance each tooth.

Even keeps track of which tooth I'm on!

I ordered a couple of 4 1/2" flywheel castings from Martin Model today.

Chuck

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2013, 01:55:19 AM »
That's looking to be a nice engine! I've been watching.

--Tim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal