Author Topic: Vertical Single 4-stroke IC Engine  (Read 59625 times)

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
Vertical Single 4-stroke IC Engine
« on: July 25, 2013, 03:36:00 AM »
Although this engine shares some similarities with other vertical single engines, such as the Upshur and one built by Randall Cox, I'm calling this my own design since it has significant differences from the others.  It will be air cooled and have a bore and stroke of 7/8" x 1.25".  It will be throttled, not hit n miss.

I salvaged two vertical pieces I had from a previous project that never came to fruition (sound familiar?).   There were two 10-24 tapped holes in the top of each one and I had to make horizontal piece that fit across the top to fasten the two vertical pieces together.  Trying to drill holes in a top piece that align with threaded holes on the bottom part has never been a strong suit of mine. 

I first found a socket head cap screw that was the right length and thread size and mounted the threaded end in the 3 jaw chuck on my mini lathe.  Then I cleaned up the head of the screw so it was concentric with the threaded end.  After inserting the screw into the hole I wanted to match, I mounted the piece vertically in my milling vice, using a stop to precisely locate the edge from the side of the vice jaw.  I  then used a DTI to exactly center the screw head under the mill / drill spindle...

Then, I removed the vertical piece and inserted the blank top in the vice with matching back edge against the vice jaw and the end against the stop on the side so it was the same distance from the side of the vice jaw.  I repeated the process for each of the 4 screw holes and here is the result...

The result is as near perfect as I've ever achieved!
So many projects, so little time...

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
Re: Vertical Single 4-stroke IC Engine
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 06:23:41 AM »
Good on you, Chuck. I'm looking forward to this engine taking shape. I wonder if the membership would be partial to opening a book on how long this one takes!

Cheers, Hugh.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 11:25:00 AM »
Looks an intersting start  :ThumbsUp: Are you planning on an open crankcase?
Best regards

Roger

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 11:37:44 AM »
Good on you, Chuck. I'm looking forward to this engine taking shape. I wonder if the membership would be partial to opening a book on how long this one takes!

Cheers, Hugh.

Yes!  Goodnoya Chuck!.....and also I have the same open crankcase question....?

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 01:46:11 PM »
Yes, the crankcase will be open.  It will have cam shaft operated intake and exhaust valves and will be similar construction to the Open Column Twin I finished in March of 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXF6i00pE3c

But, of course, one cylinder and slightly smaller bore and stroke.

Chuck

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 09:02:01 PM »
Been under the weather for the past week, so work has been a little slow.  I did, after 3 attempts get the crankshaft pretty much assembled.  I had tried to make it all one piece, but for what ever reason, I wasn't having much luck.  Probably just impatience.  I finally settled on a one piece throw and webs but am loctiting and pinning the main part of the shaft.

The cylinder turned out pretty good.  It's made from a single piece of cast iron, is 1.5" OD and about 2.375" tall.  Bore is .875".

Before anybody jumps on me abut the screws holding the frame together, they are just temporary!   ;)

Chuck

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 09:33:56 PM »
Chuck, this nearly slipped through my net. Looks interesting, will definitely be watching.

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 02:44:48 AM »
Thanks, Nick.  There's a lot going on in this forum.  It's easy for things to slip by the radar. 

I didn't get much time in the shop today.  Still recovering from a case of bronchitis and the grand daughter kept us busy for several hours.  Still, I did get the cylinder hole bored in the top of the engine frame.  I also got a good start on the head.

Chuck

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 03:47:37 AM »
Hi Chuck

Another engine already.  Your output is staggering.   Since I know you mostly work to your own ideas and plans, I was wondering if you have ever thought about an engine with water cooling in the head only?  When I still had my boat, it had an Italian built single cylinder diesel genset.  The engine and generator were in a tightly closed steel sound suppression box with just enough air flow for combustion and ran under full load for hours at a time.  Cooling water circulated through the head only!  There was no water jacket around the cylinder.  This eliminated any water problems in the head gasket because no water flowed between head and block. I had some discussions with the builder about cooling but my problems had more to do with the water pump, but they told me that most of the heat is generated in the head.

I have often thought that when I get around to building an I.C. engine, I would look at a water cooled head design. I will probably never get around to it.  Just a thought.  Continue with what you are doing.  I will keep watching.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 04:21:17 AM »
Hi Chuck

Another engine already.  Your output is staggering.   Since I know you mostly work to your own ideas and plans, I was wondering if you have ever thought about an engine with water cooling in the head only?  When I still had my boat, it had an Italian built single cylinder diesel genset.  The engine and generator were in a tightly closed steel sound suppression box with just enough air flow for combustion and ran under full load for hours at a time.  Cooling water circulated through the head only!  There was no water jacket around the cylinder.  This eliminated any water problems in the head gasket because no water flowed between head and block. I had some discussions with the builder about cooling but my problems had more to do with the water pump, but they told me that most of the heat is generated in the head.

I have often thought that when I get around to building an I.C. engine, I would look at a water cooled head design. I will probably never get around to it.  Just a thought.  Continue with what you are doing.  I will keep watching.

Jerry

Interesting, Jerry, I had never thought of it, but it makes sense.  At the time of ignition, the head has the greatest surface area exposure to the combustion heat.  This difference could be made even more pronounced if the piston's top clearance were milled into the head leaving no part of the cylinder exposed at the point of combustion.

Chuck

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 09:32:21 PM »
I got some more work done on the head today.  Here's the lash-up I used to shape the head..

I also drilled and tapped the spark plug hole as well.

Chuck

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 12:54:22 AM »
Darn Chuck, you just keep spitting them out there pal. Great job as usual and following along.

Don

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 01:32:30 AM »
Still watching, Chuck. Coming along nicely, fine work.

Hugh.

Offline rudydubya

• Western Arkansas USA
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 08:47:20 PM »
Your projects are always interesting and informative Chuck.  Is that a commercial spark plug or one you made yourself?

Regards,
Rudy

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 06:29:02 AM »
Thanks for the support guys.  Rudy, the spark plug is a commercial 1/4-32 called a Rimfire.  Expensive little boogers!

Got the valve cages made today.   They are brass and will be pressed into the head at some later point.

Chuck

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal