Author Topic: It followed me home.  (Read 14007 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: It followed me home.
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2013, 05:25:18 PM »
Well...if you enjoy  self inflicted pain....you could rebuild it. ( ask me how I know this)    That's about as simple a lathe as it gets....cute little thing!

Making parts shouldn't be too hard....but there will be a bit of that going on.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2013, 02:20:37 PM »
There was one main thing missing from C2 a set of Dials gauges. So over the last couple of days I have added these  :pinkelephant:

They are larger than I would have chosen but I had them spare kicking around in the workshop  :shrug:

I have also removed that clear swarf guard as it was getting in the way  >:(

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline JimG

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2013, 03:33:03 PM »
I have also removed that clear swarf guard as it was getting in the way  >:(

Mine came off the first day I operated mine.  I wonder how many actually stay in place.  ;)

Jim.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
I have been adding further to this lathe. As a little present to myself I have brought a 22 piece set of 200DA collets to go with my Cowells collet chuck:

These are 1/64ths and differ from the original Cowells collets by the fact that not only are they a 1/6th of the price each  ;D but that they only have 0.4mm of movement, where as the original ones can adjust 0.8mm. This is achieved by the slots down the collet extending further as can be seen by this front shot of the collets:

Whilst I was at it I remembered that the chuck key for the four jaw independent chuck was missing so a quick turn up of a shaft using an off cut from the scrapbinium stocks, cut the hex:

Find a nasty bit of 304 for the handle, cross drill and the missing chuck key has been added to the collection:

I also remembered to put a tommy bar hole on the back plate of the 4 jaw self centering chuck so that I could get the backplate off with the chuck rather than the chuck coming off the back plate  :facepalm2:

So the current collection of gadgets for holding stuff on the nose of the new Cowells looks like this:

My guess is that most of the time the collet chuck will be a permanent attachment  8).

Jo

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2013, 03:40:25 PM »
Wow Jo....such shiney new additions...the chuck wrench look excellent too!!

Bill

Offline JimG

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2013, 12:40:41 AM »
Whilst I was at it I remembered that the chuck key for the four jaw independent chuck was missing so a quick turn up of a shaft using an off cut from the scrapbinium stocks, cut the hex:

The chuck key supplied with my new four jaw with my Cowells was an Allen key.  :D   But you have persuaded me to make a "proper" key.  :)

Jim.

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2013, 04:13:34 AM »
wow Jo how do find time to go to work and feed yourself?? So many projects on the go and always a little more done each day. :LittleDevil:
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2013, 05:34:50 AM »
Jim: I found that chuck key it was a soft Allen key. But my earlier Cowells had a real chuck key and the other day when I used C2 to to make some bearings it just did not have the right feeling  :ShakeHead: So I had to make a real one.

Pete: All I have in my life is my projects and the garden and of course you fellas ;) Work does get in the way of life but there is something missing  :noidea:   

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2013, 07:45:50 AM »
Jo as your soft allen key rounded off whats to stop your new mild rust one doing the same? would a bit of silversteel (drillrod) have been better so the end could have been hardened? Maybe if this one rounds you could drill out the end and insert a length of hex cut from a quality key.

J

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2013, 08:20:20 AM »
It is made of a bit of 304.

And I would prefer that the key was damaged rather than the chuck if I got over enthusiastic. I do not believe that any of my other chuck keys are hardened.

Jo
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 08:46:06 AM by Jo »

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2013, 10:49:44 AM »
Good idea Jason, or buy a socket then you just need to shove a bit of square bar in it with a tommy bat through. Reckon it'll be strong enough for that little chuck as is though.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2013, 12:23:30 PM »
Must be a Cowells thing to have soft keys  :???:. All mine are hardened even the two bars for the Unimat 3 scroll chuck are hardened.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal