Author Topic: 1/2 scale gade  (Read 26681 times)

Offline Ken K

1/2 scale gade
« on: July 23, 2013, 02:49:54 AM »
 I am new at this, but will try to post a build log, on this kit.
 I have made a lot of casting kits, but have run out of new ones, I want, so going to do a 1/2 Gade, again.
 Of all the kits I have made, the Tom Thumb, and the 1/2 Gade were the best kits, as far as drawings, and castings. The Tom Thumb kit is no longer being made, but when I called Robert Campbell, he had a few kits left. He is having foundry problems, so will not be making more.
 I order the kit, plus gears, springs, gas tank, and oil shield.
 The first part i made was the driven gear. You get the gear, that is thick enough to face off, and cut a hub, for the cam. This part, could be a problem, cutting the cam, on the gear, but I have a small CNC mill, which did it, fine.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: 1/2 scale gade
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 02:57:48 AM »
Nice gear Ken!   Welcome!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Ken K

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 09:28:11 PM »
 Did the crankshaft for the engine.
 Started by putting some bar stock, betwen the webs, and holding in place with some JB Weld, to prevent any flex in casting. Forgot to take a picture of the center drill step. Mounted between centers and started cutting the throws, to get to .730" Target is .750", but parting toolds never cut, all the way to edge. With that done, started cuttung the throw. With the parting blade out so far, did not not cut well, so only went to.635", and used files/wet dry sandpaper to finish, to .625". Did clean up cuts to get .750" between throws. Cut webs off, and put between centers to clean up shaft. Put in 3 jaw, and cut throws to .375" thick. Back to between centers, added steady rest, and cut shafts to .625".
 Now we will see how to get pictures, loaded.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 12:48:11 AM »
Hi Ken

Good to see your Gade build here; they're a nice engine. I have a set of Morrison and Marvin's castings for the 1/4 scale Gade aging on the shelf just waiting for me to have some time for them.

Nice work so far, and keep posting pictures :ThumbsUp:

Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 09:22:24 AM »
Ken,

Any chance of finding us a GA or a photo of what you are building so that those of us on the other side of the pond know what you are making  8)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 01:23:46 PM »
Hi Ken,
I did look the Gade engine up, the one I found was an opposed piston machine, looks very interesting. Looking forward to seeing what yours is like.

Cheers, Hugh.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 01:31:00 PM »
Here is a link to the Martin Model & Pattern site showing the single cylinder version though in 1/4 scale.  http://www.martinmodel.com/MMPengines-subfiles/engines-gade.html

Bill

Offline Ken K

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 07:53:53 PM »
 Pictures of 1/2, and 1/4 Gades, with 1/6 Galloway.
 The kits are much the same. With the 1/4, the cam is cut, on driven gear. The plans are not as good on 1/4, missing a few details, but not bad. 1/4 is about $170 cheaper.
 Bored the cylinder, and faced the end on it.

Offline Ken K

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 08:26:24 PM »
 Had a proble. See if I can get pictures, this time.

Offline Ken K

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 07:18:53 PM »
 Milled the bottom on the block flat. It was hard to hold, used some angle blocks, hold down bolts, and jack, to hold it level. Forgot to take a picture.
 The next step was to drill mounting holes, and bolt to a ref. plate. Plate was milled on all four side to make sure, it is sq. Block will stay, on the plate, till all cuts, are made. From all the holes, in the plate, you can see, it has been used a lot.

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 08:09:35 PM »
Hi Ken

Just came across your build log and for sure I will follow you along.

Vince

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 08:36:52 PM »
That is a sizable block Ken...the mounting plate will definitely make things easier though, but that's the fun of working with castings :)

Bill

Offline Ken K

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 07:06:42 PM »
 This is a big model engine. About 17" long, 15" wide, and a bore of 1.75".
 Next step is to cut the main bearing blocks down. The center line of the driven gear shaft is inline with the crankshaft, centerline. As the is .375 " down, from the top edge of the casting, I used it, to determine, how much to cut mains down.
 I did not put in vise, as that would make a lot if work, turning Y  handle, but clamped to table, so I could use X power feed.

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 09:28:58 PM »
Ken, this looks an interesting project, i'll be watching, thanks for showing us.

Offline Ken K

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013, 11:07:03 PM »
 I bored the cylinder, and faced it off, to make sure it is square. Have a friend that has a Sunnen hone, in his shop, so will have him hone it. Machine does a nice job, on a cylinder.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal