Author Topic: New (to me) bandsaw  (Read 8833 times)

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
Re: New (to me) bandsaw
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 03:39:21 PM »
Simon
When I had my 4x6, I followed this procedure. It made a huge difference.

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/4861259/375269388/name/Basic+adjusting
Best,
Stan

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 04:43:25 PM »
Thanks for that link, Stan! I do have a new blade on it, but I should look over the list of other adjustments.

Simon

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 08:12:17 PM »
The main problem is that the wheels are hardly ever coplanar. Following the procedure, I got mine to be coplanar and it made a big difference in easier tracking, cut quality, blade life, etc.
Best,
Stan

Offline Nickle

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 11:10:20 AM »
Simon,

The pivot on mine is dramatically out of square with the table. If I sit a square in the open vice with the saw lowered the blade touches. By the time I have lifted the saw about 5" the blade is nearly 1/8 of an inch from the square. Check this on your machine as it will almost certainly impact on tracking if it is out of square as mine is. I have been too lazy to fix mine and either allow sufficient material to machine inaccuracies off or deliberately clamp material on an angle to compensate. As annoying as this is I wouldn't give this saw up. My hacksawing was no more accurate and took a lot more effort.

I've read other accounts of this problem on the web and I think the most practical solution is to machine off both lugs for the pivot on the base casting parralell with the vice base and then make a matched set of lugs. One day I might get fired up enough to have a go at this.

Regards

Nick

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal