Author Topic: Help in London  (Read 10821 times)

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
Help in London
« on: July 17, 2013, 09:18:16 PM »
Can anyone suggest a good rental car company in London for the Fall trip? Also, I am not familiar with the models of cars offered, so what is a good compact car? Ford, Vauxhall, ??
Mosey

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
Re: Help in London
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 10:20:13 PM »
Can anyone suggest a good rental car company in London for the Fall trip? Also, I am not familiar with the models of cars offered, so what is a good compact car? Ford, Vauxhall, ??

Ask for a Reliant Robin.  :)
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Arbalest

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 10:28:31 PM »
Just shop around for a good price Mosey. As far as make goes you're just as likely to get a Toyota or Nissan. It's less about the make and more about the class or size of vehicle. Do a little research and let us know the vehicles on offer and one of us Brits will give you the skinny on the model if we can.

Offline Woodguy

• Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 12:36:38 AM »
and be sure to factor in insurance - devilish expensive there.

Offline John S

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 01:17:53 AM »

Ask for a Reliant Robin.  :)

Can you get a diesel one ?

This one is hilarious

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b4WzWFKQ20" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b4WzWFKQ20</a>.
John Stevenson, Nottingham , England

Offline Mosey

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 01:47:05 AM »
Yes, Marv, I am trying to get the Reliant. National Car Rental says that they should have an answer for availability tomorrow AM our time. I guess this is a special for them. Thanks a million!
Mosey

Offline Mosey

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 02:28:33 PM »
What we are seeing are:
Toyota Auris, Vauxhall Corsa & Insignia, Ford Focus & Fiesta, etc.
I don't want a Skoda or Peugot, Kia, or similar.

Prices range from soup to nuts.

I am starting at St. Pancras.

Mosey

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 03:47:58 PM »
The Vauxhall Insignia is the largest on your list. Corsa and Fiesta are the smallest. Don't discount the current Skoda offerings, an Octavia is very good. Current Peugeots are also good.

How many are travelling and how much lugage will you have?
Best regards

Roger

Offline Mosey

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 06:35:11 PM »
We are just 2 people, with 3 small bags. We are going from London to Oxford and the Cotswolds and back.
Mosey

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 07:11:32 PM »
A Corsa or Fiesta will be adequate for that unless either of you are very tall (6' plus). Cotswolds are a nice area. Our English house is just a little south of there.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Mosey

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 07:37:45 PM »
Thanks, Roger. I trust your workshop will be adequate, also.
Mosey

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 07:52:24 PM »
It all depends on people's expectations. Some people have a small lathe and do everything on it. Others have multiple lathes, mills, shapers etc.

When I fly back to England I would have something that size. If you are used to something bigger it may seem strange. I think that the Ford Focus is available in the US if you need a comparison for the next size up.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 08:45:20 PM »
Galina & I traveled all over the UK in a Vauxhall Corsa and it was economical and comfortable for 2, (I'm just 6ft but fairly slim). I don't know what the current price of petrol is in the UK but when we were there it was astronomical compared to Oz, which in turn was astronomical when compared to the US. So for those on a budget gas guzzlers are a no no.

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 09:09:59 PM »
Petrol is around £1.37 a litre if you are lucky  :disappointed:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Arbalest

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 09:14:46 PM »
You should'nt have any problems with Skoda, Peugeot or Kia. In fact Kia was manufacturer of the year 2012! Sounds like a small/medium hatchback will suit you fine. The only problem I expect is if you choose something too small without A/C!

Offline Mosey

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 09:53:54 PM »
This is very helpful, thank you all.

My prejudice against Peugeot and Skoda go back 40 years or so, and I apologize for that. These things die hard. Kia looks pretty decent over here, so OK too. The Focus is known to us, and we will look for A/C. Hard to give it up as it is pretty standard here. As for the price for gas, just suck it up as a cost of travel. We are used to $3.59/ USGal. and complain at that.
We will be so taken by the sights that we won't even notice the cost.
Mosey

Offline garym

• Manchester, England
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 11:46:34 PM »
.......I am starting at St. Pancras.......

Mosey

Hi Mosey,

Have a look round the station before you leave. Very impressive what they've done with it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Pancras_railway_station

Gary

Offline Mosey

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 01:58:45 AM »
St Pancras, and the Natural History Museum in Oxford are on my list, thanks. Also, Ashmolean and others.
Mosey

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 02:06:10 AM »
If you go to the Oxford Museum of Natural History, don't forget to go to the back and enter the Pitt Rivers museum, which is packed with all kinds of anthropological curiosities: http://www.prm.ox.ac.uk.

Simon

Offline Mosey

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 05:02:59 PM »
We land in London tomorrow morning, and I see at least a week of English sunshine ahead (not totally rain). I'll wave to Jo as we land. See yah at the Grange Langham Court.
Mosey

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 05:43:43 PM »
Looks like good weather for this time of year: only showers :Lol:

Jo

Offline Mosey

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 05:46:40 PM »
I can't decide whether to bring my long board or not, and crack over to Brighton for the surf.
Mosey

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 05:53:51 PM »
If you don't it is more space/weight for bringing back castings/machine tools.  :LittleDevil:

Jo

Offline Mosey

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 05:59:53 PM »
I would love to know who and where the tool dealers in London/Oxford are??

Mosey

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 06:00:30 PM »
Have a great trip Mosey...bring us back some pictures too please :)

Bill

Offline Mosey

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 06:27:48 PM »
Thanks, Bill, but the pictures may not be what you want to see. I hope to paint the interesting buildings (collegiate Gothic) and street scenes. If I get to the museums, that may be more like it.
Mosey

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013, 06:49:01 PM »
Oxford is not far (relatively) from Blackgates http://www.blackgates.co.uk/ who are one of our better model suppliers.

Jo

Offline Mosey

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2013, 06:59:52 PM »
I will visit them, thank you.

Mosey

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2013, 08:36:40 PM »
I'm not sure I would want to waste a day on the M1  Oxford to Dewsbury is 185 miles.  :o

Rod

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2013, 08:46:59 PM »
Mosey,  even us southern boys can appreciate some of the finer things in life as well :)  You may find that you have a broader audience even here than you might imagine.

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2013, 08:56:32 PM »
 :facepalm: Birmingham.. I am thinking of rip off Reeves. No don't bother.. Too expensive  :ShakeHead:

Jo

fcheslop

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2013, 09:31:11 PM »
Good uck with the trip :ThumbsUp:
Jo wash youre mouth out, Reeves :toilet_claw:

Offline Mosey

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2013, 09:19:26 PM »
Been here for a week now, London, Oxford, the Cotswolds, etc. Now, Jo, I see why you like it so much. Touring around the towns, picking up lots of choice small tooling, I hope I can get it all home. Amazing how much stuff is here just for the asking if you look in the right places, lots of castings, too.
Mosey in the UK. :Jester: :lolb:

Offline Mosey

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2013, 02:57:26 AM »
Well, I have now seen a little of England, and driven on the wrong side of the road. Had a little Ford Focus with Ecodrive. Shuts off when you stop, and starts up by itself. Got a good idea of life on your side of the pond, and experienced pub food and the great socialization that flourishes in the pubs. Wish I had one in my town. Opens the eyes a bit.
I have dozens of pictures of the architecture of the Cotswolds and Oxford.
I also visited a museum in Paris with the full history of science and technology exhibited in planes, cars, bikes, engines, etc.
Mosey

Offline Danny M2Z

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2013, 04:44:26 AM »

Well, I have now seen a little of England, and driven on the wrong side of the road. Had a little Ford Focus with Ecodrive.

I tried to explain to a neighbour what KIA used to mean during the Vietnam days (He drive one). Ignorant pig never heard of that war! He then bought a Pajero, never bothered to explain that one to him as it is quite appropriate.

I also visited a museum in Paris with the full history of science and technology exhibited in planes, cars, bikes, engines, etc.

The Science Museum in Paris, what lovely memories, must have shot 10 rolls of 35mm in that place.

I might be in Australia, but I grew up in London. Put Australia on your next travel list Mosey, it's awesome.

Regards from the land of the kangaroo

* Danny M *
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 07:15:37 AM by Jo »
Measure twice - cut once. You can't put it back!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2013, 12:22:20 PM »
Sounds like you are having a very successful trip Mosey!  How much longer will you be across the pond?

Bill

Offline Mosey

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2013, 12:43:07 PM »
I came home last night, and the trip was greatly satisfying and educational. That's why we travel isn't it?!
I will follow up later with my pub education later today when I catch up with jetlag. I did wear my Roo pin, given to me by a past mate, which caught the eye in England of some folks.
Mosey

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2013, 01:29:54 PM »
Welcome home then! Hoping to see more pictures too...architectural, museums, or otherwise :)

Bill

Offline Mosey

Re: Help in London Part II Pub Education
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2013, 07:16:03 PM »
So we go to dinner in Oxford at the Angel, about 100 yards from the  main drag, High Street. Every main drag in England is called High St., I think. This is a 6 or 800 year old Headington yellow stone building (all of the buildings in Oxford are yellow Headington stone), hotel, pub. Tiny. Inside is the most copacetic place I've ever been. Couple of locals at the bar, carpenter, farmer, lawyer, etc. 3 dogs taking up all of the floor space between the bar and the door and the stone fireplace, with fire (after all, it's September) The big one, King Arthur, black lab, opens one eye, determines that there is nothing to get up for, goes back to sleep. I order a pint of local. Umm, good. Cold. Assumptia, the bar maid greets me as though we were cousins, we'll soon be. Drink a few, then SWMBO and I move to the dining room for dinner. I have the guinea hen in gravy, roasted potatos, haricot vert, she has salmon on wild rice, etc. I mention this because as you may have heard, there are some opinions about the cuisine in the British Isles that are less than celebratory. Not in our experience. The desert was home made, elaborate, original, balanced flavors, colors like a small painting, made to the occasion grape-fruit jelly, sorbet, altogether first class.
Verdict:top of the class anywhere.
I could make a career of hanging out in these pubs. Next night went to the Lamb. Pricier, formal, maybe as good, less original, classier clientele, no dogs, less fun.
There may be more to follow.
Mosey
 :DrinkPint:

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2013, 10:01:40 PM »
Been here for a week now, London, Oxford, the Cotswolds, etc. Now, Jo, I see why you like it so much. Touring around the towns, picking up lots of choice small tooling, I hope I can get it all home. Amazing how much stuff is here just for the asking if you look in the right places, lots of castings, too.
Mosey in the UK. :Jester: :lolb:

Good to hear you had a good time. I'm over in the UK right now. I would be curious to hear where you picked up castings :)

Simon

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Help in London Part II Pub Education
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2013, 10:52:20 PM »
I could make a career of hanging out in these pubs.

Yep. It seems the best pubs are the 'local' ones. Not the ones near tourist sites, hotels, or what we might call chains.

Not much different from here really. No getting to know the people or servers at a chain. Head to the diner a few blocks off the strip.
Go just a few times and you've got new friends.

Where was that science museum in Paris? Wife I get to a Paris on occasion and I've only seen one. I can't remember the name. It's just around the corner from the Eiffel tower. It was pretty interesting!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Mosey

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2013, 11:37:44 PM »
Simon,
Apologies on the castings..that was a tweak to see if Jo was watching. She didn't rise for the bait.
The museum is the Mus'ee des Arts et Metiers, 60 rue R'eamur. Near the overrated, over-priced, waste of time Pompideau. It is worth a day. Pictures allowed.
I should add that we found the folks in the UK extremely pleasant, courteous, helpful, and friendly.
Mosey

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2013, 01:25:58 AM »
Good to know Mosey. Thanks for that. I will beeline for it next time we're in Paris.
I'm surprised I missed it.

Have to say though...I prefer the museums in the U.K.
I do have a special place in my heart for the Deutsches Museum in Munich. But mainly because I spent a lot of time time there as a kid.
My last visit (last year) was a bit of a disappointment. Not enough engines for one thing.
However, I have some excellent memories of that last trip...that I'll keep to myself.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal