Author Topic: New Baby Arrived Today  (Read 23858 times)

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
Re: New Baby Arrived Today
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2013, 10:36:36 PM »
Well as you will have realised things ground to a halt on Agnes once the Boley arrived.

I have been busy making modifications and tooling for it.

First job was to add a DRO kit on the X & Y axis, this means I don't need to wear a headband magnifier to see the dial graduations and the machine will be much nicer to use in general.
I have kept hole drilling to the absolute minimum to fit the scales, my set up is based firmly on how Jo did it on her later model BCA mk3.

I have just changed the single phase motor over to a three pahse one and am running it through a VFD inverter.
The 0.37 Kw single phase motor that was fitted was a new one, but I had a 0.55 Kw three phase one that had exactly the same foot mounting hole centres and shaft diameter etc, so it took about ten minutes to fit. I also had a Jaguar inverter of the correct size which I put away a couple of years ago for just such an occasion.
So all that has been wired up and being three phase it runs much smoother, I now have an available speed range from 340 to 3400 rpm and there is no noticeable loss of torque at the low revs either, so it should be better for slitting saws, boring head & fly cutting  etc.

I have made a set of lathe chuck mounting plates to fit the rotary table, but still have not decided on which vice to make a mounting plate for.

I have placed wanted ads in various places for collets to fit this machine, there was just one plain 1/4" collet with it, I managed to get only one reply which produced another 1/4" collet, but this one has the internal Clarkson thread for preventing cutter walk out.
Then last week at our local Bradford MES club meeting, a friend put his hand in his pocket and handed over a BCA collet he had a duplicate of.        You guessed it.............another 1/4", so I gracefully declined his kind offer.

I am now in the middle of making a batch of 18 collet arbours for mounting a variety of different tooling.
The Graham Meek screw-cutting clutch on my Myford has been a real godsend for cutting the metric drawbar threads on these.
More to follow soon.

Phil
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 10:43:13 PM by pgp001 »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2013, 12:23:34 PM »
I have a spare 5/16" collet. (Yes that is spare over and above that complete second set of imperial collets. That it is not totally impossible for me to be talked out of  ;) just very difficult) 

Talking about DA collets is tempting me into making a nose for my GHT Dividing head to match the the Cowells nose then I could use the set of 200DA's instead of the BCA collets in it :thinking:.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2013, 12:37:37 PM »
That looks really sweet Phil!.....Nice!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2013, 12:49:05 PM »
One fine piece of machinery Phil and a nice job on the DRO.  Looking forward to seeing it in use too!

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2013, 02:43:12 PM »
That's a sweet little machine Phil, and like Bill said, looking forward to seeing it in action.

Don

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2013, 11:39:37 PM »
Here's a few photo's just taken off the camera tonight.

A couple of spare chucks that came with my watch makers lathe along with some potential mounting plates.

Faced up and slots being added.

A few tapped holes for mounting the chuck.

Four jaw fitted to Boley.

And three jaw.

Whilst I was at it I added a couple of extra slots in the chucks I made to fit the Alexander, so now they fit the Boley as well.

The four jaw needed a new key, so I made one with a long handle so you can use it without having to keep taking it in and out.
The business end is made from unhardened silver steel (drill rod) and is loctited into the main part which is plain mild steel.

This is the Jaguar inverter I am using to run the machine.

Phil

Offline Kiwi Bloke

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2018, 10:26:57 AM »
Just found this thread whilst looking for Boley UFR information. Rather a late reply, I'm afraid, and too late anyway...

pgp001's pictorial post on 2 Aug 2013 shows the addition of a slide lock. If I understand it correctly, the added wedge is pulled downwards by the screw to bear on the sliding face of the gib strip, in order to lock the slide. This is very bad practice, because the clamping force is reacted by the gib strip only. In some positions of the slide, the wedge will force the strip onto an adjusting screw, in other positions of the slide, there is a space between the gib strip and the stationary member. The gib strip will be sprung - if not actually bent. If the strip is not harder than the clamping wedge, its working face may be marred by the wedge, especially if there is no key to prevent the wedge from rotating. No doubt it will work - sort of - but action will be inconsistent. This lock design would be slightly more acceptable, but but still far from ideal, were the gib strip a taper gib, with full bearing on both of its surfaces. If a slide lock is to bear on a non-tapered gib strip, it should apply force to the strip in the same direction as the adjustment screws do.

Forgive me and ignore, if I have misunderstood the arrangement...

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2018, 01:55:57 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum Kiwi. pgp001 can no doubt address your question, but in the meantime, please take the time to post an introduction in the "introduce yourself" section.

Bill

Offline Ginger Nut

• Woolnwood
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2018, 05:16:09 AM »
Hi all been ages since I even look in on any part of the forum needed to take a step back.

I am in awe of this new toy you have bought for two reasons.

1 being another member on here posted about picking up one here in QLD along with lots of goodies to go with it. Bob lives not far from me 45mins or so http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,8047.msg171596.html#msg171596

2 It's is now mine  :cartwheel: has been for some time just never got it till Bob delivered it over. I had to make room and get a new trolley for it to sit on. It needs a clean up has been modified by the fellow Bob bought it off.

If I may ask for some help as I restore it please as I will strip it down etc.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 08:22:16 AM by Jo »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2018, 08:19:30 AM »

Ray, could I move this to a separate thread so that your restoration does not confuse members with Phil's original postings  :)

:headscratch: Or have you already done that.. by extending Bob's thread

Jo
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 08:22:46 AM by Jo »

Offline Ginger Nut

• Woolnwood
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2018, 01:52:59 AM »

Ray, could I move this to a separate thread so that your restoration does not confuse members with Phil's original postings  :)

:headscratch: Or have you already done that.. by extending Bob's thread

Jo

Jo I was hoping to leave that here as I wanted to ask a number of questions from Phil regarding his. Mine has been modified greatly with the pulleys and motor. The photo was purely to show the type and machine.

I will either continue in Bob's thread if thats ok with him and Admin however I may also start my own thread which might be better still once I start on the refurbishment.???

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2018, 07:49:36 AM »
Ok Ray leave it here but there are others that also own BCAs  ::)

Jo

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2018, 02:51:49 PM »
I am quite happy to answer any questions if I can, but dont forget that mine is not actually a BCA, its a pre war German Boley & Leinen but the BCA mk2 is almost an exact copy of it.

I was a bit gutted a couple of weeks ago.
There was a BCA mk3 jig borer advertised for sale by a member of our Bradford ME club but I missed it by a few hours after it had been snapped up by someone else.
The reason it was snapped up so quickly was that it had a miniscule asking price of £150 ono complete with a set of collets and original boring head etc.  :(

Phil

Offline Ginger Nut

• Woolnwood
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2019, 04:53:37 AM »
Ok Ray leave it here but there are others that also own BCAs  ::)

Jo
Really I  could not find any others.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Offline Ginger Nut

• Woolnwood
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2019, 04:55:42 AM »
I am quite happy to answer any questions if I can, but dont forget that mine is not actually a BCA, its a pre war German Boley & Leinen but the BCA mk2 is almost an exact copy of it.

I was a bit gutted a couple of weeks ago.
There was a BCA mk3 jig borer advertised for sale by a member of our Bradford ME club but I missed it by a few hours after it had been snapped up by someone else.
The reason it was snapped up so quickly was that it had a miniscule asking price of £150 ono complete with a set of collets and original boring head etc.  :(

Phil
Sorry eomlong in replying. You help would great, I've had to leave it be as I've torn a ligament in my right shoulder. I'll pm you letter

Ray

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal