Author Topic: New Baby Arrived Today  (Read 23831 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: New Baby Arrived Today
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2013, 03:43:55 PM »
Phil,

A couple of ideas of what you might want to add to her :naughty: The three collets at the front are BCA threaded milling cutter holders. I also have a 10mm chuck.  Both collet sets I have are imperial so the additional arbors are for metric cutter sizes. The orange box fully of BCA collets in the background is an original BCA box, so when you visit any second hand tool shops and you see any orange boxes ;) 

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 04:15:37 AM »
Now you must find another one. That one is too beautiful to use.
Best,
Stan

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 08:44:45 AM »
Thanks for all the congratulations on my new arrival guys.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday taking it to bits and making sure that it was as good inside as it looks outside. I need not have worried it has all been rebuilt in a superb manner. I even got a spare set of special thrust bearings given with it.
Having placed wanted adverts, for one of these machines I was offered a few second hand ones for around £1500 each, then this one was offered for £550.
The problem was the guy who owned it just would not even consider letting me have it until he had finished it, I would have given him his asking price for it still in pieces, but no....I had to wait.

As you have seen the wait proved to be worthwhile, I am over the moon with it. You would have had serious tool envy if you had seen his workshop, all his equipment was in the same condition as this little machine, he had three Myford S7's three various types of 3D pantograph engravers a couple of Centec milling machines, approx four Pultra lathes, a Myford milling machine a BCA mk3 jig borer which is the later version of the Boley I got from him. He had a little Hauser jig borer in the process of getting the "treatment". The guy was a real "tool nut" in the nicest possible way.

So after some careful consideration, because it is in such good condition I am going to leave the drive system and spindle as it is for now, apart from fitting a variable speed motor and inverter.
The motor currently fitted is a brand new single phase 0.37Kw 2800 RPM one, and although it is good for running small cutters at a high speed, I want to be able to run it slowly for some jobs as well.
I think I will be able to run that motor on an inverter if I disconnect the condenser and reconnect the winding plates. A lot of people dont realise that you can do this with modern motors.

I have also used Jo's recommendation of a supplier and ordered a DRO system, he gave me a good discount on the slimline scales as well, (Thanks Jo  :ThumbsUp:)

As far as tooling is concerned, I am still open to offers of collets (Jo you have far too many  ;D) but I will be making a batch of blank arbours for boring head, fly cutter, drill chuck & slitting saws etc.

I will post details of how it progresses in due course.

Phil

Arbalest

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 10:30:12 AM »
Gosh, you're not going to start drilling holes in it to fit a DRO are you Phil?!

Offline John S

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 01:40:07 PM »
If you have to drill holes in it, for Christs sake don't tap them metric. The flat earth society will be spinning in their graves.
John Stevenson, Nottingham , England

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 02:03:37 PM »
 :lolb:

I didn't mention to Phil that the DRO kit comes with metric fastners  :naughty:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Arbalest

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 03:49:16 PM »
If the guy that sold it to you finds out ...

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 05:08:03 PM »
Its German, what sort of fasteners do you think it already has ?
You guessed it they are metric, its only the leadscrews that are imperial at 0.1" pitch.

I should be able to fit the DRO with very little modification to the machine, and will do it sympathetically with any un-avoidable additional holes where they are not normally seen.

I want to use this machine after I have got over the drooling stage, so the DRO will make it much nicer to use.

Phil

Offline Ginger Nut

• Woolnwood
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 08:16:29 AM »
A jig borer precisely locates and bores precision holes.   So the facility to locate accurately is utmost...so the screws are very accurate,..as well as the rotary table, and geometry is very good.

Moore Jig borers and grinders are straight, square and perpendicular in 20 millionths range....and the lead screws, which are custom lapped, have a pitch error that is 80 millionths low per inch....this is to allow for the screw growing with temperature once the machine has run for a while.

The idea is you mount the work, dial in the position and go...and it's right on the "fly (*@(! " which makes making these parts more cost effective.

I can only assume this is one in miniature...probably for the watchmaking industry.....I can see a watch plate on that table very easily...carefully laying out pivot holes.

Dave

Thanks Dave just found this reply. Its a brilliant bit of kit thats for sure even checked out the link.

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2013, 05:57:42 PM »
Well I have been busy making a few mods to my Boley Jig borer.
On thing that these early models lack are any means to lock the X or Y axis when milling.

I looked at how the Z axis lock works and made similar arrangements on the X & Y.

I did not like the "tommy bar" lock bolt on the Z axis, so remade one with the same hexagon to match the other two new ones.

The other simple item I made is a "dead stop" length bar. This goes either under the dove tail of the Y axis, or into the adjustable stop at the back of the X axis. In use you simply run that axis up to the stop and you are under the centre of the spindle with the table. Just a few minutes work to save loads of time setting up in the future.

Offline Deko

• Crewe, Cheshire, UK
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2013, 08:13:34 PM »
Fussy lot us ex Rolls Royce / Bentley blokes. Here is a pic of yours truly taken last week whilst removing the dashboard from an early 1960s James Young Bentley Continental in order to refinish it. Hope you like it. (the car that is, Not me)

Cheers Dek.

P.S. One of the car as well.

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2013, 09:12:06 PM »
Nice

Is that your own car or do you restore them for a living ?

My late father used to run a 1954 R type Bentley as everyday transport in the late 1970's.
He had four or five 1930's Rolls Royce's in the late 1950's early 60's, no one wanted them in those days. The last Rolls was a 1935 Phantom 2 that was sold to fund the purchase of his first steam roller in 1964, the Rolls went to America as far as I know.

Phil

PS Do you know Richard Hersey ?

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2013, 11:58:01 PM »
Beautiful machine.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2013, 01:49:54 AM »
I like that stop!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Deko

• Crewe, Cheshire, UK
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2013, 07:04:44 AM »
Hi Phil.
          The car does not belong to me, nowadays I could not afford the horn button from it. :( After finishing my apprenticeship in 1961 I left RR/Bentley and gave up working on cars in 1979. The job shown above was a one off favour for a friend, although I will have to put the thing back together once the woodwork has been restored.
Afraid I don't know Richard Hersey. :disappointed:

Cheers Dek.  :old:

P.S. Sorry for going OT.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal