Author Topic: New Baby Arrived Today  (Read 23862 times)

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
New Baby Arrived Today
« on: July 13, 2013, 11:17:25 PM »
Well it didn't just arrive I had to make a 180 mile round trip to collect it.

This is my new baby Jig Borer, you might think it looks like a BCA mk2 , but it is in fact the predecessor of the BCA and was made by Boley & Leinen just before the second world war. I bought it from an ex employee of Bentley cars, he was a real perfectionist and would not let me have it until he had totally rebuilt it.

What do you think ?, I am like a dog with two tails  :whoohoo:

Phil

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
Re: New Baby Arrived Today
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 11:36:02 PM »
I'd go to the moon for that beauty! Congrats.
Mosey

Arbalest

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 11:36:16 PM »
Very nice! lathes.co.uk might like some pictures of that for their archive.

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 11:42:49 PM »
Oh! VERY nice bit of kit! Looks like a keeper, but if you decide it's not ......... >:D
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 12:04:46 AM »
Wow looks fresh out of the factory fully restored and iexpect smooth as a baby bum .
very nice little jig borer.
Tin

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 12:34:25 AM »
It's beautiful; all most too nice to use.

Dave

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 12:41:22 AM »
Quite a beauty, Phil, and I understand the emotion but in my neck of the woods it is described as "Happy as a puppy with two peters."  The alliteration is important!  :lolb:

Congratulations!

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 12:59:41 AM »
That drop dead gorgeous Phil. Serious tool envy here!!

Bill

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 01:18:05 AM »
Wow :whoohoo: :cheers:

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 02:42:56 AM »
SAAAAWEEEEEEEET!

:cheers:
Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 05:21:47 AM »
It looks like it just came out of the factory.  That machine looks like it means business.

Excuse my ignorance guys but what does a jig borer do?  Looks like a mill with a permanent rotary table.

Vince

Offline Ginger Nut

• Woolnwood
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 05:54:51 AM »
I am in awe its a beauty as has been said like straight out of the box.

Pardon my ignorance but who's the maker?

The things I could do with that

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 07:14:58 AM »
Looks even better now Phil  :ThumbsUp:

I see she has got the second pair of jockey wheels I mentioned the other day. You might want to angle the front jockey wheel bracket in use to get a better belt line, if you decide to keep the current motor arrangement. Do you know what spindle speeds can you get?

Did she come with any collets or tooling? 

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Arbalest

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 10:39:08 AM »
Lots of info of the type here. Not used one myself but looks very useful!

http://www.lathes.co.uk/bca/index.html

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 02:15:31 PM »
A jig borer precisely locates and bores precision holes.   So the facility to locate accurately is utmost...so the screws are very accurate,..as well as the rotary table, and geometry is very good.

Moore Jig borers and grinders are straight, square and perpendicular in 20 millionths range....and the lead screws, which are custom lapped, have a pitch error that is 80 millionths low per inch....this is to allow for the screw growing with temperature once the machine has run for a while.

The idea is you mount the work, dial in the position and go...and it's right on the "fly (*@(! " which makes making these parts more cost effective.

I can only assume this is one in miniature...probably for the watchmaking industry.....I can see a watch plate on that table very easily...carefully laying out pivot holes.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2013, 03:43:55 PM »
Phil,

A couple of ideas of what you might want to add to her :naughty: The three collets at the front are BCA threaded milling cutter holders. I also have a 10mm chuck.  Both collet sets I have are imperial so the additional arbors are for metric cutter sizes. The orange box fully of BCA collets in the background is an original BCA box, so when you visit any second hand tool shops and you see any orange boxes ;) 

Jo

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 04:15:37 AM »
Now you must find another one. That one is too beautiful to use.
Best,
Stan

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 08:44:45 AM »
Thanks for all the congratulations on my new arrival guys.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday taking it to bits and making sure that it was as good inside as it looks outside. I need not have worried it has all been rebuilt in a superb manner. I even got a spare set of special thrust bearings given with it.
Having placed wanted adverts, for one of these machines I was offered a few second hand ones for around £1500 each, then this one was offered for £550.
The problem was the guy who owned it just would not even consider letting me have it until he had finished it, I would have given him his asking price for it still in pieces, but no....I had to wait.

As you have seen the wait proved to be worthwhile, I am over the moon with it. You would have had serious tool envy if you had seen his workshop, all his equipment was in the same condition as this little machine, he had three Myford S7's three various types of 3D pantograph engravers a couple of Centec milling machines, approx four Pultra lathes, a Myford milling machine a BCA mk3 jig borer which is the later version of the Boley I got from him. He had a little Hauser jig borer in the process of getting the "treatment". The guy was a real "tool nut" in the nicest possible way.

So after some careful consideration, because it is in such good condition I am going to leave the drive system and spindle as it is for now, apart from fitting a variable speed motor and inverter.
The motor currently fitted is a brand new single phase 0.37Kw 2800 RPM one, and although it is good for running small cutters at a high speed, I want to be able to run it slowly for some jobs as well.
I think I will be able to run that motor on an inverter if I disconnect the condenser and reconnect the winding plates. A lot of people dont realise that you can do this with modern motors.

I have also used Jo's recommendation of a supplier and ordered a DRO system, he gave me a good discount on the slimline scales as well, (Thanks Jo  :ThumbsUp:)

As far as tooling is concerned, I am still open to offers of collets (Jo you have far too many  ;D) but I will be making a batch of blank arbours for boring head, fly cutter, drill chuck & slitting saws etc.

I will post details of how it progresses in due course.

Phil

Arbalest

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 10:30:12 AM »
Gosh, you're not going to start drilling holes in it to fit a DRO are you Phil?!

Offline John S

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 01:40:07 PM »
If you have to drill holes in it, for Christs sake don't tap them metric. The flat earth society will be spinning in their graves.
John Stevenson, Nottingham , England

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 02:03:37 PM »
 :lolb:

I didn't mention to Phil that the DRO kit comes with metric fastners  :naughty:

Jo

Arbalest

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 03:49:16 PM »
If the guy that sold it to you finds out ...

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 05:08:03 PM »
Its German, what sort of fasteners do you think it already has ?
You guessed it they are metric, its only the leadscrews that are imperial at 0.1" pitch.

I should be able to fit the DRO with very little modification to the machine, and will do it sympathetically with any un-avoidable additional holes where they are not normally seen.

I want to use this machine after I have got over the drooling stage, so the DRO will make it much nicer to use.

Phil

Offline Ginger Nut

• Woolnwood
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 08:16:29 AM »
A jig borer precisely locates and bores precision holes.   So the facility to locate accurately is utmost...so the screws are very accurate,..as well as the rotary table, and geometry is very good.

Moore Jig borers and grinders are straight, square and perpendicular in 20 millionths range....and the lead screws, which are custom lapped, have a pitch error that is 80 millionths low per inch....this is to allow for the screw growing with temperature once the machine has run for a while.

The idea is you mount the work, dial in the position and go...and it's right on the "fly (*@(! " which makes making these parts more cost effective.

I can only assume this is one in miniature...probably for the watchmaking industry.....I can see a watch plate on that table very easily...carefully laying out pivot holes.

Dave

Thanks Dave just found this reply. Its a brilliant bit of kit thats for sure even checked out the link.

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2013, 05:57:42 PM »
Well I have been busy making a few mods to my Boley Jig borer.
On thing that these early models lack are any means to lock the X or Y axis when milling.

I looked at how the Z axis lock works and made similar arrangements on the X & Y.

I did not like the "tommy bar" lock bolt on the Z axis, so remade one with the same hexagon to match the other two new ones.

The other simple item I made is a "dead stop" length bar. This goes either under the dove tail of the Y axis, or into the adjustable stop at the back of the X axis. In use you simply run that axis up to the stop and you are under the centre of the spindle with the table. Just a few minutes work to save loads of time setting up in the future.

Offline Deko

• Crewe, Cheshire, UK
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2013, 08:13:34 PM »
Fussy lot us ex Rolls Royce / Bentley blokes. Here is a pic of yours truly taken last week whilst removing the dashboard from an early 1960s James Young Bentley Continental in order to refinish it. Hope you like it. (the car that is, Not me)

Cheers Dek.

P.S. One of the car as well.

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2013, 09:12:06 PM »
Nice

Is that your own car or do you restore them for a living ?

My late father used to run a 1954 R type Bentley as everyday transport in the late 1970's.
He had four or five 1930's Rolls Royce's in the late 1950's early 60's, no one wanted them in those days. The last Rolls was a 1935 Phantom 2 that was sold to fund the purchase of his first steam roller in 1964, the Rolls went to America as far as I know.

Phil

PS Do you know Richard Hersey ?

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2013, 11:58:01 PM »
Beautiful machine.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2013, 01:49:54 AM »
I like that stop!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Deko

• Crewe, Cheshire, UK
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2013, 07:04:44 AM »
Hi Phil.
          The car does not belong to me, nowadays I could not afford the horn button from it. :( After finishing my apprenticeship in 1961 I left RR/Bentley and gave up working on cars in 1979. The job shown above was a one off favour for a friend, although I will have to put the thing back together once the woodwork has been restored.
Afraid I don't know Richard Hersey. :disappointed:

Cheers Dek.  :old:

P.S. Sorry for going OT.

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2013, 10:36:36 PM »
Well as you will have realised things ground to a halt on Agnes once the Boley arrived.

I have been busy making modifications and tooling for it.

First job was to add a DRO kit on the X & Y axis, this means I don't need to wear a headband magnifier to see the dial graduations and the machine will be much nicer to use in general.
I have kept hole drilling to the absolute minimum to fit the scales, my set up is based firmly on how Jo did it on her later model BCA mk3.

I have just changed the single phase motor over to a three pahse one and am running it through a VFD inverter.
The 0.37 Kw single phase motor that was fitted was a new one, but I had a 0.55 Kw three phase one that had exactly the same foot mounting hole centres and shaft diameter etc, so it took about ten minutes to fit. I also had a Jaguar inverter of the correct size which I put away a couple of years ago for just such an occasion.
So all that has been wired up and being three phase it runs much smoother, I now have an available speed range from 340 to 3400 rpm and there is no noticeable loss of torque at the low revs either, so it should be better for slitting saws, boring head & fly cutting  etc.

I have made a set of lathe chuck mounting plates to fit the rotary table, but still have not decided on which vice to make a mounting plate for.

I have placed wanted ads in various places for collets to fit this machine, there was just one plain 1/4" collet with it, I managed to get only one reply which produced another 1/4" collet, but this one has the internal Clarkson thread for preventing cutter walk out.
Then last week at our local Bradford MES club meeting, a friend put his hand in his pocket and handed over a BCA collet he had a duplicate of.        You guessed it.............another 1/4", so I gracefully declined his kind offer.

I am now in the middle of making a batch of 18 collet arbours for mounting a variety of different tooling.
The Graham Meek screw-cutting clutch on my Myford has been a real godsend for cutting the metric drawbar threads on these.
More to follow soon.

Phil
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 10:43:13 PM by pgp001 »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2013, 12:23:34 PM »
I have a spare 5/16" collet. (Yes that is spare over and above that complete second set of imperial collets. That it is not totally impossible for me to be talked out of  ;) just very difficult) 

Talking about DA collets is tempting me into making a nose for my GHT Dividing head to match the the Cowells nose then I could use the set of 200DA's instead of the BCA collets in it :thinking:.

Jo

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2013, 12:37:37 PM »
That looks really sweet Phil!.....Nice!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2013, 12:49:05 PM »
One fine piece of machinery Phil and a nice job on the DRO.  Looking forward to seeing it in use too!

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2013, 02:43:12 PM »
That's a sweet little machine Phil, and like Bill said, looking forward to seeing it in action.

Don

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2013, 11:39:37 PM »
Here's a few photo's just taken off the camera tonight.

A couple of spare chucks that came with my watch makers lathe along with some potential mounting plates.

Faced up and slots being added.

A few tapped holes for mounting the chuck.

Four jaw fitted to Boley.

And three jaw.

Whilst I was at it I added a couple of extra slots in the chucks I made to fit the Alexander, so now they fit the Boley as well.

The four jaw needed a new key, so I made one with a long handle so you can use it without having to keep taking it in and out.
The business end is made from unhardened silver steel (drill rod) and is loctited into the main part which is plain mild steel.

This is the Jaguar inverter I am using to run the machine.

Phil

Offline Kiwi Bloke

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2018, 10:26:57 AM »
Just found this thread whilst looking for Boley UFR information. Rather a late reply, I'm afraid, and too late anyway...

pgp001's pictorial post on 2 Aug 2013 shows the addition of a slide lock. If I understand it correctly, the added wedge is pulled downwards by the screw to bear on the sliding face of the gib strip, in order to lock the slide. This is very bad practice, because the clamping force is reacted by the gib strip only. In some positions of the slide, the wedge will force the strip onto an adjusting screw, in other positions of the slide, there is a space between the gib strip and the stationary member. The gib strip will be sprung - if not actually bent. If the strip is not harder than the clamping wedge, its working face may be marred by the wedge, especially if there is no key to prevent the wedge from rotating. No doubt it will work - sort of - but action will be inconsistent. This lock design would be slightly more acceptable, but but still far from ideal, were the gib strip a taper gib, with full bearing on both of its surfaces. If a slide lock is to bear on a non-tapered gib strip, it should apply force to the strip in the same direction as the adjustment screws do.

Forgive me and ignore, if I have misunderstood the arrangement...

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2018, 01:55:57 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum Kiwi. pgp001 can no doubt address your question, but in the meantime, please take the time to post an introduction in the "introduce yourself" section.

Bill

Offline Ginger Nut

• Woolnwood
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2018, 05:16:09 AM »
Hi all been ages since I even look in on any part of the forum needed to take a step back.

I am in awe of this new toy you have bought for two reasons.

1 being another member on here posted about picking up one here in QLD along with lots of goodies to go with it. Bob lives not far from me 45mins or so http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,8047.msg171596.html#msg171596

2 It's is now mine  :cartwheel: has been for some time just never got it till Bob delivered it over. I had to make room and get a new trolley for it to sit on. It needs a clean up has been modified by the fellow Bob bought it off.

If I may ask for some help as I restore it please as I will strip it down etc.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 08:22:16 AM by Jo »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2018, 08:19:30 AM »

Ray, could I move this to a separate thread so that your restoration does not confuse members with Phil's original postings  :)

:headscratch: Or have you already done that.. by extending Bob's thread

Jo
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 08:22:46 AM by Jo »

Offline Ginger Nut

• Woolnwood
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2018, 01:52:59 AM »

Ray, could I move this to a separate thread so that your restoration does not confuse members with Phil's original postings  :)

:headscratch: Or have you already done that.. by extending Bob's thread

Jo

Jo I was hoping to leave that here as I wanted to ask a number of questions from Phil regarding his. Mine has been modified greatly with the pulleys and motor. The photo was purely to show the type and machine.

I will either continue in Bob's thread if thats ok with him and Admin however I may also start my own thread which might be better still once I start on the refurbishment.???

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2018, 07:49:36 AM »
Ok Ray leave it here but there are others that also own BCAs  ::)

Jo

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2018, 02:51:49 PM »
I am quite happy to answer any questions if I can, but dont forget that mine is not actually a BCA, its a pre war German Boley & Leinen but the BCA mk2 is almost an exact copy of it.

I was a bit gutted a couple of weeks ago.
There was a BCA mk3 jig borer advertised for sale by a member of our Bradford ME club but I missed it by a few hours after it had been snapped up by someone else.
The reason it was snapped up so quickly was that it had a miniscule asking price of £150 ono complete with a set of collets and original boring head etc.  :(

Phil

Offline Ginger Nut

• Woolnwood
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2019, 04:53:37 AM »
Ok Ray leave it here but there are others that also own BCAs  ::)

Jo
Really I  could not find any others.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Offline Ginger Nut

• Woolnwood
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2019, 04:55:42 AM »
I am quite happy to answer any questions if I can, but dont forget that mine is not actually a BCA, its a pre war German Boley & Leinen but the BCA mk2 is almost an exact copy of it.

I was a bit gutted a couple of weeks ago.
There was a BCA mk3 jig borer advertised for sale by a member of our Bradford ME club but I missed it by a few hours after it had been snapped up by someone else.
The reason it was snapped up so quickly was that it had a miniscule asking price of £150 ono complete with a set of collets and original boring head etc.  :(

Phil
Sorry eomlong in replying. You help would great, I've had to leave it be as I've torn a ligament in my right shoulder. I'll pm you letter

Ray

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal