Author Topic: New grinder  (Read 7250 times)

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
New grinder
« on: July 13, 2013, 02:58:40 PM »
One of the items I have pondered for years is a wet stone grinder. These allow tools to be sharpened to a keen edge without the fear of overheating the tool edge and the added advantage of keeping grinding dust to a minimum. On one of the other forums the Scheppach Tiger 2500 was mentioned.  as was Tormek. I also researched Grizzly  and looked at a less expensive Sheppach  8" version.

It came from sears for just over $200

it has a 250mm x 50  alox 220 grit wheel
200 x 30 leather strop hone on a second shaft.
a 1/4 hp continuous duty motor
a standard tool holder
German made so a quality import.

The grizzly is about $30 cheaper made in china and not sure what tool holder comes with it as it is not pictured and pay shipping on 40 lbs.
So next week I guess will do a tool review.

I plan on using this for kitchen knives the occasional axe and yes a finer edge on the lathe and shaper tools.
Tin

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: New grinder
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 03:27:16 PM »
Tin, are the rpm's lower that a traditional grinder or does it just rely on the water to keep the tool cool?

Bill

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 03:44:05 PM »
Yes much slower  like 100 rpm as apposed to 3450 on my jet  6".
Probably can do radius on it.
Tin

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 04:53:43 PM »
I have a Makita slow wet grinder for many years and love it. Mine has the wheel horizontal, and a very heavy cast iron blade holder for chisels, planes, etc. I use it for finish shaping small parts and cutters. Water drips onto the wheel from a small tank. You can do a full jointer blade on it. came with 2 stones, green and orangy.
Mosey

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 07:09:20 PM »
I have the Grizzly version Tin and I love it. I purchased the blade attachment for it also.

Don

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 08:07:08 PM »
I have seen and considered the the G1036 type combo grinder the one with a 100 grit 4/14" wheel and the 10" wet stone wheel.
but since I already have a 6" jet  I should be fine.
Tin

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 02:37:31 PM »
After a little more research looks like I need these as well.

will just make the jobs I want to do  faster and easier.

Tin

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 03:14:57 PM »
Just checked mine out. Makita Model 9820. Is now $350.00 at Amazon! Gulp! I bought it 15 years ago for about $179.00. Very nice though.
Good luck with your choice.
Mosey

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 03:38:25 PM »
Thanks mosey  yes seems the price cost of everything goes up except the paycheck.
the tool kit above is something I saw and hesitated to buy . but since watching demo videos looks like i need for the sake of speed safety and conservation of tools. So looks like will have to place another order to sears on line.
Tin

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 03:48:52 PM »
 :o I have a Draper Wet stone grinder that a friend gave me when he needed some space. I can't find the price of the grinder but I was  :o to find the spare wheels are £85.

It's a nice grinder for doing off hand grinding  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 02:15:06 AM »
The first installment.
The grinder received today along with the box of grinding jigs, Fast shipping from sears.com.  Also picked up a stone grader from woodcraft in Newcastle DE.

The packaging on the grinder was somewhat damaged the box torn an taped and the inside foam broken in several places. the grinder itself seems fine. Plugged it in turned it on slight wobble to the wheel probably should be trued but do not want to spend the money on a truing jig right now. The switch is different than pictured but no big deal. The switch looks just like the one on the comparable grizzly machine. as a matter of fact the machines look the same except for stickers and pain color. I have other grizzly machines and like them so  no worries. at some point will get pictures and need to do some testing. and I need to make a table for grinding lathe tools yes could buy one but where is the fun i n that.
I am a little confused as country of origin the machine and box say made in Germany(In German) but the box also says made in PRC. 
but I expect made in the same factory as the Grizzly .

Tin
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 02:20:01 AM by Tin Falcon »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 02:32:55 AM »
Probably made in PRC to the specs of the german compant. Either way it should be fine and is a nice looking machine! Keep us posted on your findings.

Bill

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
Comments on the manual (s)
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 02:26:17 PM »
Scheppach: very basic and thin. contains the expected safety warnings in Chinglish. covers basics pretty well Not thorough by any means.
does have a couple small nuggets of info I did learn from reading. 8pgs so thin

Since I believe this identical to the grizzly I downloaded that manual as well.
Grizzly : as always several pages of standard shop safety and electrical safety warnings.
That said the grizzly manual is much more informative. it gives a procedure for removing the shipping block on the motor and a big warning to do so. it gives a test procedure and a troubleshooting guide. Includes color photo and color wiring diagram. 30 pages better.

and since the Tormek is the real deal and the manual is available on line I downloaded that too. 150 pages and actual instructions for all the available jigs as well as instruction for free hand grinding.

High dollar top shelf tool and the manual reflects this but no reason I can not learn from the Tormek manual for using my Chinese, German engineered grinder.
Tin

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 06:18:29 PM »
The biggest problem I have with overheating lathe tool bits is not during the sharpening phase, but rather during the initial shaping phase.  I would that the latter would take several weeks on a 100 RPM, 10" grinding wheel. 

I have often pondered some sort of automatic grinding device where the tool it would rest against a very slow moving wheel and automatically shut off when the job was finished.  That way you could set it up, start it running, and let go for several hours unattended.

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 06:55:43 PM »

A look underneath the hood. this is a simple setup the drive system is gravity holding the motor against a rubber drive wheel.
 sharpened a number of knives both withe the jigs and free hand with good results. not impressed with the axe jig and have not tryed scissors yet.
Tin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal