Author Topic: Workshop garrotte  (Read 27342 times)

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
Workshop garrotte
« on: July 02, 2013, 12:46:18 AM »
There are innumerable designs for tools to hold screws in place until you can get them started but the one I seem to use the most is one of my own design.  I call it a garrotte for obvious reasons and it's simple to fabricate in the home shop.

Mine consists of a loop of waxed, heavy-duty thread pulled through a length of 1/8" OD brass tubing.
A wire passing through the loop and anchored to the end of the tube prevents the garrotte loop from being pulled back into the tube when the ends projecting from the other end of the tube are pulled.

In use, it's looped around the screw to be positioned...

and pulled tight, thus trapping the screw.

The screw is still free to rotate about its axis.  The tube is then used to position the screw while a driver seats it into whatever receives the screw.

Takes about ten minutes to make and that includes waxing the thread.

I discovered it has a secondary use.  Until they perfect non-ferrous magnets, it makes a pretty good lasso for snaring small items dropped into finger-inaccessible holes.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
Re: Workshop garrotte
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 01:32:15 AM »
S snake snatcher for screws. I love it
E

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
Workshop garrotte
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 01:57:02 AM »
Another good one Marv. Love the birthday formula casually dropped into frame.

Hugh.

Offline DICKEYBIRD

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 03:18:23 AM »
Could've used that one yesterday.  Thanks, will have to make one soon!
"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 03:59:42 AM »
Love the birthday formula casually dropped into frame.

Not quite.  That's part of the solution to a puzzle I posed to a friend of mine.  He had the nerve to give me a numerical answer that he obtained with some (spit) CAD program [one of the main reasons so many people can't do any math].  He acted as if I wanted the answer.  In much of math, the answer is irrelevant; what is important is the analysis to obtain it.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 11:50:45 AM »
Ingenious as always Marv....thanks!!!

Bill

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 03:47:37 AM »
Brilliant idea Marv and was needed yesterday so a timely post. I wonder if I can scale it up and make it suitable to capture and restrain politicians?? :mischief:
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 04:40:43 AM »
 :Lol: I made several larger versions back when I was wrangling snakes and other critturs for a living. Never ever occurred to me to scale it down for workshop use. Suppose that just goes to prove you can't be have brains AND be good looking!
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 08:52:45 AM »
Based on the mug shots so far on offer and on the comments below............................ :stir:

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 09:01:05 AM »
 Thanks Tel: What does that say for me.. the truth is out   :shrug::lolb:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 03:26:28 AM »
Love the birthday formula casually dropped into frame.

Not quite.  That's part of the solution to a puzzle I posed to a friend of mine.  He had the nerve to give me a numerical answer that he obtained with some (spit) CAD program [one of the main reasons so many people can't do any math].  He acted as if I wanted the answer.  In much of math, the answer is irrelevant; what is important is the analysis to obtain it.
Ok, Marv, you whetted my curiosity.  :stir:  Now I'm going to have to lurk in chatterbox to see if any puzzles show up.
(While the answer is sometimes relevant, the analysis is certainly where the fun is to be found.
Alan

Offline Pete49

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 03:49:53 AM »
Jo rest assured it only applies to Tel....Having seen a photo of you a while back all I can say is the brain is packed in a beautiful package proving once and for all that brains and beauty can go together. Ignore Tel's comments as he is  just an old coot that's been caught out :lolb: :lolb: Maybe he should just  :toilet_claw:
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 07:22:01 AM »
 :embarassed: Thanks Pete you are a real gent  ;D

But the photo you refer to was many  some a few a couple of years ago, I am still working on preventing any modern photo's appearing that might spoil your image of me  :naughty:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline tel

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 07:24:40 AM »
Watch it Jo - he probably wants to borrow something.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 04:24:20 PM »

Ok, Marv, you whetted my curiosity.  :stir:  Now I'm going to have to lurk in chatterbox to see if any puzzles show up.
(While the answer is sometimes relevant, the analysis is certainly where the fun is to be found.

OK, here's the problem I posed...

Imagine a coordinate system scribed on a vertical wall.  One end of a 30 cm frictionless string is secured at the origin (0,0).  The other end is secured at (15,-12).  Free to slide on this string is a small weight.  What are the coordinates of the weight when it comes to rest?

Remember, no CAD solutions or experimental results need apply.  We want to see the problem worked out in mathematical form leading to expressions for the coordinates.

If that one frustrates you, here's an easier one I posed to him a while back.

One of the most famous equations in mathematics is:

e^(i*pi) = -1

where:

e = base of natural logarithms = 2.71828...
i = square root of -1
pi = 3.14159...

Prove that this is true. 
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline Alan Haisley

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 09:30:03 PM »
One of the most famous equations in mathematics is:

e^(i*pi) = -1
Prove that this is true.
To darn much stuff online. It is fairly easy to get to Euler's Identity, from there to Euler's Formula, and from there to several proofs.
The first one is more interesting in that I need to actually work it out (somehow), rather than just look up a solution and so it's the one I'm thinking about.
I remember sitting in class while the professor put a proof of Euler's Identity on the board, but I certainly don't remember it. Still, in terms of mathematical elegance I would say that it certainly beats out anything else.
I have to thank Vi Hart for one of her recreational mathematics videos in the Kahn Academy for reminding me where to search. I try to review her exposition on pi and tau every pi day; have to admit though that I haven't celebrated tau day yet.
Alan

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 07:06:07 PM »
I hear bongos in the desert. You really do respect the mans work, cheers my friend.

E

Offline Alan Haisley

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 02:04:15 AM »
Marv,
This is what I came up with:
Hard as this was, it was also fun
Alan

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 03:02:52 AM »
Sine me on Cos I'm infinitely variable even to the point of cycling backwards. Others just think I'm minus one. My Dad threatened to nail my other foot to the floor to stop me going round in circles.

Best Regards
Bob

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 04:43:52 PM »
Marv,
This is what I came up with:
Hard as this was, it was also fun
Alan

Congratulations, Alan, you got the correct answer.  Your method was ingenious but way too complicated.

The secret to getting an answer simply is to realize that the angle (theta in the attached diagram) made with the string must be equal on both sides.  [If they were not there would be a component of gravity operating on the weight to pull it to the position where the angles are equal.]

Armed with that insight, one can compute the angle and from there on it's just some simple trig grinding to get the answer.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline Alan Haisley

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 04:51:46 PM »
I suspected that I had found one of the hardest ways to solve it.  :shrug:  But, not only did my earlier comments pretty much force me to post some kind of answer, I was sure that until I did you wouldn't post yours  ;D
Alan

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 04:59:04 PM »
I suspected that I had found one of the hardest ways to solve it.  :shrug:  But, not only did my earlier comments pretty much force me to post some kind of answer, I was sure that until I did you wouldn't post yours  ;D
Alan

Hey, Alan, be proud of yourself.  Not only did you solve it and produce a verification of my equal angle assertion in the process, but you were the only one to attempt a solution.  That fact flatters not only your mathematical abilities but your character as well.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 04:59:50 PM »
You guys make me realize that the three years I spent in the 10th grade were all wasted. Well, maybe not, the cheerleaders were fun.

Eric

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 02:46:39 PM »
For the string problem, I got 3 equations in 3 unknowns but havent gotten around to solving them yet.
   ...lew...

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 04:46:15 PM »
You guys make me realize that the three years I spent in the 10th grade were all wasted. Well, maybe not, the cheerleaders were fun.

Eric
Weren't all of your years in school wasted?
Your Yankee pal,
Mosey

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 04:52:02 PM »
Want to really wind your math neurons tight as a harp string?  If so, try this problem but, I warn you, this is not for the faint of heart.

A 6 unit cubical box is pushed tight against a vertical wall.  A 25 unit long ladder is placed against the wall such that it just touches the edge of the box.  What is the height of the point at which the ladder touches the wall?

Remember, the numerical answer is not the object here.  Any fool with a CAD program can find that.  What is required is the mathematical reasoning that leads to the answer.  The numerical answer is then just a quick way to check the validity of the reasoning.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline Mosey

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 05:35:14 PM »
Please clarify what is meant by 6 unit cubical box. 6 units per edge, side?
Mosey

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 05:51:13 PM »
Mosey

Each edge is 6 units long.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2013, 06:40:23 PM »
Mosey, none of them were. It's where I learned about sex, chemistry, and Rock-n-Roll. Hey, it was the 70's. At my senior prom I had the band announce that I would be buying drinks for all faculty members in the lounge. My bar bill was over $200 bucks, and that was in '77. I took an English teacher from another high school to that one. My, how times have changed. She would be on the news at 6:00 for that now.

Whiskey

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2013, 12:22:23 AM »
Mosey, none of them were. It's where I learned about sex, chemistry, and Rock-n-Roll. Hey, it was the 70's. At my senior prom I had the band announce that I would be buying drinks for all faculty members in the lounge. My bar bill was over $200 bucks, and that was in '77. I took an English teacher from another high school to that one. My, how times have changed. She would be on the news at 6:00 for that now.

Whiskey

I don't see why she would be in trouble.  You were 21 then, weren't you?

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline Raggle

• Newtown, Montgomery, Powys mid-Wales
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2013, 12:30:09 AM »
Marv, I first came across that problem with the exact figures when I first got on the 'net in '98 (20ft ladder, 6ft cube) and have been entertained by it ever since, though I gained a bad reputation for asking all and sundry for an answer.

My bro-in-law, freshly in receipt of his pure maths degree, came back with a 6 line method in 2 days. But wildly wrong answer. He hadn't done the easy bit, checking with Pythagoras. He swore his maths was right.

I posed the question on a site which was set up to organise our centenary school reunion and a young whippersnapper from 2 years below me came back with a superb method but got his answer one foot out. Fell on the simple arithmetic.

No, I'm still not competent enough to do it, though I can follow this chap's method and am still in awe. I have seen a shorter method since.

I will post the whippersnapper's method, on request, but not until this thread runs its course.

Ray
All we're trying to do is combine a fuel and an oxidant in the combustion chamber and burn it in the hope of getting some useful thrust out of the back end. It's not rocket science.

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2013, 12:31:46 AM »
Zing, good one Jerry. Nope really just 18

Offline Raggle

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2013, 12:35:16 AM »
Oops! Your ladder is 25, mine is 20

Still, the problem is no easier in either case

Ray
All we're trying to do is combine a fuel and an oxidant in the combustion chamber and burn it in the hope of getting some useful thrust out of the back end. It's not rocket science.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2013, 12:38:21 AM »
Ray,

Yeah, it's been around for quite a while.  An oldie but goodie, so to speak.

I'm hoping our resident genii here on the forum will come up with a spectacularly concise new solution.

When I first attempted it, I came up with a quartic equation.  It was the first time in my whole career that I had legitimately arrived at a quartic.  With some clever substitutions, though, one can work around the quartic and only have to solve quadratics.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2013, 12:43:23 AM »
Mosey

Each edge is 6 units long.

The way that I read the problem was that the 6 unit cubical box was a box of 6 cubical unit volume so  sides (and edges) would be equal to the cube root of 6. Aren't sides and edges the same? And  it seems that there should be two solutions but I don't have it yet.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline Pete49

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2013, 04:19:46 AM »
the answer is......42...... :lolb: :Jester: :mischief:
Pete

Offline Raggle

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2013, 11:51:18 AM »
Here's where I found it all those years ago

http://www.stirlingsouth.com/richard/math.htm

Though the question in question is not trig

Ray

Offline Nickle

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2013, 01:57:39 PM »
This is a tough one. I got to the point of arriving at the quartic and am looking for another approach. Its been a while since I've had a shot at a set of simultaneous equations and I'm not sure those skills are still present. Lucky you didn't ask us to account for sag in the ladder due to gravity.

Regards

Nick

Offline Raggle

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2013, 02:40:34 PM »
That's why the crate is there, Nick :)

Ray

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2013, 04:44:54 PM »
And  it seems that there should be two solutions but I don't have it yet.

Very insightful, Jerry, and quite correct.  Think about it.  There are two ways to place the ladder so it's simultaneously touching the box, the wall and the ground.  In one position the ladder is close to vertical, reaching as far up the wall as possible.  In the other it's more nearly horizontal, with the ground end far from the wall.  Actually, these two cases are really the same case with the roles of the wall and ground interchanged.

Either solution is "correct" but by convention it's usually the first that is quoted.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2013, 04:58:22 PM »
Aren't sides and edges the same?

No, they aren't.  A cube has 6 sides (Faces) and 12 Edges.  A point where Edges meet is called a Vertex and the cube has 8 of them.

Euler gave us a relation among these values for regular solids...

V - E + F = 2

8 - 12 + 6 = 2

As an example, a tetrahedron (4 equilateral triangle Faces) has 6 Edges and 4 Vertices.

4 - 6 + 4 = 2

Try it for an icosahedron (I don't have the patience.)
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline Mosey

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2013, 06:10:37 PM »
This is a tough but interesting problem, but I admit that I am more interested in how light falls on the cube and shadows are cast across it by the ladder. I'm still working on the geometry.
Mosey :noidea:

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2013, 01:32:18 AM »
I gave up because I couldn't remember how to manipulate quadratic equations and too lazy to look it up. :old: :slap: :happyreader:

Best Regards
Bob

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2013, 06:59:55 AM »
If the distance from the floor to the top of the ladder is 'A' then

(A-6)2 + (6 + 36/(a-6) )2 - 625 = 0

or A is a little more than 23 1/2 but that is as far as I can go.  My eyes just slammed shut.

Jerry

NOTARY SOJAK

Offline Alan Haisley

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2013, 08:21:42 PM »
Marv,
This one had me going for a while. After a long time demonstrating that a+b=b+a and similar silliness,  :-[  I came up with an answer that I liked.  :cheers:
By the way, two other answers come to mind: 31 and 30.27  :LittleDevil:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 08:27:07 PM by Alan Haisley »

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2013, 09:36:12 PM »
Well done again, Alan.  I'm going to have to start digging for more difficult problems in order to keep you challenged.

I hope this departure from engine minutiae has helped our members to understand what mathematics really is all about. 
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Arbalest

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2013, 09:52:38 PM »
I used to use these years ago but since the advent of cyano I've had no use for them.

http://www.quickwedge.com/original.htm

I had to assemble a nut, spring washer, plain washer and bolt combo on a piece of equipment this weekend where the nuts and washers were inside some box tube - out came the cyano again!

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2013, 09:59:49 PM »
Yeah, I've got several of those - well, similar, same principle, not same maker.

I've used them successfully a few times but most times they were more a source of frustration.

All screws should be Robertson style or SHCS.  Then all one needs is a magnet.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline dsquire

• Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2013, 10:04:27 PM »
Yeah, I've got several of those - well, similar, same principle, not same maker.

I've used them successfully a few times but most times they were more a source of frustration.

All screws should be Robertson style or SHCS.  Then all one needs is a magnet.

I'm in full agreement with you on that Marv.

Cheers :)

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Arbalest

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2013, 10:04:51 PM »
Oh yes, I like Robbie drivers and screws but they are'nt very popular over here for some reason. I've found that Robbie fasteners "stick" onto the driver well enough on it's own, at least on the most popular red Robbie.

Offline black85vette

• Rick in Yukon, OK
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2013, 10:18:28 PM »
I had one similar to this some time ago.  Liked it a lot.

http://toolmonger.com/2009/12/24/dealmonger-stanley-clip-n-grip-799/

Mine didn't have the tip that can be changed.

Still like the idea of the garrotte and need to add that to my collection of useful stuff.

PS thanks for all the cool math.  Way over my head.   I just deal with 1's and 0's and apply logic to them. There are 10 types of people in the world; those who know binary and those who don't.    :-)

Arbalest

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2013, 10:23:34 PM »
Just use your standard screwdriver you always like to use but add a tiny drop of cyano (superglue) to hold the fastener temporarily in place - you won't use anything else once you've tried it!

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2013, 11:52:44 PM »
Marv

So... was I right?

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2013, 05:31:40 PM »
Marv

So... was I right?

Jerry

You're right that the answer is a bit more than 23.5 but if I substitute the correct answer A=23.673 into your equation...

(A-6)^2 + (6 + 36/(a-6) )^2 - 625 = 0

I get a value, -248.07, that's very far from zero.  Sadly, that indicates that the equation is flawed.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline Mosey

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2013, 07:25:03 PM »
I'm having trouble here. If the ladder is 25 long, and it touches the wall somewhere around 23.5 above the floor, then the base would be 8.54. That wouldn't allow a 6 unit cube under the ladder higher than about 3, not 6. Did I miss  something?
Mosey :headscratch: :headscratch:

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2013, 07:40:43 PM »
Draw a diagram and do a bit of checking, Mosey.

The ladder makes an angle of:

A = asin(23.673/25) = 71.248 deg

with the ground.

Armed with this value, calculate how far the bottom of the ladder is from the face of the box...

x = 6 / tan(A) = 2.037

Add that to the edge length of the box (6) and you get 8.037, which is:

8.037 = sqrt (25^2 - 23.673^2)

In cliche terms, it all adds up.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2013, 09:21:35 PM »
Marv

So... was I right?

Jerry

You're right that the answer is a bit more than 23.5 but if I substitute the correct answer A=23.673 into your equation...

(A-6)^2 + (6 + 36/(a-6) )^2 - 625 = 0

I get a value, -248.07, that's very far from zero.  Sadly, that indicates that the equation is flawed.

:facepalm: RATS!
NOTARY SOJAK

Offline Alan Haisley

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2013, 01:13:36 AM »
I wonder if an Admin could split off the math part of this and move it to "Chatterbox"? Perhaps its name there could be
Marv's Marvelous Mathematical Mysteries - Enter at your own risk.
While enjoyable as it's own thing, it shouldn't detract from the screw garrote discussion; pretty much my fault since I asked the question.
Alan

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2013, 05:09:28 AM »
Marv

Due to the late hour and heavy eyes, I misstated my solution.  It should have been:

(A + 6)2  +  (6 + 36/A)2 - 625 = 0

However, the value of A represents the height of the ladder above the crate
so the value substituted should be 17.673 which gives a value of .004.....

I think I got it right!

Jerry
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 05:28:36 AM by Captain Jerry »
NOTARY SOJAK

Offline gordonW

« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2013, 11:21:39 AM »
Re:- holding screws etc.  I just poke them thru' a bit of paper or card, old but works.
Re:- The maths , maybe I have mis-read this ,maybe I don't understand American, but I'm lost. Used to think I was pretty good maths. But keep 'em coming, good to think now and then.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2013, 04:56:16 PM »
Marv

Due to the late hour and heavy eyes, I misstated my solution.  It should have been: ...

Proofreading is a virtue.

Your equation is a quartic.  Are you going to show us how you go about solving for A?
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2013, 05:11:20 PM »
Marv

You asked for the reasoning, not the solution.

I'm going to go strap some wings on the donkey.  I don't think it will fly, but if it does, I will be able to show the solution.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2013, 05:37:18 PM »
Re:- The maths , maybe I have mis-read this ,maybe I don't understand American, but I'm lost. Used to think I was pretty good maths. But keep 'em coming, good to think now and then.

Just be glad that I didn't request that all the arithmetic be done with Egyptian fractions.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2013, 11:33:00 PM »
Marv

You asked for the reasoning, not the solution.

I'm going to go strap some wings on the donkey.  I don't think it will fly, but if it does, I will be able to show the solution.

Jerry

If we convert your equation to its canonical quartic form, we have:

A^4 + 12*A^3 - 553*A^2 + 432*A + 1296 = 0

Plugging these coefficients into my 234 program, we get the following solutions...

Order of equation to solve (2,3,4) [2] ? 4

For order 4 term, input coefficient
  • ? 1

For order 3 term, input coefficient
  • ? 12

For order 2 term, input coefficient
  • ? -553

For order 1 term, input coefficient
  • ? 432

For order 0 term, input coefficient
  • ? 1296

Solutions to:
 +1.0000 * x^4 +12.0000 * x^3 -553.0000 * x^2 +432.0000 * x^1 +1296.0000 = 0
are:
real:  17.672904  imaginary:  0.000000
real:  2.037017  imaginary:  0.000000
real:  -1.179138  imaginary:  0.000000
real:  -30.530782  imaginary:  0.000000

Note that the first solution (17.673) is the correct answer when added to the box height.  The second solution, when added to the box edge, is the (correct) distance of the bottom of the ladder from the wall.  [This is the other solution when the problem is rotated 90 degrees.]  The last two solutions are extraneous and can be disregarded.

Well done, Jerry.  In fact, it's your approach that I used when writing the program to solve this problem for arbitrary box and ladder sizes.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2013, 04:18:32 AM »
Marv

You might not believe this but the donkey took to the wings like a natural athlete.  After only two practice attempts, he gained enough altitude to clear the fence. Unfortunately, he did not have enough altitude to clear the tree line and wound up in the mid-level of an ancient live oak.  It took me most of the afternoon to talk him down.

On the way back to the house, I remembered my promise to walk you through the solution.  I guess I took too long playing with the donkey, because when I logged on to post the solution, I saw that you had already figured it out for yourself!  Nice going!

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

Offline tel

« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2013, 07:08:58 AM »
Well y'awl lost me a couple of pages ago BUT .... as far as I can see the problem has not been resolved at all. Take a look at the question again;

A 6 unit cubical box is pushed tight against a vertical wall.  A 25 unit long ladder is placed against the wall such that it just touches the edge of the box.  What is the height of the point at which the ladder touches the wall?

Nowhere is the height of the wall specified! Now if the height of the wall is greater than then length of the ladder, all well and good BUT if the wall happens to be shorter by any significant amount then H=h. No variation is possible.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2013, 05:13:36 PM »
Thanks so much for that, Tel.  I just don't know what we would do without these penetrating insights of yours.  Well, actually, I do know but I'm keeping it a secret lest it elicit another penetrating insight.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline tel

« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2013, 09:10:15 PM »
Just thought you should know - there was a risk that you might try to lean the ladder on the wall at a point avove the top, and someone might get seriously injured!  ;)

Offline Mosey

« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2013, 09:36:53 PM »
Tel,
Try to avoid complicating the logic with facts.
Mosey

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2013, 01:20:03 AM »
OK,

I used the cheats way

Sin B =6/ZCos B =Y/Z
Sin B =X/ACos B =6/A
Sin B =(X+6)/25Cos B =(Y+6)/25
Assign to B
deg
    = 6/Z
   =Y/Z
Z =
Y =
X+6 =
X =
Tan B =
B =
Solved by Iteration!!

Best Regards
Bob

Offline Mosey

« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2013, 02:09:33 AM »
It can be solved rather quickly graphically (the Hardy Cross method), though obviously not exact.
Mosey

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2013, 04:27:37 PM »
It can be solved rather quickly graphically (the Hardy Cross method), though obviously not exact.
Mosey

And you'll learn nothing about mathematics by doing so.  Remember this from the original statement of the problem?

Remember, the numerical answer is not the object here.  Any fool with a CAD program can find that.  What is required is the mathematical reasoning that leads to the answer.  The numerical answer is then just a quick way to check the validity of the reasoning.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal