Author Topic: Bridgeport!!!!  (Read 7506 times)

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
Bridgeport!!!!
« on: June 21, 2013, 11:04:05 PM »
Well, I finally found one (the one in the front.)

1967 2J head, 36" table, chrome ways, one-shot oiler. The frosting is the best I've seen.

Should clean up nicely. Very little backlash on X and Y.

Delivery is Tuesday so I have a bunch of stuff to do. Almost finished with the new 240V line.
The VFD is on the way as is the DRO. Since all of my tooling, etc. is R8 from the BF20, I'm good to go. I traded the BF20 for the rigging all the way to the basement shop.

Watch for pix and videos on Tuesday nite.
Best,
Stan

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Bridgeport!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 12:16:33 AM »
Wow Stan, that is a chunk of steel. That baby looks like its heavy. You have a way to lift it or roll it into you shop?

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 12:29:03 AM »
Nice find Stan...now oliver has a new friend :)

Bill

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 01:58:28 AM »
Bill
I have to name it once it gets home.

Don

As far as moving it, I'm leaving it to the pros. All of my friends have bad backs or knees (no matter how much single malt I  offer.)
My machinery dealer is going to deliver to the designated spot in the shop. Drive truck across lawn (cringe)
,then down the side of the house (cringe again) then lower BP with the crane on his truck onto a pallet roller thingee., then roll thru double glass doors (I'm taking both panels out) and onto the marked spot.

They do it all the time (minus the lawn traverse)
Best,
Stan

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 02:09:58 AM »
Great score Stan....and your right...let the pros do it

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Mayhem

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 12:57:25 PM »
Very nice!

Don't worry about the lawn.  Whilst the Mrs. is fixing the damage you will be able to enjoy your mill uninterrupted...

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 02:47:23 AM »
It's home!!!
Full report and videos tomorrow. A few teasers to hold you over.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VUBS8w7Bjw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VUBS8w7Bjw</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJkZx7CFgCg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJkZx7CFgCg</a>

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 02:51:49 AM by sshire »
Best,
Stan

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 02:51:46 AM »
Can't wait to hear about it!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 02:53:21 AM »
Nice Stan, I gather that all went well getting it into your shop. It doesn't look so big now that its inside. Enjoy it bud you deserve it.  :cheers:

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 12:24:16 PM »
Glad you got it moved in safely Stan...it sure does help to have the right rigging and lifting equipment !!  Then again the guys in this short video thought they did as well :)

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 12:33:31 PM by b.lindsey »

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 12:41:39 PM »
I'm sure you're going to be more than happy with this machine and it looks to be in excellent condition. I had looked at a couple when I was making my upgrade from the round column mill but none looked this good and I had to get it into my basement. I'm jealous!
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 09:39:53 PM »
George
After spending last night just looking at it, it's better than I thought. Everything works as it should with no strange noises. I crawled underneath with flashlight and the bottom of the table has nearly perfect frosting. This had to be a lightly used mill. I'm very happy. Open invitation to come anytime and use it.
Best,
Stan

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 09:40:26 PM »
Yesterday morning I drove to Cook Machine to follow the Bridgeport to its new home.
Jim and Tom Cook know more about machine tools than anyone I've met and I spent too much time with Tom listening to his dissertations on "Textron Bridgeports", Why Oliver Tool and Cutter Grinders are exceptional pieces of engineering and a quick look at a Monarch 10EE that had just recently come in.. Before we took off, he gave me an original Bridgeport manual and a color brochure (circa 1962) of the Series 1.

Jim and Tom loaded the mill onto the truck and strapped it down. I followed most of they way and then led Jim through the back roads to my house.

The traverse of the yard was without incident. Nothing torn up, no ruts no divots and not a broken branch.

After having seen many Youtube videos of "self-moved" Bridgeports with the mill owner, 7 friends, a case of beer, a borrowed trailer and an engine hoist, I was more than a little apprehensive about one guy moving 2000+ pounds into the shop and putting it in the opening I had cut in the shop's wooden floor so the mill would be directly on concrete. This was, obviously, not his first rodeo.

Off it came via the crane onto a pallet jack. He rolled it over to the door, and placed and moved wooden blocking like a puzzle to make the 4" height difference. Onto 2 pieces of steel pipe as rollers. I was the designated pipe mover and placer. At Jim's direction, I'd angle a pipe and with one push, the mill began the 90 degree turn. Move the pipe again. I was directed to place the pipe at some angle that he knew instinctively, another push and the mill almost turned by itself. I had made the cutout in the floor (top of floor to slab is only 1.5") 6" larger than the mill base. I measured it last night and he put it in that opening only ¼" off center, side to side and ½" off, front to back.

Total time from the time the truck started across the lawn until done: 1 hour 8 minutes!!
Nothing like a professional.

So here is the video. Enjoy.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tINc3jxAPlM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tINc3jxAPlM</a>
Best,
Stan

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 10:53:04 PM »
Awesome video Stan, I really like the history part of it. Thanks for sharing that with us. Now its time to make swarf.  :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 11:18:02 PM »
Awesome Stan!......I see you have a Glacier Vise on it....I really like mine!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal