Author Topic: T-NUTS for ML7  (Read 16545 times)

Offline Ginger Nut

• Woolnwood
Re: T-NUTS for ML7
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 06:23:21 AM »
Whilst I have bought a couple in the past (can't remember why!) I would'nt think of buying T nuts, I make my own when I need them.
I started when I could'nt see the right size to fit my mill and then a guy at work said if you can't make better T nuts yourself than shop bought you need more practice ...  :Jester:

I agree it was the clamping whole system and speed I was after  :facepalm:

Offline Ginger Nut

• Woolnwood
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 06:26:53 AM »
Ginger Nut

As you have now found out the tee slots on a Myford cross slide are not a normal standard tee slot , to make things with the same tee slots a special tee cutter is needed.

The reason for this none standard tee slot was because to put in a standard size slot would have mat the cross slide thicker hence reduced clearance for the work , so Myford when the at the old works sized up a slot that would work and give the desired clearance and this then became the Myford standard tee slot , so to cut to my point unless the tee nuts are to the Myford standard they will not fit as you have found to tall in the bottom

Quote Hemingway kits  "  Cutters designed to cut Woodruff keyways, the profile of the 505 cutter will also generate a T-slot to accept standard Myford T nuts. "  that is a standard cutter from where ever you like

Stuart

Stuart I hear you loud and clear..................maybe a  :Director: call,email through to RDG is required and let them know that where ever they are buying in the clamping kits from are not designed for Myford.

Offline Ginger Nut

• Woolnwood
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 06:30:17 AM »
Hi Ginger

Check the T-nuts with a file first before machining them; they could be hardened and do bad things to a normal HSS cutter if you're not aware of it.

Once you've machined,ground/filed off the bottom sections, use an ~8mm ball bearing and give the bottom of the threads a good whack with it to foul the threads; this will prevent studs from screwing through the nuts.  If you don't have a suitable ball, just use a cold chisel to foul the bottom threads.

Kind regards, Arnold

Arnold many thanks I can imagine the damage done tightening a stud down forcing the T-nut up and a broken T-slot  :cussing:

Offline Ginger Nut

• Woolnwood
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 06:35:47 AM »
 :cheers: Guys for all the help I did email RDG and let them know not sure what they will do for future buyers if I was in the UK I'd be on their doorstep with kits in hand squeazing for proper fitting nuts  :Lol:

I will admit they did supply everything else ordered and delivery to Outer Sydney downunder in better time than some of our local suppliers can 5 days for the second kit. :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Well onward and upward a job I can now do during winters worst as woodwork will take a back seat on lousy days. Been a top day today sunny but a nice chill wind off the snow.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 11:00:28 AM »
My dealings with RDG so far have been pretty good...even for the other side of the pond.    I got that angle plate that was "precision ground" and then found it was out about .005"....I scraped it in, but I let RDG know.    They sent a freshly ground one out to me for no charge....so they at least stand by the products.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 11:21:46 AM »
I've always found 'em good as well.
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline Ginger Nut

• Woolnwood
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 04:03:30 AM »
My dealings with RDG so far have been pretty good...even for the other side of the pond.    I got that angle plate that was "precision ground" and then found it was out about .005"....I scraped it in, but I let RDG know.    They sent a freshly ground one out to me for no charge....so they at least stand by the products.

Dave

Dave its my first dealing with them after advised b a friend who has an ML7 in the UK and another with Super 7 here in Northern Territory. The service and delivery time of both the first order and replacement was excellent its the attention to whats ordered and as I said to RDG rep Chris picking and packing staff must have a heck of a problem as there is no identification serial No on the box or size other than length of studs in inches, not even a thread or T-nut size so every box would or should have to be opened and checked to fit. This is why I believe the first kit had a T-nut missing but they obviously did not check correct fit (right way up and slide it in) but upside down the T-nut fits.

Offline Ginger Nut

• Woolnwood
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 04:11:51 AM »
I've always found 'em good as well.

Tel you'll know the feeling watching the GDP and $AU sliding down I jumped in just as the slide started with the first order I ordered a couple other things which came with the 2nd order I part paid postage they express delivered.

Tel I hope the temp out at Bathurst is not stopping you from being in the shed -2C this morning and looking just now 11C the ice wind is bad enough here off the snow. Bet you have a flurry over the next couple of days.

Offline tel

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 09:39:02 AM »
 :( been laid up with bronchitis for the last 10 days - so not much workshop at all. And the parky, miserable weather ain't helping matters.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 10:19:06 AM »
Sorry to hear that Tel!....hope you feel better!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline tel

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 11:51:26 AM »
Nothing a bullet behind the ear wouldn't cure Dave!

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2013, 12:29:26 PM »
Tel, a trip to Tennessee and some of this "clear cold medicine" and you'll be good as new. Ain't no germ can live in that proof strength. :LittleDevil: Hope ya get to feeling better.

Yo Redneck,
Eric

Offline tel

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2013, 12:33:02 PM »
That the same as Granny's Rheumatiz Medicine? Might just do the trick. :old:

Offline gmac

• British Columbia Canada
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2013, 04:58:08 PM »
....and if Eric's "clear cold medicine" doesn't work, I'll send you some Newfy Screech. It'll make the tassel on you hat stand up  :ROFL:

Cheers, hope things improve for you Tel.

Garry

Offline Ginger Nut

• Woolnwood
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2013, 07:28:49 AM »
:( been laid up with bronchitis for the last 10 days - so not much workshop at all. And the parky, miserable weather ain't helping matters.

Tel not good at all the flu I am still trying to shake after weeks but its not to bad this last week and a 1/2 I have been able to get some time out there garage door closed little fan heater going but usually just a couple of hours.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal