Author Topic: LHL-14: A horizontal long-stroke  (Read 18832 times)

Offline MuellerNick

• Germany // Outback of Munich
    • Motor-Manufaktur
Re: LHL-14: A horizontal long-stroke
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2013, 08:25:48 PM »
Is that a blasted finish Nick?
No, not blasted (nothing to cover). Pictures didn't get the nice finish (with the changing colors). They have to cut more material like this, so they should have a good sawblade for that. They have a bandsaw, AFAIK and how it looked like.

So I'm back from Austria! Was a nice weekend, with at very well caring organisator. If anyone form Germany/Austria is reading here:
Next year, visit the "Pfaffing macht Dampf"! We had a "Sonnwendfeuer" (big fire in the field at night; an old tradition when the sun has reached his highest point) and a few beer extra. Nice people, lots to talk about and see. New interesting contacts and some already asked for castings of my LHL-14! :)

Nick

Offline MuellerNick

• Motor-Manufaktur
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2013, 08:53:10 PM »
Made the rocker-arm posts and the axle. Maybe I'll add a bit of decoration to the axle's end, so it is longer than necessary.
Also prepared the missing parts for the crankshaft for cylindrical grinding. Here, they are hardened.

Nick

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2013, 04:50:51 PM »
I missed this thread, and there's some intersting stuff here. I'd love to hear about the hardening and grinding process; that's something that I haven't seen documented on MEM yet. If you done it already, how did it go?

Simon

Offline MuellerNick

• Motor-Manufaktur
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2013, 05:21:52 PM »
I have no news, as I do have other stuff to make. And then, the servo-amp of my mill broke down. I have to repair that (but I have no clue about power electronics).

But I know how to harden. :)
Material is C45 (1045). Put in the oven at 840 °C, soaked and then quenched in water. C45 doesn't get too hard, so I left out tempering (would do it at 200°C).
Parts will be ground on my Myford MG12-M cylindrical grinder (that I reconditioned from scrap).
I intend to have a plain bearing at the pushrod with a bronze bushing. So to avoid galling, the pin has to be hardened.
The crankshaft axes don't necessarily need hardening. But they grind nicer when hard.

Right before the mill went kaput, I improved the process of making helical gears that will be needed for the cam shaft drive.

Nick

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2013, 11:38:19 AM »
Looking good Nick, will look forward to the next installment.  :ThumbsUp:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal