Author Topic: Maiwald Makeover........  (Read 35295 times)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: Maiwald Makeover........
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 01:19:08 PM »

I think I should have shown this video first.

Taken after the previous one, it shows the engine puffing out oil smoke, before stopping........

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aLTNfGqcBQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aLTNfGqcBQ</a>

Total thick oil, run time was only some 2 minutes. I guess slide oil doesn't like elevated temperatures!

David D
David.
Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!
Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Offline lazylathe

• Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 01:42:16 PM »
Excellent stuff David!!!!!

You have the worlds first hit and miss Stirling! :pinkelephant:

Wonderful achievement indeed!!!
Congratulations!

Andrew

EDIT: Sorry i was checking the forum while SWMBO was shopping.
I hate typing and browsing on my iPhone....

Now it really looks like a hit and miss, with smoke as well!

Looks like it sucked the oil into the piston chamber.
At least it is running and no longer a  :no idea:

Great work, excellent modifications!! :ThumbsUp:

Andrew
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 06:44:47 PM by lazylathe »
A new place to hide my swarf!

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 12:30:46 PM »
I'm a bit late in the day here, but if ever you need a new hot end, got a quick tip, the steel case of a size C Nicad battery has an outside dia of 1.02"/26 mm, and just under 50 mm long (the total length of the battery is 50 mm).
I'd put a steel sleeve in the cylinder, and a cast iron piston.  I don't like the idea of using aluminium against any metal, although I believe anodised pistons work OK.  Ian S C
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 12:35:37 PM by Ian S C »

Offline Stilldrillin

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 10:49:04 PM »
Thanks Andrew.
When finished, I'm aiming for the hit n miss look. Using a pair of original diameter flywheels, which  I've had cast specially for me.

Thanks Ian.
I'll remember that battery tip!

I ummed an arred for a while. Then decided to make a new alloy piston, just to see if it would work....... 

Realising there was 4mm spare space below the piston, I made the new one 3mm longer.
It stopped with a clunk, at the wear ridge made by the old piston! 

So, I shortened it....... It still insisted on hitting the wear pattern! 

So, I built the crank assembly, properly, while I thought about sleeving the cylinder........

The cylinder is 10mm bore, and the bottom of the fins is around 14mm dia. So, I can only afford a sleeve with a wall thickness of1mm.

I have ordered a length of cast iron. I think I'll try a cast iron piston, too!  :)

David D
David.

Offline Dean W

• A balanced diet is a bag of M&Ms in each hand...
    • Home Shop Projects
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 11:42:03 PM »
David, there is a company called K&S that makes brass shapes for modelers.  Maybe you've heard of them. 
They make thin walled brass tubing, and the brass is drawn, so quite hard.  You might be able to use a 7/16"
or 11mm  OD tube to sleeve your cylinder, and it will only take up about 1mm of material in total.  The tubing is
.014" wall.  I've used it for cylinders on wobblers.  Might work out for you as a sleeve.  It's quite tough.

Most hobby shops I've been in here have a K&S metal display.  I know they sell world-wide.  Just a thought...
Dean
In beautiful N. Idaho, U.S.A.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 02:25:33 AM »
Thanks Andrew.
When finished, I'm aiming for the hit n miss look. Using a pair of original diameter flywheels, which  I've had cast specially for me.

Thanks Ian.
I'll remember that battery tip!

I ummed an arred for a while. Then decided to make a new alloy piston, just to see if it would work....... 

Realising there was 4mm spare space below the piston, I made the new one 3mm longer.
It stopped with a clunk, at the wear ridge made by the old piston! 

So, I shortened it....... It still insisted on hitting the wear pattern! 

So, I built the crank assembly, properly, while I thought about sleeving the cylinder........

The cylinder is 10mm bore, and the bottom of the fins is around 14mm dia. So, I can only afford a sleeve with a wall thickness of1mm.

I have ordered a length of cast iron. I think I'll try a cast iron piston, too!  :)

David D

Dave

You could step the diameter of the long piston to clear the wear ridge.. it will still displace most of the air... just not get hung up on the wear ridge...

Dave

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Stilldrillin

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 07:26:14 AM »
Dean.
Thanks for the nudge! I've just ordered a length, from CJW Steam....    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120950241466?var=420084900656&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648
Should go well, with a carbon piston.

The ci hasn't arrived yet, and hobby things are at a bit of a standstill at the moment. I'll make my mind up, on the other side.....

Thanks Dave!
I already tried that, with the alloy piston. But, it must be a really weird shape down there, with the ci piston flapping as it changed direction........

A drill out and re-sleeve, with a longer piston is the way to go, I think!  :ThumbsUp:

David D
David.

Offline Ian S C

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 03:33:52 PM »
You should be able to get the sleave down to a wall thickness(thinness) of 
1 mm, maybe thinner, it should just slide in with a bit of loctite. The cylinder of my smallest motor is 3/8" bore, cast iron, with a CI piston, skirt thickness .75 mm,crown 1.5 mm, a gudgion fork scews into the crown wit a 3 mm thread. Until I work out how I'll do it, photos can be seen on the ME & MEW web site.
   Think of the energy it took to wear the cylinder as it has!  Ian S C

Offline Dean W

• A balanced diet is a bag of M&Ms in each hand...
    • Home Shop Projects
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 10:34:40 PM »
That's the stuff, David.  With the .014" wall it will be minimal material loss for the cylinder to re-sleeve it.
I keep a number of sizes of that tubing around.  I always find uses for it.
That same company (K&S) makes tubing down to 1/16" OD, and they offer hard wall and soft in the smaller
sizes.  The soft is annealed, and is very nice for bending without kinks.  They have soft copper tube, too, along
with aluminum and SS tube (and lots of other shapes and sheets, as well as telescoping round and square).
Dean
In beautiful N. Idaho, U.S.A.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
Dean.
Thanks for the nudge! I've just ordered a length, from CJW Steam....    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120950241466?var=420084900656&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648
Should go well, with a carbon piston.

The ci hasn't arrived yet, and hobby things are at a bit of a standstill at the moment. I'll make my mind up, on the other side.....

Thanks Dave!
I already tried that, with the alloy piston. But, it must be a really weird shape down there, with the ci piston flapping as it changed direction........

A drill out and re-sleeve, with a longer piston is the way to go, I think!  :ThumbsUp:

David D

YUP  That's the right way to do it.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 01:39:47 PM »
David, I am joining this thread a bit late but admire all the work you have done thus far.  Have you considered graphite for the piston?  It would be self lubricating and thermally stable. I am surprised the oil in the power piston cylinder doesn't gum up some between runs. Just a thought.

Bill

Offline Ian S C

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2012, 02:15:55 PM »
This little one is a similar size, power piston 3/8" x 1/2" stroke.  The hot end is made from the steel case of a AA size Nicad battery.
The burner wick is 1/8" dia, made of a bundle of 22SWG iron florists wire, an idea found in vol 1 (1898) of Model Engineer. Timed it the other day, 4ml meths 35min.  The tank will hold 30 ml.    Ian S C
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 01:33:55 PM by Ian S C »

Offline Stilldrillin

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2012, 11:24:58 AM »
Hi Chaps!
So sorry for the delay.   

I've not dropped off the planet, just yet! ...... As a pal used to say. "Everything in me favour's, against me", at the moment.   

A bit of gung ho machining of a 5" flywheel, and the lathe gave a couple of gentle pops, and went into quiet mode!   :zap:

Since then, several aspects of daily life have gone wrong. And, a lot of other things haven't gone right.

It's blummin amazing, how everything comes at once!   

The Maiwald parts lie just where I left 'em. Before they were covered with multiple parts from the stripped lathe..... Which is now rebuilt, again!   

Give me a few more days..... Probably!

David D
David.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2012, 02:56:14 PM »
David

That poor lathe  it keeps telling you its tired but you wont let it rest in peace  , glad you have it sorted
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2012, 03:44:15 PM »
I got curious as to what kind of lathe you have and ended up reading the entire thread.
Don't know how I missed it. Very enjoyable.
Hope you get the lathe running again soon. Let us know what happened.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal