Author Topic: Stew's Simple Mill Engine  (Read 34032 times)

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
Stew's Simple Mill Engine
« on: June 05, 2013, 11:04:13 PM »
Hi all, finally got back into the workshop after my hol and decided on Stew's Simple Mill Engine to break me back in; hopefully gently but we will see!

Although it is simple it still breaks some new ground for me - I have never made a double acting engine yet, all of my steam engines have been single acting oscillating engines although I have in recent years done some more complex stuff like a hot air engine and a few flame gulpers which have used similar techniques to what this will.

I am trying to show this build via tapatalk on my iPhone to avoid being in the workshop then on the computer writing things up so apologies if it isn't as coherent as it should be.

It is not my intention to go into much detail of machining as Stew has done that much better than I could, I will, in the main just give simple updates on the progress I'm making.

I am not following Stew's plans religiously as will be using, where possible what materials I have to hand. Oh, also, I am going to cheat and use my milling machine!

I started off gathering materials together, then machining the flywheel for which I had an RDG 4" casting. At first the flywheel was machining well but  I then made an arbor to turn the OD and things weren't quite right. It kept slipping on the arbor ( nut was a bit small ), I eventually realised this was due to a chilled spot on the outer rim. I kept tightening the nut to stop it slipping then got that sinking feeling when it turns far too easily and snaaapp! Threaded section on arbor was no more! Feeling pretty peeved I resorted to not a good practice and gripped the flywheel by the boss with flat end of tail stock chuck o keep it straight in jaws. To my surprise this worked well and was uncannily concentric - time will tell just how concentric! It was my intention to paint the flywheel Including the rim black - I used to think it was compulsory to have a polished rim but had seen one of Stew's and Jason's flywheels and they look the part painted too. Just as well as the chilled spot on casting was quite visible despite dressing with a file. Now having problems painting the damn thing, not sure whether the paint is taking to the cast iron well as it seems to be taking a long time to dry.

Next I cut out the base plate on the mill. The alloy I'm planning to use is somewhat thin but am not too worried as it will stiffen up once I start bolting bits to it and when it's fastened to the thick wooden base. Luckily I found z bit the right length with 3 square edges so I just had to cut the 4th!

Next job was the main bearings. I didn't have any 8mm plate so had to fly cut some 12 down to size. This took longer than I thought and made a bit of a school boy error not fly cutting a long enough length! Rather than fly cut more I managed to squeeze the bearings out in different orientations but this meant I only had 1 square edge so milling them to size also took much longer than it should have!

So far I am making it hard for myself and progress is slow but an enjoying being back in the workshop!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Stew's Simple Mill Engine
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 11:15:14 PM »
Well you seem to have gotten off to a good start Nick. I am here and will follow you on you venture. Looks good so far.

Don

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 05:30:28 AM »
Good start Nick

Fly wheel looks good with the S hooks.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 07:04:34 AM »
I am trying to show this build via tapatalk on my iPhone to avoid being in the workshop then on the computer writing things up so apologies if it isn't as coherent as it should be.

So far I am making it hard for myself and progress is slow but an enjoying being back in the workshop!

Are you sure that your misses won't realise when you are writing this up that, whilst you may be sitting with her playing with your iphone, your heart is still in the workshop ? :naughty:

Nice to see you start another engine Nick :ThumbsUp:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 08:22:15 AM »
Thanks guys and Jo - she did ask what I was doing frantically typing in bed  >:D so I thought I'd better own up but then she just laughed. Well at least I won't be accused of being anti-social and sat on the computer all night despite her being in bed anyway  :noidea:

Am trying to get in by 22:30 so only giving it 2 - 2 1/2 hours a night, the first night when I was having trouble with the flywheel it was 23:55 - lost track of time and then realised I'd been running the lathe at that time in close proximity to next door - hope they couldn't hear!  :Argue:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 08:32:39 AM »
Thanks guys and Jo - she did ask what I was doing frantically typing in bed  >:D so I thought I'd better own up but then she just laughed. Well at least I won't be accused of being anti-social and sat on the computer all night despite her being in bed anyway  :noidea:

:lolb: Caught on day one  :lolb:

Maybe I should make suggestions to your wife as to how to cure this little problem before it gets out of hand :mischief:.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Damau

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 02:44:26 PM »
Looking good Nick.  I will be following along on your build.
Dale Mauney, Shelby, NC
WA4BBN (Amateur Radio Callsign)

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 03:33:10 PM »
Thanks Dale, I'm trying to keep the momentum (however slow) just so I don't bog down and get stuck in a rutt! Want to get through the project at a decent pace - for me at least!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 03:37:56 PM »
Great start on this Nick...I seem to be in one of those bogged down states myself at the moment.  I looked around briefly and found stew's drawings, but not a finished picture of this engine. Do you know of one that can be posted to see where you are headed?

Bill

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 04:41:21 PM »
Her you go

And the build log is here

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,1801.0.html

And a video of it running her

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hG9zZOqQ5o" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hG9zZOqQ5o</a> frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hG9zZOqQ5o" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hG9zZOqQ5o</a>

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 04:45:29 PM »
THanks Stew!!

Bill

I was looking in bar stock from plans rather than from own design....doh!!! :hammerbash:

fcheslop

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 05:23:28 PM »
Looking good Nick, I bought one of those flywheel castings and had one devil of a job with it as well.
cheers

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 07:52:51 PM »
Sorry, I should have put your pics on. Reminds me what I'm aiming for. I often find it hard to get motivated Bill. Thanks Frazer, not sure whether to try any more from there then, was thinking of a bigger one for a future engine.

fcheslop

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 08:54:27 PM »
Hi Nick, I know for certain I wont  :Lol: talk about blood sweat and tears :Lol:
 cheers

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 09:51:58 PM »
:Lol: that was about the same for me - literally but won't go into that!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal