Author Topic: Press and dies  (Read 2816 times)

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
Press and dies
« on: June 02, 2013, 11:17:48 PM »
One of my metal working hobbies is building shelves for gifts . This is scroll work . The shelf brackets are 1" x 1/8 flat that i need to put a 90 degree bend in . my little bender does not go this wide so I needed a better faster way to make the bend. So since I also have this H frame press I finally got around to making some down and dirty bending dies the top die is a pipe cap with a piece of 3/4 angle welded to it the bottom die is a 4 x4 x 1/8 piece of steel with two 3- 1/2 in long pieces of angle welded to it. needs some set up and tweaking but it works.

Tin

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
Re: Press and dies
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 12:14:21 AM »
Hi Tin,
 I scored some brownie points with R a couple of weeks ago. We've been in our house for 4 years & the builder didn't finish the door jam lock pockets ( hope that make sense, the hole that the latch goes into) he drilled the holes & put the plate on, job done....yeah right! So after spending 1/2 a day caving out a rectangular hole in a bit of 10 mm plate for the die, cutting bits off the sides of some 19 mm square putting some bolts thru so it all stayed lined up, adjusting things to allow for material thickness it was done. Found a bit of 0.9mm stainless marked it up, cut on the bandsaw, carefully lined up in the die & squashed up in the vice, remove the press bit file to size, push out. Looks a million buck, only took an hour to make the 15 I needed! Tried to buy plastic ones but nobody had our size, the lady in the shop commented "oh they come with the door locks, the builders don't bother putting them in"

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 02:10:03 AM »
You may be interested in this book. Oberlin Smith founded the faracute machine works, A metal press company his presses  were purchased by the like of Henry ford the US Mint and Frankfort arsenal in Philadelphia to name a few.

http://archive.org/details/pressworkingmet01smitgoog

I should read my copy LOL

Tin

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 07:57:35 AM »
Looks like an interesting book Tin- I've bookmarked it for future download
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal