Author Topic: Portable work bench  (Read 5437 times)

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
Portable work bench
« on: June 02, 2013, 01:36:36 AM »
Several years ago I had the chance to grab an old shop made table and save it from the dumpster. it has served me well. 

a couple months ago a piece of equipment came in on a special pallet the pallet was solid pine boards on top of 2x4s as soon as I saw the pallet I am thinking new portable work bench  it is a little heaver than the old one 4 inches higher and a wider longer more stable foot print.

not as large and impressive and Steve's new bench but i like it.

the size is 28 wide 64 long and 34 inches high.
Tin
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:13:27 AM by Tin Falcon »

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Portable work bench
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 01:39:29 AM »
Hi Tin

That looks like a good outdoor engine show table; most of the shows I display at are outside.

Dave

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 02:06:06 AM »
Probably would make a good show table it is a little high for the small kids . I have led a sheltered life and have only done indoor shows to date.
the other great thing about this table is virtual all the materials were free and the tools and supplies on hand.
all the lumber was packing crate the screws were salvages or leftover from another project the poly urethane was $5.00 for a quart a the habitat restore. The table legs were reused from a table my wife used when she did craft shows.  So just took a few hours to build . Had to cut 3/4 off each end of the 2xs then add the skirt front and back sanded it and coated with polyurethane still have a couple coats to go.
My son thinks I hang on to to much stuff.  But if I purchased the materials and supplies for this probably  would have cost a hundred and fifty dollars.
Tin

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 02:38:27 AM »
Nice one Tin and the price is perfect!!

Bill

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 03:14:58 AM »
Yea I liked the price also. About 10 years ago I built a couple packing crate modern design book cases.  actually pretty nice book cases but made from packing skids. the lumber was free the screws were free the Masonite backs were free . but a trip to home depot for sandpaper and finishing supplies was IIRC something like $35.00 still cheap for a couple of custom shop made solid pine book cases but it is amazing how fast a few items can add up.
I love it when i can complete a project with stock on hand.
Tin

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 05:32:53 AM »
Got one very similar to that one Tin....not as big though.....and now well covered with paint.   But it's better than my store bought portible bench!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 12:08:54 PM »
The old one is a bit paint covered I intend to hang on to the other one for paint
Tin 

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 12:02:41 AM »
I did it again . a few months ago I  salvaged another pallet at the end of vacation time i finished it . Labor day weekend i painted the legs and installed them . The finish on this one was shellac . there was just enough in the can to finish the table. I did have to make a trip to the local lumber yard for the skirt boards and on of the top boards needed to be replaces as well. But completed with mostly materials on hand.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:25:27 AM by Tin Falcon »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 12:22:22 AM »
Another nice one Tin. How does the shelac compare to the urethane finish?

Bill

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 12:36:41 AM »
IMHO the old fashioned shellac is hard to beat I tend to buy the amber so this table is a bit darker. It really brings out the rustic appearance of the wood. It seems to build a finish quicker there are only two coats on the top of this but seems enough.
As far as durability do not really know
the original table is still in great shape. the only reason iI built a second one is I had the main materials.
With reasonable care they will likely both outlast me.
The urethane is easier to produce , you do not need a good supply of beetles and it is a bit cheaper around $ 10 a quart vs 16 for shellac.

I did use spray urethane on the new engine base mostly it was what i had in the shop.

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 12:49:10 AM »
The really nice thing about shellac is that when you scrape it off, save the powder. It is reusable. I refinished a pair of mahogany doors from 1910, kept the shellac powder in exchange for the work I did.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 01:11:37 AM »
Thanks. I do like the darker finish on the new table.

Bill

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 01:24:46 AM »
Like anything else shop around for the best price. $14 a quart at home depot $24 a quart on amazon and  $8 apint on amazon  so cheaper  by the pint??

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 01:32:29 AM »
The original table lives in the garage . I pull it out to do projects and i throw it in the back of the truck while doing car projects at my sons house. it has had greasy car parts and break cleaner on it . I think one scratch in 4 years.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal