Author Topic: Building The (VDH) Versatile Dividing Head  (Read 55104 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Building The (VDH) Versatile Dividing Head
« on: May 31, 2013, 01:32:24 AM »
I decided to start a new thread here on this marvelous tool, so some can benefit for it so some of you may have already read parts of this and I will be added to it as I progress. Thanks for loking.

OK, some progress but not on the Dividing attachment. I have had an hour here and there so I decided to put my efforts toward the Versatile Dividing Head. Yea I had a casting for that and it was sitting there looking at me so here goes. In my efforts to start the VDH I managed to kind of back track myself. I first started boring the spindle bore and realized that I had to make a few parts first, so all would be done together. Meaning that when I bored the spindle bore the locking pads had to be in place when bored, and the vertical locking pads also had to be in place before borings. Anyway this all took place over multiply days so I will attempt to sort it out. I started by milling the base square to the sides and using an endmill across the base bottom and then using the face mill to give a lite skim over the base to get a smooth finish. While the base was still up and square I drilled the mounting holes. I will narrate as I post the photos for the rest.
Face milling the base after squaring.

This is where I jumped the gun so to speak. Yea a good lesson learned by no worry I have the DRO and coaxial indicator and besides the bore was not to size yet. So off to the mill to drill the vertical locking pad holes.

Yea another procedure off key here but what the heck while its on the lathe do it. So facing off one side of the VDH with my boring head.

Ok while at it lets do the other side by facing the front and turning the OD of the spigot for the banjo arm.

Now to the mill to drill and ream the 3/8" holes for the vertical cotter locking pads.

Then its drilling and reaming to 1/2" for the spindle locking pad.

Making the Vertical cotter pads and while at it the spindle locking pad.

Ok we are back to the lathe and the main spindle bore has been bored and we are now drilling the holes for the tailstock bar. This I used five different size bits to achieve a 1/2" hole. The boring head will be used next.

Using the boring head to get the tailstock bar hole to 5/8".

I quess I could have done things a little different, but I did get results and mybe not the best way. Hey! I am still learning here and this is my second casting. I have the spindle and banjo assembly to make and will continue as I have time. I am hoping this weekend to drill the Dividing plates for the Dividing Attachment, but that remains till the weekend gets here.
Thats all for now and thanks for looking in.

Don

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Building The (VDH) Versatile Dividing Head
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 01:58:32 AM »
I did get some done today, by milling and drilling the Worm spindle bracket, and started making the bearing sleeve.
I started by finding my Datum point and that was the bottom of the casting milled it flat and use it as a reference point.

In the first photo I am milling the Datum point by milling the bottom. I have the face on parallels in the vise. I had belt sanded it to get it some flat.

Then I flipped it around to mill the sides. I did insure that the datum point was at the back of the vise.

Now its time to mill the face to size 1.125" height.

After milling the face, I removed it from the vise to mark out the center. Then returned it to the vise to zero in on it, with the wiggler and drilled with multi drill bits.

Reamed it to .625 diameter.

I reclamp it into the vise on parallels and inserted a .625 shaft into the hole I just drilled. Then found my datum with the edge finder. I
also found the edge of the face then zeroed the DRO to drill the two cross holes and the small oiler hole.

The worm spindle bracket all complete.

This is where I am at so far on the bearing sleeve. It has been threaded to 5/8 x26 and cut to size. I still have to drill and ream the .375 shaft opening.

Thats it for now and thanks for looking in.

Don

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 08:30:40 PM »
Sorry Don I seem to have missed this post first time around  :facepalm2:

This is to say the least an awkward casting to machine and everything is in the accuracy of the setup. Looking forward to seeing more of this build, thanks Don :ThumbsUp:

If you want any photo's of what you are making or where you are going please ask... the VHD is magic   8)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 09:19:22 PM »
I seem to have missed your first post also.  Don, so what's the difference between this one and the other one you have already made?

Vince

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 09:39:39 PM »
Sorry Don I seem to have missed this post first time around  :facepalm2:

This is to say the least an awkward casting to machine and everything is in the accuracy of the setup. Looking forward to seeing more of this build, thanks Don :ThumbsUp:

If you want any photo's of what you are making or where you are going please ask... the VHD is magic   8)

Jo
Thanks Jo, I will keep that in mind.

I seem to have missed your first post also.  Don, so what's the difference between this one and the other one you have already made?

Hi Vince, the only difference is that instead of mounting it on the Bull gear of my lathe. I can mount it on to the cross slide. I will also have the ability to put my chucks and faceplate on to it. The other option I have is to mount it to the mill.

Don
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 09:47:06 PM by Don1966 »

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 09:42:47 PM »
That's coming along fast Don!   Looking good too!

Love to see that with a 3C collet in the center!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 09:48:06 PM »
That's coming along fast Don!   Looking good too!

Love to see that with a 3C collet in the center!

Dave

Thanks Dave, I will be able to mount my 5C chuck to it.  :whoohoo:

Don

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 09:54:53 PM »
I'm looking at this as a possible addition!....It's small enough to mount in my vise directly....That way I don't have to ship  the vise and the dividing head.    That's attractive!
My Existing BS0 dividing head, which I have BS7 collets for, has a 1 1/2 -8 spindle nose...but the register is about .035 smaller than my SB spindle...so I either have to sleeve it, or do something else.

The only thing it has over the VDH is the ability to tilt up...but I've only ever done that once!

hmmmmmmmmmm :thinking:
Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 10:01:08 PM »
I'm looking at this as a possible addition!....It's small enough to mount in my vise directly....That way I don't have to ship  the vise and the dividing head.    That's attractive!
My Existing BS0 dividing head, which I have BS7 collets for, has a 1 1/2 -8 spindle nose...but the register is about .035 smaller than my SB spindle...so I either have to sleeve it, or do something else.

The only thing it has over the VDH is the ability to tilt up...but I've only ever done that once!

Dave

Sleeving it is probably your best bet, that way you can make an adapter to except all you lathe chucks and collets.
Oh! By the way I have my risers in and my swivel base. If you would like to see them I can PM you a photo. They are very nice casting.

Don

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 10:05:44 PM »

Dave

Sleeving it is probably your best bet, that way you can make an adapter to except all you lathe chucks and collets.
Oh! By the way I have my risers in and my swivel base. If you would like to see them I can PM you a photo. They are very nice casting.

Don

Don,
How tall is the riser?.....I just need to swing my 6" 3 and 4 jaw.   I have a 3C mounted faceplate of about 5" ...that would be handy in a 3C dividing head.
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 10:29:30 PM »
Dave I don't have them handy to measure them right now, but my cross slide is 2.0625 to center height and it will allow me to just put a 5" chuck on it. So it will rise it up to 3.0625"  center height.

Don

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 03:36:41 AM »
Thanks Don!   I think my 5" chuck will mount just fine.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 02:51:25 PM »
Damn it Don!   Ya got me all lathered up now!.... ::) 8)

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 03:07:03 PM »
Damn it Don!   Ya got me all lathered up now!.... ::) 8)

Dave
Additive isn't it?

Don

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal