Author Topic: Piezo-ignition, seeking for experiences  (Read 3501 times)

Offline MuellerNick

• Germany // Outback of Munich
    • Motor-Manufaktur
Piezo-ignition, seeking for experiences
« on: May 26, 2013, 08:06:36 PM »
Hi!

Yesterday, I had just an other idea for a project. This includes, that I don't necessarily will build it. Too many ideas, too little time. You know that.

Part of that idea would be a piezo-ignition built around a piezo-crystal for a lighter. I tried to find hints, but couldn't find too much.
So, has anybody built such an ignition and would like to share his knowledge? What are the pitfalls? Will it fall apart after 5 minutes? Are there lighter brands (except DuPont) that work best?
Other part of that idea (read: brain fart) would mean that I'd have to attach a HT-cable from the piezo to the spark plug. Also, I'd like to let it run with propane/butane or similar.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!
Nick

Offline IanR

• Derby, UK
Re: Piezo-ignition, seeking for experiences
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 08:39:58 PM »
Was done recently by Jan Ridders. I think it worked, but not for long. He has a website, which may tell you more if you can find it.

Offline Noitoen

• Setúbal - Portugal
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 08:47:36 PM »
I've seen 2 types of lighter piezo. The type that gets stricken by a little hammer mechanism to light it's own gas flame and the other type that's a "gas-less" lighter for stoves that the crystal is squeezed by a lever mechanism and it delivers a sequence of little sparks while it's receiving the pressure. I would think that this second type will last longer on an engine.

Offline MuellerNick

• Motor-Manufaktur
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 09:36:40 PM »
Gents, that tip with Jan Ridders was perfect!

I found his wishdom here: http://heetgasmodelbouw.ridders.nu/Webpaginas/pagina_blokker_vonkcircuit/blokker_crcuit_frameset.htm
I think I'll go with the electronic lighter.

Thanks again,
Nick

Offline cidrontmg

• Penafiel, Portugal
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 12:26:58 AM »
There's also Maier-Mechanic, especially the piezo ignition, abt. halfway down the page.
http://maier-mechanic.com/en/technical-background/  , you might switch to German.
There are some nice engines, their kits are "out of stock", however.
You should use HT cables for the spark plug, just like electronic ignition or magneto,
and Maier-Mechanic needs propane/butane for combustible materials.

Offline MuellerNick

• Motor-Manufaktur
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 08:24:21 AM »
My research started at Maier mechanic.
His system is more sophisticated (I guess, it is also very reliable). But I also think it requires more initial tweaking to make it work.
Jan's suggestion with the electronic lighter is more elegant and more "plug & play" in my eyes. I could also use a distributor.

Nick

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal