Author Topic: Building The (UPT) Universal Pillar Tool  (Read 59154 times)

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
Re: Building The (UPT) Universal Pillar Tool
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2013, 05:07:12 AM »
You've been busy, Don.  Nice work.

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
Building The (UPT) Universal Pillar Tool
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2013, 10:50:13 AM »
Thumbs up on the alignment!

Hugh.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2013, 11:24:43 AM »
Just about the time you finish making that new pad Don, the lost one will suddenly show up. Those shop gremlins are tricky little buggers :)

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2013, 02:07:37 AM »
a late thanks Dave, Chuck Hugh and Bill.

Just about the time you finish making that new pad Don, the lost one will suddenly show up. Those shop gremlins are tricky little buggers :)

Bill
Bill would you believe that dam little gremlin put my clamping pad on top of the door edge of my bottom cabinet. When I open the door today it fell on the floor. Luckly I had not made another one yet.
Don
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 06:19:28 PM by Don1966 »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2013, 12:57:09 AM »
Had some time today and it is time to get the Pillar Tool started again, this will give me a break from the Dividing head. I started turning the tapping shaft  for the 2JT chuck. I don't have that chuck yet so I was unable to complete the turning, it should be here this week. I did make the T-
Bar for the tapping fixture and the guide bushings. I then started to make the Ball Handles and managed to make all but two. The two missing is for the Sensitive Drill attachment and that part is last to complete.
The first photo I am turning the tapping arbor for the 2JT chuck and had to put it aside till the chuck arrives.

This next photo is the T-Bar for the tapping arbor. The two handles you see are from an old plumbing fixture I change out a while back. I liked the look of them and kept them, I knew they would come in handy one day.

I also started to make the tapping arbor for the 0JT chuck and this photo is the knurled knob handle for turning and tapping.

And some photos of the finished arbor.

Starting to turn the ball handles, the dimenisions of the ball is .5625" and the small ball is .4375". The small ball I purchased from Small Parts and just drilled them to fit.

This photo shows the one ball handle together and the other with the drilled ball. I loctite the ball and handle together.

That all for today and thanks for looking in.

Don
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 01:01:00 AM by Don1966 »

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2013, 01:07:25 AM »
That looks splendid Don!....I have the dimensions for the taper if you want or need them.

It was nice to have a chuck to check the taper with though.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2013, 01:17:46 AM »
Nice work Don; good to see that you are keeping busy!

Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2013, 07:26:35 AM »
 :facepalm: Don.. You have reminded me how much I want one of these again   :ShakeHead: I was trying so hard not to..

Hemmingway will no doubt be going to the midlands show... I must try not to get them to bring along a casting set  :slap:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2013, 09:48:32 AM »
This looks great Don, think everyone could benefit from one of these!

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2013, 10:01:20 AM »
Don, it's one of the best things in the world. Make sure you do the long shaft for the table - which I haven't done yet - it makes certain things, such as staking, so much more comfortable. You're going great. Hugh.

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2013, 11:09:26 AM »
I've got a well thumbed (with grubby fingerprints) copy of the original book.  Since I've now got the two compilation books by GHT it's surplus to requirements so I'd be happy to give it to anybody who'd like it.  PM me.

Rod

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2013, 01:07:56 AM »
Thanks all for the support much appreciated.

Dave thanks for the offer buddy, I do have the chart and measurements.

Jo, I don't think you can go wrong getting one. One of the biggest reasons for getting it, is to drill and tap these small holes. I seem to break a whole Lot of taps and drill bits.

Hugh thanks for the tip buddy, I was planning to put the long shaft and do the graduations on it also.

Hi Nick, glad you looked in bud and I agree every one could benefit from it.

Dave Otto thanks for looking in and your support. I haven't seen progress on your engine lately any problem with it.?

I hope to get more progress on it this week.

Dom

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2013, 01:21:06 AM »
Hey Don

No I have just been busy; full time job, etc.etc.

I did start on the feed through holes in the cylinder for the piston trip ignitor and I not completely happy so far. I have been thinking about it over a beer in the evenings trying to decide what I want to do; I may have come to a decision. Unfortunately I have enough paying jobs to keep me busy pretty much all weekend so it may be a week or so before I get back on it.

Keep up the good work!

Dave

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2013, 02:12:10 AM »
Hey Don

No I have just been busy; full time job, etc.etc.

I did start on the feed through holes in the cylinder for the piston trip ignitor and I not completely happy so far. I have been thinking about it over a beer in the evenings trying to decide what I want to do; I may have come to a decision. Unfortunately I have enough paying jobs to keep me busy pretty much all weekend so it may be a week or so before I get back on it.

Keep up the good work!

Dave
Glad to here that Dave, it's a beautiful engine and some great work. Love to follow along with you. I do understand about work, as it loads me up too.

Don

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2013, 07:54:24 AM »
Don, Last time you convinced me to put a DRO on my Prazimat Lathe and I found it so nice that I went out and put a three channel one on my Colchester as well. And as they say what is the good of money? You either keep putting it in the bank and they start complaining  :disappointed: or you stuff it under the mattress and every time you change the bed what a mess.... the only answer must be to keep buying castings or tools  ;D.

The next time I can "bump into" Hemmingway will be at the Midlands show in eight weeks. So Don Lets say I loose all control  :ShakeHead: which ones of the kits should I be buying?

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal