Author Topic: Bandsaw Tension Gauge  (Read 10743 times)

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
Re: Bandsaw Tension Gauge
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 05:04:58 PM »
How about the "ring, ring" method?
Tap on the blade and listen to the sound...it rings when tight enough, and you can get pretty good at telling at what frequency is right for your work. Not very costly.
Actually, when you tension the blade with that big knob above, you can hear the sound and know when to stop. (Delta 14")
Mosey

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 05:11:57 PM »
Better than the scale on the Delta 14". I used the gauge to tension an 1/8" Lenox steel blade and the Delta scale is at the "correct" position for a 3/4" blade. Hmmmmm
Best,
Stan

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 05:32:19 PM »
That Delta scale is notoriously under-tensioned. :cussing:
M.

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 07:39:12 PM »
Not surprised Stan that was a point that was brought up in the article that I posted the link for.

I like the idea of what you are trying to do. it is a cheap solution. I do have a cople concerns.
1) ido not tust the accuracy of calipers to more than  +- .002  you are trying to measure  .003. I think if one is realy serious about tension you need a DI that reads in tenths. 
on the other hand some measurement is better than not at all.
tin

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 08:02:44 PM »
Tin
I get what you're saying. If this were a business and prolonging the life of the blade or cutting all day long were priorities, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Starrett or Lenox tension gauges.
In my shop, I just need to be in the ballpark. What I did find on the horizontal 5x7 and the Delta vertical 14" was that I was far under correct tension. Getting the 5x7 to something close is giving me dead straight cuts.
Best,
Stan

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 09:13:02 PM »
I understand what you are trying to do as well stan. I have always used the close counts guestimating  method. I have the  lenox style gage I should use it and I can put a tenths DI in it.
I am not the type to measure in tenths when thousands will do. Maybemy concern  is because I have worked with and been exposed to metrology . Some days +- 50 lbls is good other times I worry about a few micrograms. all in a days work.  depends on the application.
Tin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal