Author Topic: How To adjust a 4 jaw chuck ( not my idea )  (Read 3481 times)

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
How To adjust a 4 jaw chuck ( not my idea )
« on: May 06, 2013, 04:04:50 PM »
I have just seen a video by Doubleboost ( John ) on madmodders but the language maybe a bit fruity for the delicate souls here this one shows the same method ( it may be the one he refers to )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSjQfnXuhEE

it is very simple and quick with practice you could be running true in less than 30 seconds

enjoy

Stuart

Moved as requested by Stuart.  Arnold
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 04:31:06 PM by arnoldb »
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Online mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
Re: How To adjust a 4 jaw chuck ( not my idea )
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 05:36:53 PM »
This is exactly the process I outline in the writeup I've published here several times.

I never cease to marvel at how often I see pictures with the DTI applied to the top of the workpiece.  This means that the top and bottom jaw must be adjusted.  Since the bottom jaw is obstructed the workpiece must be rotated to make the jaw wrench holes accessible, thus wasting time. 
Lose the DTI and use a DI mounted horizontally, as shown in the video.

He intimates that the DI must be perpendicular to the lathe axis.  That's not true.  The DI is being used only as an indicator, not as a measurement tool.  It need not be perpendicular (or on center for that matter).

Note that his second chuck key is, as suggested in my writeup, shorter than the original key so it doesn't interfere with the machinery behind the chuck.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 06:32:30 PM »
Yes Marv I do remember your write ups thats why I titled it not my idea I am not that good but I thought that a vid my be of use to newcomers

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline BronxFigs

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 08:05:25 PM »
As a total amateur, but, with some experience, I know that using a 4-jaw can be a real PIA, and more than once, I thought twice about turning a piece of stock because I did not want to change to a 4-jaw, for 15 seconds worth of machining, and an hour to center it.  Lifting a 60 lb. 4-jaw is no fun, and struggling with the centering process even less enchanting.

Thanks for this instructive video.  I never occurred to me to use TWO chuck keys.

Frank

90% of everything is BS!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal