Author Topic: Rudy Kouhoupt Stirling Tractor  (Read 49624 times)

fcheslop

Re: Rudy Kouhoupt Stirling Tractor
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2013, 02:09:18 AM »
Thanks Dave its appreciated
Nah Eric couldn't afford the baccey marra but the mushrooms were OK :mischief:
cheers

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
Rudy Kouhoupt Stirling Tractor
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2013, 10:58:19 AM »
Frazer, I do enjoy your posts, they are always interesting, informative and the workmanship is first rate. I also like the other items of interest that pop in. So, who is your mentor (or have I missed something obvious?), and what is the copper tube plate for?

Cheers, Hugh.

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2013, 01:57:23 PM »
Hey Frazer

I aboard for this one too!

Steve

fcheslop

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2013, 07:48:43 PM »
Thanks Steve just keep me right :ThumbsUp:
Hi Hugh, I don't know the gent in the picture but he always reminds me of a grizzly old so and so I started serving my time with and but don't tell anyone a gentleman on this forum but I daren't name him for fear of litigation or reprisal and when things go wrong hes watching me.I know I need to get out more
The flange plate is for a 3inch multi tube boiler I'm building for a shop boiler initially but it will go into a future boat build. When I made my scale model of Bat I was able to draw up SL Elizabeth and came across an idea for remote starting a double acting single so the build can go ahead as I didn't want to fit a twin to her. That's a while away yet as Victoria and a couple of very simple toy steam boats are on the books as the two grandsons are becoming interested and as you can see by the plan they submitted
Nothing done today had go to work :facepalm: :facepalm:
kind regards
frazer

Offline ths

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2013, 09:33:55 PM »
It's a very detailed plan you've been sent. Looks like one of mine. Beautiful lines, though.

Hugh.

fcheslop

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2013, 07:54:51 PM »
Hi
  Not a lot done but any progress at the moment is  good thing I'm on punishment duties (D.I.Y)
The steering arms on the original drawings are simply held in by pins  with split pins to retain them and the coupling arm between the arms is a simple strap I'm not criticising the plans but that I simply didn't like the look of them it may come back and bite me in the backside we will see
I reamed the holes 3/32 and made king pins up .Then measured the distance between the arms as there is no saying my tractor will match the designers

Once the dimension was found I started hacking the arm out

The link was then cut off the stock remembering to allow for the bit that holds the cutter to the arbor :facepalm2: hence that rather nice groove in the vice oh :censored: :censored: :censored:

The forked ends formed after cutting of and using our old friends the filing buttons

A trial fit

I think that looks a little tidier and it allows for the missing steering linkages
A pic of the king pins and nuts

Im going to post this in little bits as photo muppet have lost my next batch of pics and my p.c keeps crashing
cheers

fcheslop

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2013, 08:30:19 PM »
I had wanted to make the wheels next but had no material so a start was made on the engine bed plate

The plate was then fitted to the chassis and I fitted an extra bolt not that I drilled an extra hole in the wrong place  :Jester:what me
and a lucky find at Harrogate.

The rims were bored out and machined up with a 15 thou allowance all round just as a get out of jail if things should/will go wrong

The centres roughed out and then onto the shaping machine to form the spokes
The centers were simply eye balled up for an interference fit as I don't have an internal mike big enough.I just put a slight chamfer on the edge when I didn't see it that was my fit mmmm I know rough arse engineering .

To set up for the spoke a 3/16 drill bit was used and the taper set to the vice jaws face then filled up

They turned out canny and to within 5 thou so a blind man on a galloping horse isn't going to see the difference
The rims were then heated up just enough so water bounced of and the spokes fitted guess I'm just a jammy beggar :lolb:

The hubs are next up but Im waiting for the bearings to finsh them as the swag box has let me down guess Im going to have to get a proper job again :mischief:
short break as Iv locked up again what do ya mean I should be locked up

fcheslop

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
The hubs are now glued in and the wheels will be trued up once the bearing are here

Now instead of twiddling my thumbs just thought I would slap my 3inch boiler together :Lol:
The flange plates are kept in position with a couple of 3/32 rivets they will be flushed once the boiler is together.The rivets are there to stop that horrible moment when just as the solder flows the plates move :facepalm:as tey did on my Clayton boiler

I like to form the solder into rings as it saves me from waving the stick of solder like a one handed fan dancer and getting solder every where
The big heat ready to start

Not looking so pretty now. I decided to do one end at a time normally I would just flip it over but there's nothing like a change

The other end ready to go with a bit of flux slapped onto the bushes just in case they should decide to remelt

Into the pickle

After a quick clean up the bushes are then fully tapped out using a little grease to try and catch some of the swarf

She is now ready for her hydraulic test once I beg borrow or in extreme need buy a gauge as my old one is rather dodgy now
Thanks for looking in.
cheers
frazer

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2013, 10:12:54 PM »
Those wheels are stunning Frazer, boiler looks spot on too.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2013, 10:34:11 PM »
All this, since Harrogate. Plus yer DIY penance?  :o

No wonder you've been quiet!  O:-)

Lots of nice work there Frazer, as usual.......  :ThumbsUp:

David D
David.
Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!
Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Offline ths

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2013, 10:44:43 PM »
Do I infer that the shaping machine is a completely manual affair? If so, good operator! Nice stuff, Frazer. Any work on the grandsons' boat?

Hugh.

fcheslop

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2013, 11:03:47 PM »
Thanks Nick :ThumbsUp:
Oh come on David me quite :lolb:. i only sleep about 4 hours so have to do some thing or other :lolb:
Hi Hugh, Iv bought some time on the grandsons boat build I bought him a poppop boat and a baby bath so he is one happy bunny for now
Yep the filling machine is a manual one :Lol:.In another life I was taught to use files and we had to be within 2thou without the use of a micrometer :shrug:.We had to split the marks on an engineers rule or it was the punishment duties usually crossing out wheels or the last one I did the frames for a Cathedral clock I used a gross of blades on that one
I like using hand tools and often find its a lot quicker and for me and  more accurate as I can never work out how to do tapered spokes correctly . The wheel centres from start to finish only took about an hour and for me at least it would have taken a lot longer to set up and mill them.
cheers

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2013, 12:17:40 AM »
OH Wow! You have been a busy fellow. That is some great work Frazer absolutely. All the parts look great especially the Boiler.

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2013, 01:13:50 AM »
You are doing some amazing work Frazer..Rudy would be pleased i am sure.

Bill

fcheslop

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2013, 02:22:44 AM »
Thanks Don its appreciated
Hi Bill thanks , Rudy did some nice designs and I really enjoy reading his books along side Mr Duclos .They both had a great ability to teach
cheers
frazer

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal