Author Topic: Rudy Kouhoupt Stirling Tractor  (Read 49978 times)

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
Re: Rudy Kouhoupt Stirling Tractor
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2013, 10:05:40 PM »
Frazer, you are the most welcome of posters, don't worry a bit about how it comes out.
That's a great collection of boats and engines. What diameter boiler do you use for that engine, I presume that it's double acting?

Cheers, Hugh.

fcheslop

« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2013, 11:42:29 PM »
Many thanks for the kindness it is greatly appreciated. :ThumbsUp:
I think I'm just going through a bad time  so you will have to forgive me .
Hi David, just thought Id sneak that engine build in :lolb: Theres more hidden in the bench :Lol: and the weather is cooling so theres three little boilers and boats  to build and a couple of slightly larger ones about 2 1/2 dia with ten water tubes just need to do the calcs and work out how many stays they will need
Hi Hugh, The engine is a double acting one and the boiler is 42mm dia.
No models done today just made some T nuts and started making some clamps to mount the rotary vertically so I can cut the gears but need to make a simple tailstock next.
Just not sure how to do the set up as in getting the rotary table aligned with the tailstock I'm trying to make it an easy tear down and build up sort of thing.
 Hi Stuart, I often went home with my hands burning as well and I am hearing impared so used to get the cane for not listening  :censored:
 It takes me hours to tripe a simple message
Thank you all very much .
cheers

fcheslop

« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2013, 04:48:03 PM »
Hi again,
             The gears are next to be made but I also needed to make a tailstock and some clamps and also a cutter holder.
The tailstock is only a simple lump of alloy but don't believe the height given in the spec sheet for the HV4 rotary table

The gear cutting went well for a change and thanks for the info gents its appreciated :ThumbsUp:
Don't believe the chart for using the division plates as there are errors IE 60 teeth= 1 turn and 1 hole on a 20 hole plate???

Did it all go to plan :Jester:

Thats what happens when have to leave a job half done.
The finished blanks

The centres were turned up and a bit of milling to make them look a bit better

Then the build up.

Now its play time, Im very suprised how well she pulls and will be able to pull a little trailor without any probs

One happy bunny
thanks for looking in
kind regards
frazer

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2013, 06:09:48 PM »
Frazer,
Have you had any thoughts about why a small vent removed the wobble from the main bearings?
Alan

fcheslop

« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2013, 06:16:02 PM »
Hi Allan, what eventually cured the main bearing wobble. I remade the engine base plate using 5mm alloy .This stiffened the engine up enough to stop the wobble.I think what was happening was when the engine started to compress the frame was twisting the air leak simply was stopping this from happening.
cheers

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2013, 08:32:12 PM »
Brilliant Frazer, love it! Well done. Stuart is very nice too.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #96 on: October 12, 2013, 09:14:39 PM »
Awesome Frazer, love the look and the way she runs. I need to add this one to my list to build.  :praise2:

Don

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2013, 09:27:37 PM »
Very nice, love the g clamp. Belt and braces?

Hugh.

Offline jwcnc1911

« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2013, 10:20:29 PM »
Man Frazer, that is looking good!  Really makes me want to build one!
----------
JW

fcheslop

« Reply #99 on: October 12, 2013, 11:21:25 PM »
Thank you gentlemen :ThumbsUp:
Hi Hugh, the G clamp is just temporary to hold the gears into engagement
Hi, Don and JW , come on in the waters fine :Lol:
 JW I've just seen you're message on Rene's site :ThumbsUp: so you are familiar with his work.
Still a long way to go and I am surprised how much this engine can pull.I tied a bit of 2inch dia bar about 8 inches long to the chassis and she still climbed over the pallet so she will pull a trailer  :mischief:
cheers

Offline jwcnc1911

« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2013, 11:41:52 PM »
Impressive Stirling power there!  Yes, I am a fan of René.  I have spoken with him a few times.  I love his designs too, very different.  He also wrote Heilu X a couple years back and it features two of his engines, his most common that Huib Visser made popular on YouTube and the same in Ringbom version.

I am pretty well studied on the hot air engines - it's my primary modeling interest.  I really like seeing other people showing interest as well.  Seeing your tractor build and knowing what it will pull is very exciting to me!  Great work on that!

I hope to see you build another tractor!  At least a Stirling any way!
----------
JW

fcheslop

« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2013, 12:03:59 AM »
Hi Jeremy, I am a fan of Rene's work but cannot read German and find it a little difficult at times as I'm sure there is some good additional info in his books.
Do you know where I may find some info on his HR37 I have seen a heavily moded one on U tube by Mr Visser and it does really interest me.
Like you I enjoy building hot air engines.This tractor will be the only one although Iv seen a cracking car that used a simple cone drive mech for fore/reverse and would really like to build a Stirling boat :insane:
cheers

Offline jwcnc1911

« Reply #102 on: October 13, 2013, 03:19:01 AM »
Yes Frazer, the book, Heißluftmotoren 10 has about a page of info on HR37.  Huib notes in his video that the drawings are in the book but they are not - I have the buch.  Talking to Huib actually convinced me to buy the book.  As a side note, the modeling community is full of friendly people and I rarely meet some one unwilling to exchange emails.  While the book does not have the drawings, it's worth much more than it costs.  I'd buy another one if something happened to this one.

It has the same bore/stroke (quite a few others too) as the two engines (HR25 and HR27) featured in the book.  The work piston is 12mm with 5mm stroke and the displacer is 11.9mm with just a fuzz under 5mm stroke (if you do the math on the linkage).

In my opinion, Huib's engine really looks nicer and simpler than René's engine.  I think Mr. Visser freestyled it on that build.

I have every intention to build HR27 after I finish one of my current projects.  Be sure to email me if you don't do a build log, I think the tractor is awesome and am very interested to see your next project.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 03:32:38 AM by jwcnc1911 »
----------
JW

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #103 on: October 13, 2013, 04:38:27 AM »
Way cool Frazer. Way cool.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

fcheslop

« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2013, 09:53:20 AM »
Thanks Karl :ThumbsUp:
Thanks Jeremy I just received that book yesterday but was tooo busy playing with the tractor.I can see there's a pic of HF35 in the book and just need to beg a favour to get a rough translation of the page to see  what he is saying about it. The HR27 is my next build just to get a feel for the design then HR35. I think I will definatly alter the way the test tube is fitted and use Daves idea or the do it the same way I did when I built Daves stirling.
Thanks to all
best wishes
frazer

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal