Author Topic: ME-1 Mill Engine  (Read 9517 times)

Offline Damau

Re: ME-1 Mill Engine
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2013, 04:22:04 PM »
Bill,

I do have all the holes drilled in the base.  In fact, I have the cross head guide mounted to the base.  The cross head guide, cross head, etc. will be covered in the next installment

Thanks
Dale Mauney, Shelby, NC
WA4BBN (Amateur Radio Callsign)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2013, 04:46:34 PM »
Looking forward to it  :)

Bill

Offline Damau

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 04:54:44 PM »
Don,

Thanks for your interest and comments.  I have a couple more pictures that I made during the machining of the flywheel.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, a nice feature of the Sherline rotary table is an adapter that allows removal of the chuck from the lathe and easily mounting it to the RT without removing the work piece from the chuck.

The 1st. picture shows the facing of the blank brass as I started on the flywheel and the 2nd. one shows the chuck transferred to the RT.

After the work on the RT was finished, the chuck was returned to the lathe and the hole for the crankshaft was drilled and reamed.  Another trip to the mill for drilling and tapping the set screw hole.  This time the chuck was mounted to an angle plate that also has a chuck adapter.  A picture of that operation was shown in an earlier post.

Dale Mauney, Shelby, NC

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2013, 08:08:03 PM »
Following along Dale.  Nice parts.

Vince

Offline Damau

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 08:24:03 PM »
Thanks Vince, 

I appreciate your comment and glad to add you to my audience!!!!!
Dale Mauney, Shelby, NC

Offline Damau

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 06:52:54 PM »
                                                   CROSSHEAD GUIDE

I made the crosshead guide from a piece of 1" x 1" steel that I found at a local scrap yard.  The plans call for 1.500" x .750" x .875 cold roll steel and what I had was hot rolled.  I used a fly cutter to bring it to the dimensions.

The 1st. picture shows the guide after the fly cutting was completed.

The 2nd. picture shows the .250" slot being milled in my Sieg X2 mill.

The 3rd. picture shows the guide after the .250"wide slot and .500" bearing surface was milled to a depth of .125" for the crosshead.  Only the mounting holes and guide cap holes remained.

The 4th. picture shows the guide mounted in the Sherline mill vise where I was drilling and tapping the holes for the crosshead guide caps.  It may appear that I am running the mill here but I use the drill chuck as a guide to keep the tap vertical.  This handy little tap holder works good with small taps like the 0-80 I was using.  I step off each hole position, drill the hole and without moving the XY axis, tap the hole.

The 5th. picture shows the crosshead guide completed with the guide caps in place and mounted to the base plate.  I don't have a picture of the guide caps being made.  They were made from 1/4" wide brass, stepped off and clearance drilled for the 0-80 screws.

I realize my descriptions and captions may seem elementary to many of the members here.  However, I also think there are quite a few newbees like me here also.  Actually, I am not a newbee in some respects, I am about 1/2 way into my 78th. year and I feel blessed to be here.

Dale Mauney, Shelby, NC

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
More nice progress Dale...its beginning to take shape now and looks great from what i can see.

Bill

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 07:35:58 PM »
Good going Dale  :ThumbsUp:

The screw-on spindles may have a disadvantage here and there, but they sure make life a lot easier in general  :)

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline dsquire

• Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 08:08:22 PM »
                                                   CROSSHEAD GUIDE

snip

I realize my descriptions and captions may seem elementary to many of the members here.  However, I also think there are quite a few newbees like me here also.  Actually, I am not a newbee in some respects, I am about 1/2 way into my 78th. year and I feel blessed to be here.

Dale

No appologies necessary for the descriptions. If there are too many for the more experienced then they can gloss over them. The less experienced like myself sometimes need that description to follow along.

Congratulations on working on your 78th trip around to sun.  :ThumbsUp: I'm 5 laps behind you but trying hard to catch up.  :old:  :lolb:

Cheers  :cheers:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal