Author Topic: Crosskill Demonstration Engine  (Read 105014 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Crosskill Demonstration Engine
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 05:25:49 PM »
Jo will you be adding the governor ? I know you like working with small parts :ShakeHead:

A nice wooden base would not go amiss either.

J

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 05:49:39 PM »
 :facepalm: It was only supposed to be a turning demo that produced a little engine that I thought might go well as a club trophy that could be awarded for a non Locomotive models...

Now it is going to be difficult not to get overly enthusiastic and want to correct things :hellno:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 05:58:55 PM »
Or you could save the corrections for when you make a bigger version, would be good with a 8-9" flywheel :cartwheel:

Now you have got me started :thinking:

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 06:04:26 PM »
It would be nice if you had a few coloured 3D renderings of the engine blown up to say A3 which would enable the punters to see what goes where, maybe even an exploaded view though a transparent rendering is just as good.

I think if you get a few of the basic fabrications made proir to the show then you can just give them a clean up and bring to size live.

I'm not going to have as much time as I thought that weekend unless I can get someone to let the dog out, besides someone will need to accompany you on your travels around the show site to keep your buying habbit in check.

Have you been risk assessed yet?  :LittleDevil:

J

Yup!   Jason beat me to it....if you make a few fabrications and machine them...it might flow better...otherwise there will be frequent breaks to silver solder ect.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 07:12:57 PM »
Or you could save the corrections for when you make a bigger version, would be good with a 8-9" flywheel :cartwheel:

If you scaled it up by 2 1/2 then I already have the flywheel material.  :ThumbsUp:

--
Like all scratch built engines this one is going to be based around the scrap to hand:

I have found a nice piece of 10mm thick steel that has clearly been japanned out of a larger bit at some time that will be ideal for the flywheel rim.  :ThumbsUp:

I started off looking at a piece of 2" aluminium for the base but where is the weight in that :ThumbsDown: but have found another rough old bit of 16mm thick steel that, with a piece silver soldered on the top, would be ideal as the base  :ThumbsUp:

No problem with brass for the cylinder. I could also do it out of bronze.  :headscratch:

I have a good stock of rusty old bits of steel that I could make the table out of.  ;)
---
So I have no excuses not to start, except that all of this is going to have to be prepared in between making my S&P and that includes the drawings. I have until mid July.......

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 10:44:25 AM »
I am a bit of a loss as to how this is a portable engine, it seems rather well attached :headscratch:

I might be already redesigning the base  :ShakeHead:

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 10:54:43 AM »
 :wallbang:  :wallbang: Now I have found the permanent version:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 10:55:55 AM »
Looks like you will have to make the pair now :whoohoo:

Jo the engraving I posted is on Grace's with a brief description.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 11:27:23 AM »
 :facepalm:  I thought someone was promising to try to help keep my desires for more engines/castings/tools under control.  :embarassed:

It is a short description: "Fixture or portable steam-engine. For agricultural and manufacturing purposes. Exhibited as combining simplicity with security, cheapness, and effective power. "

Jo

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
Crosskill Demonstration Engine
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 01:20:45 PM »
Nice 1 Jo, people will find this much more interesting than just doing turning exercises but not actually making anything as such.

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 02:31:26 PM »
Jo, I'd do the portable version, that way you could take it with you whilst shopping for castings.

Hgh.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2013, 04:21:40 PM »
Hugh: great idea  :cheers:

So starting with the base: I have slightly redesigned this to allow it to have more weight, this is what we are aiming for:

A donor piece of 16mm thick rust was faced and bored 30mm:

Then held by the bore and the rough outside brought to size, and I mean it was rough  ;D:

But the base is 20mm thick, so find a bit of 6.35mm plate (rust), face to give a cleam surface for the silver solder:

Wait for the hottest day of the year so far, using high temperature flux a ring of 1.5mm silversolder stuffed around the inside heat until the solder melts and appears on the outside and allow to cool for an hour:

Then turn until it is 1mm over sized in all directions, so annoying it would have hardly taken any further time to finish the thing  :wallbang:

One bit towards the demo engine done  :whoohoo:

Jo

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2013, 08:23:14 PM »
Good improvisation there.

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2013, 11:24:18 PM »
One bit down, but I was thinking that this would be made on the Cowells? Perhaps that is just for the demo day.

Hugh.

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2013, 12:11:31 AM »
Do like the cooking show folks do. Make the bits that need to be soldered during the demo, and then pull the soldered one out and say  " This is one I prepared earlier...", or "Do to the magic of television, here is the soldered bit..."

Chuck

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal