Author Topic: Revised UK Boiler Regulations  (Read 21571 times)

fcheslop

Re: Revised UK Boiler Regulations
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 10:22:23 PM »
Oh dear another loop hole closed and as already mentioned I wonder how much influence the MPBA had.

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
Revised UK Boiler Regulations
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 08:11:31 AM »
What interest might the MPBA have in the boiler issue. Are they a 'difficult' organisation?

Hugh.

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 08:56:51 PM »
Hi

Oh well it looks like I will have to play with my steam engines all alone in my shed, don't bother me much though I'm in a world of my own out there.

How long will it be before they ban videos of steam engines :lolb:

Cheers

Rich

Offline dsquire

• Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 09:25:12 PM »
Hi

Oh well it looks like I will have to play with my steam engines all alone in my shed, don't bother me much though I'm in a world of my own out there.

How long will it be before they ban videos of steam engines :lolb:

Cheers

Rich

Rich

Don't give them any ideas. They can come up with enough stupid ones on their own.

Cheers  :cheers:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline SandCam

• West Coast of Scotland UK
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 03:05:45 PM »
 :lolb: :ROFL:

hammer & bogstandard ......this SandCam member............

Back in 2005... on another WEB site we had a member ***-engineering@wargyll.fsnet.co.uk   from a funny sounding named place in Scotland......."Lochgilphead" & he wrote notes   & taught many lessons on all things steam.......   ....I am suspecting this is the same person

Lets see if he remembers me......Derek 

Well now, :LittleDevil:
It's kind of hard to FORGET a raving Aussie of DUBIOUS IRISH origin, especially one who lives in a very suspicious named place WOOLONGONG and parades around playing a cheap Fender Telecaster. :Jester: :whoohoo:

Just kidding Derek, good to see you on here.
How are things going?...and I trust the family are all keeping well.
Have you finished that DECOY yet?
or are you coming over to the DARK SIDE with a lathe etc?

I don't think you need to worry about the latest regs, they are not as bad as they first appear.

For the rest of you guy's... the reference to the MPBA, perhaps, having some influence stems from the fact that they ALWAYS disregarded the general engineering codes and insisted on using there own, which was much more severe.
They Never adopted the BAR/LITRE rules and insisted ALL boilers (used in public, on any of their waters) had to be Hydro tested every 2 years and Steam tested every 1 year.
NO-EXCEPTIONS.
This latest code appears to have gone part way towards the MPBA (Draconian) methods, albeit not quite as far.

The MPBA are still using their own code.

I doubt they have had any influence over the new code, since they were never party to it, or the previous editions, in the first place, and are still not, so I am sure they will continue to go their own way regardless.
It does make things far more complicated for model builders here in the UK, especially those that build model steam boats and who's local club is affiliated to the MPBA, since they would then be subject to the MPBA rules when it became time for boiler testing.

The MPBA argue that it is a criteria of their insurance which dictates their rules... this stance is a little odd though... since their insurer is one of those listed as being PARTY to the new rules as posted.

Or is this a case of insurers applying DOUBLE STANDARDS?...

All very frustrating for everyone concerned.

Best regards.

SandCam.(aka, SandyC or AlexC):cheers: :LittleAngel:

Offline Heffalump

• Oxfordshire, England
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 04:26:22 PM »
I really don't like thread necro's but I figured as this was still on page 1 there was no point starting a new thread!

Can I just get some confirmation - If I want to make a small boiler to power my model engine, am I expected to have it inspected and then buy insurance?

fcheslop

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 05:06:24 PM »
I believe that is the case.

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 05:24:20 PM »

Can I just get some confirmation - If I want to make a small boiler to power my model engine, am I expected to have it inspected and then buy insurance?

I really don't think so in the UK.  You can do what you will in the privacy of your own home.  However, if you wish to run your model at a show, exhibition or a club track/ lake then the organisers will need to be assured that your boiler is safe and fit for purpose.  The organisers will have an insurance policy to cover mishaps and the insurers will have agreed a boiler inspection regime with the governing body covering your particular branch of the hobby.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Rod

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 06:58:11 PM »
How small is small? My club started testing the boilers on the spirit/gas fired G1 loco's and after an initial grumbling all involved are actually pleased that it is done. And I have my coal fired G1 boilers tested.

Personally I would always test a boiler even if I was only using at home for the safety of my nearest and dearest. Public use means approved boiler inspections and insurance. If you are a member of a club then you will get free boiler inspections and their insurance will cover you at their events  ;).

If you take out your own insurance it will also cover against theft

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

fcheslop

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 09:33:45 PM »
Personally,I try and build to the code and test annually and scrap them at ten years old. Most of my boilers are small and of the simple pot type so theres no great expense involved in replacing them.
A thing to remember even our dearest and nearest maybe swayed by a large pay out if an accident should happen and they became injured due to some incompetence on the builders part be that design,manufacture or maintenance .
I think it can become an rather emotive subject and some feel that the code is a thing to got round instead of a thing to be embraced.
An argument often put forward is that our small model boiler are low pressure and can do little harm hmmmmmmmm
Have a look at whats left of a coffe machine that runs at 1.2bar after a material failure
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-1311946%2FSainsburys-coffee-explosion-injures-7-caf.html&ei=OSMiU-LrNYiIhQeT4YDQCA&usg=AFQjCNEs6C1Qpu21GR6_B49TXlbuEOkCMQ&sig2=V2q74OpdVHVl926IO181ig&bvm=bv.62922401,d.ZG4
Iv posted this before and been accused of scare mongering .

Its youre decision
cheers

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 09:35:40 PM »
and scrap them

:o Gasp. Surely retirement is a better option.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline K.B.C

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 10:27:51 PM »
Personally,I try and build to the code and test annually and scrap them at ten years old. Most of my boilers are small and of the simple pot type so theres no great expense involved in replacing them.
A thing to remember even our dearest and nearest maybe swayed by a large pay out if an accident should happen and they became injured due to some incompetence on the builders part be that design,manufacture or maintenance .
I think it can become an rather emotive subject and some feel that the code is a thing to got round instead of a thing to be embraced.
An argument often put forward is that our small model boiler are low pressure and can do little harm hmmmmmmmm
Have a look at whats left of a coffe machine that runs at 1.2bar after a material failure
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-1311946%2FSainsburys-coffee-explosion-injures-7-caf.html&ei=OSMiU-LrNYiIhQeT4YDQCA&usg=AFQjCNEs6C1Qpu21GR6_B49TXlbuEOkCMQ&sig2=V2q74OpdVHVl926IO181ig&bvm=bv.62922401,d.ZG4
Iv posted this before and been accused of scare mongering .

Its your decision
cheers

It looks like a piece of modern art, last seen in the Tate Gallery with a 1mil price tag !!!!

Pressure vessels are not to be trifled with but treated with due respect, hence we have the boiler regs in place for operating steam boilers in club or public places to comply with a clubs public liability.

Frazer, thanks for the reminder.

George.
Your never too old to learn.

fcheslop

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2014, 10:28:01 PM »
Sorry Zee , they are put to the hammer :ThumbsUp: so that they can never end up on flea bay.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:37:02 PM by fcheslop »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal