Supporting > Boilers

Revised UK Boiler Regulations

(1/6) > >>

SandCam:
Hi All,

For those of you that may not be aware... there has been a new set of boiler regulations applicable for UK members.

These became effective on 1st January 2013 and the main point which will affect you will be that there is no longer any EXEMPTION for boiler of 3Bar-Litre or under.

In effect, it now means ALL boilers require both a pressure test certificate and a steam test certificate to be eligible for insurance and use in a public place.

I attach a copy of the new regulations for those that require them.

Sorry for the BAD NEWS... but I don't make the rules. :shrug:

Best regards.

Sandy. :cheers:

Edit... these new rules are freely available for download on the Internet so there is no copyright issue here.

Bogstandard:
Many thanks for the info Sandy. I suppose the Victorian minded MPBA had something to do with it.

A lot of people will now be put off running small live steam engines.

This does affect people in the UK rather seriously.

A public place can even mean your own workshop or garden. If it is only you that is in the shop or any other place, then fine, but if anyone else is in there with you when you run up your boiler, you MUST have all the regulations and insurance in place.
Most local councils now require at least £5,000,000 insurance cover for live steam.

At least we had a fair few years before elfin safety got on the bandwagon (again).

John

Bluechip:
Does this bit of nonsense cover pressure cookers too??  ::)

'Cos mine is somewhat over that limit.

Ah well! I could always slink off to B&Q, buy an aspidistra to live in it ...  :thinking:

Dave BC

Bogstandard:
Dave,

You wouldn't believe the amount of idiots who try to run a steam engine off a pressure cooker. I think a few of them have had their heads in the cooker, while it has been steamin'.

John

Lofty76:
Please see section 14 re the testing of small boilers:

14.1 For the purposes of this Test Code ‘small boilers’ are defined as
those with a pressure-volume product below 3 bar litres.
Examination and test of this type of boiler is applicable if the boiler
is fitted with (as a minimum requirement) a safety valve and a
pressure gauge. The boiler may also be fitted with a water level
gauge and a mechanical method of pumping water in to the boiler
whilst under working pressure. If no means of supplying water to
the boiler whilst working is present the fuel supply shall be so
arranged that it is used up before the water is completely used.

Re pressure cookers, most have a maximum operating pressure of 15 psi (103KPa) and hold considerably less than 3 litres of water even with say a 6 litre capacity, (just checked our Prestige and its rated at 83 KPa and 6 Litre capacity - do NOT add more than 50% water).

So if operated in accordance with manufacturers instructions would NOT require a pressure test.

Lofty

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version