Help! > Machines, Tools and Fixtures

Small Boring Head

<< < (16/16)

gmac:
Rookie question;

Where are these smaller boring heads used to advantage and how often do you encounter needing to use them in the build of small IC engines (less than 1" bores)? When I started I picked up this 2" on sale;

http://www.busybeetools.com/products/BORING-HEAD-2IN.-WITH-R8-SHANK-ARBOR.html

I like the look of crankshafter's scaled down version of Ishimura-san's small boring head and may add that to the project tooling list.

I'm assuming it's more useful in cases where radial space is limited or working on smaller diameters and/or softer materials? I'd assumed that the 2" was small/big enough and would handle small diameter bores equally well. Were did I go wrong  :thinking:

Educate me please!!!  .... and thanks for this post.

Cheers  Garry

screwdriver:
Great Dave thanks.  8)

Obvious now I can see it.  I'll go away and make one to suit my requirements. Might even post if it works out.

Thanks again, Brad

--- Quote from: gmac on November 04, 2013, 05:55:19 PM ---Where are these smaller boring heads used to advantage and how often do you encounter needing to use them in the build of small IC engines (less than 1" bores)

--- End quote ---
Don't know much about model IC engines, but boring the real thing is essentially the same, everything scales. Imagine setting up a 1/2" bore V 8 model in a lathe! Much quicker, easier and more precise on a mill equipped for boring. 

I suppose the fundamental reason for a small head is small machines. In my case I'm jig boring in which we want bores at precise relative positions.

steamer:
The difference is in the size of the boring bars ...which is a function of the whole size....the two large boring heads are for the Clausing.   The small 30mm one is for my small Aciera F1....which with a the stubby shank gives me plenty of head room.   I didn't want to turn the shank down on the middle one to fit the smallest F1 collet, so I just got the 30mm one.   Anyway....small to large holes on a small and really small mill.....Hence the need for 3.

Dave

Jo:
 :-[ I keep promising to provide a photo of my smallest boring head. This is it.

It goes on the Cowells and is less than 1" tall and will bore out to 1 3/4"  ;)

Jo

gmac:
Thanks to Brad and Dave !

Cheers Garry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version