Author Topic: Potty Lads and Dads Mill Engine  (Read 42328 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Potty Lads and Dads Mill Engine
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2013, 01:55:00 AM »
Thats going to be running soon Stew!....looks great!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2013, 09:56:01 AM »
Thanks for all your interest Chaps.

My offering this morning are just a few of the fiddly bits that need doing.

Drill and tapped the eccentric for a M3 grub screw

As I drew the engine up I relised that there was no provision for setting the valve event, I scratched my head on this one for some time then I had a look through the pic I took of the origonal engine to see how they did it.

So decided it would be best to try and copy this arangement.

This require some 3mm dia cross holes drilled. The parts are made from 6mm dia stainless first off I drill and parted off a thick washer with a 3mm hole, I then used this to locate for the cross holes.

It was just a mater then of turning up the parts.

This is how the orangement looks on the model, that cap screw gets in the way so I'm going to replace it with a grub screw.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it hase enough movement to activate the valve.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2013, 06:13:04 PM »
I'm waiting on some steel tube to make the fly wheel so decided to get on and finish the bed plate off, I carfully marked the position for the crank bearing and drill them out 2.7mm clearance on M2.5. The bit of ally I made the bed plate from was 3" wide I wanted 2" but that was all I could get so had to cut it down, using a hack saw and a guide plate, so that things didn't wander off.

Then filed the cut off level, noting too fussy just as long as it doesn't offend the eye.

The drill 4 corner holes and filed some fancy rads on the corners.

Assembled the engine back to the bed plate, and fixed a carrier to the crank shaft to try and turn it over, turned over ok, but the valve rod thing fouled, did a bit of adjustment, phew ther's enough clearnace for it travel its full movement, I roughly set the valve and spent 1/2" turning it over by hand it nows turn over nice and free.

Can't wait for that steel to arrive.

Decided to make the base, these sort of engine often stood on stone plyths, so got hold of some chip board, cut two bits off to size and rounded the edge, then cut and filed some nicks along the edge to simulate the stone courses.

This is what it looks like.

I'll give it some licks of paint I'm hoping that it will keep its rough texture to look like stone. I aplied some wood glu and clamp them together, I'll see what they are like tomorrow.

Stew

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2013, 06:59:42 PM »
Stew, the stonework looks good from what i see and just the right scale too. Will be interesting to see how it finishes up.

Bill

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
Potty Lads and Dads Mill Engine
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2013, 07:56:42 PM »
Yeah love that idea Stew, looks spot on!

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
Potty Lads and Dads Mill Engine
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2013, 11:30:11 PM »
The stonework is a great idea, will you be painting in mortar as well? Very nice engine,Stew.

Cheers, Hugh.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2013, 01:07:44 AM »
I like that stonework.
Some people use ceiling tile...but I think more for 'natural' stone like bluffs and cliffs.
And ceiling tile is a bit soft.
I hadn't thought about chip board.

This is one of the things I like about this hobby. It's not necessarily just about metal...lots of different hobby interests can be satisfied.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2013, 06:16:56 AM »
Thanks for looking in Bill/Nick/Hugh/Zee

The stonework is a great idea, will you be painting in mortar as well? Very nice engine,Stew.

Cheers, Hugh.

Hugh:- this is very much a learning curve for me I thought I would felt tip in the mortar line, then I'm planning on buying some sample pots of emultion paint, and water it down some, and then with a stiff brush stencil the paint over the bricks with a bit of luck the mortoar line will show through as well as the texture of the wood chip, I may then give it a coat of mat varnish, i have some test peices i will try it out on first.

Stew

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2013, 11:52:11 AM »
I like that base Stew!    :ThumbsUp:

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2013, 10:02:55 AM »
Cheers Dave

Still waiting on some material to finish this engine off, in the mean time visited our local hobby craft shop and they were having a bit of a clearance and picked this stuff up to have a try at staining the wood chip

Its water based wood stain and some felt tip pens, after a bit of a play I found that the tips were next to usless dried out that is why they were cheep, so instead I had some white emulsion paint that I added some of the wood stain to and added that with a thin paint brush to show up the cement bonding, I aint no Rembrant when it comes too paint. I then sealed it off with the PVA watered down a bit.

I don't think it looks too bad.

Now where is that post man

Stew

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2013, 11:32:54 AM »
Looks good from here Stew. Seems like you had a nice afternoon with this. Hope your other materials will arrive soon.

Bill

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2013, 01:02:01 PM »
Good stuff Stew, they look like real stones - am going to try it on next engine!

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2013, 01:33:39 PM »
Bravo, Stew. That faux brick work appears like the real deal (of course that was the whole point). Terrific job of selecting and applying the paints and finishes. You 'gots it' looking right. I will have to try to remember this trick for future reference. Thanks .... now then, where IS that postman, doesn't he know he is holding up the show here? :thinking: :rant:

BC1
JIm

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2013, 12:51:39 PM »
Cheers  :D

Well the posti dropped off the material for the fly wheel.  :ddb:

So first job was to cut off a 1" slice from the tube its 100 od with a 4mm wall.

Then face to length 3/4"

Skim up the OD

Then clock up the OD in independent four jaw chuck because the tube is relatively thin and it distorts some what with the internal stresses it a bit like trying to clock up a bit of jelly, just get it as good as you can as long as it doesn't offend the eye.

And skim up the bore.

And turn a step for the hub to but up against.

Next up the hub this is made from a chuck of 1/4 ms plate 100mm square. first mark up the centre and draw a circle 100mm dia and trim off the corners with a hack saw.

The drill and 1/2" hole in the middle

And mount it on an 1/2" mandrell and turn up the OD for a nice push fit into the rim.

On the original Bolton museum engine the fly wheel doesn't have spokes just 4 holes I don't know if this is the original fly wheel or one the Bolton lads have knocked up. So drill 4*22mm dia hole in it.

Turn up the inner hub a nice tight fit it the outer bit.

And stick the lot together with high strength Loctite.

Its doing its curing thing now until tomorrow when I will finish it off, I have a few domestic duties to do this afternoon.  :(

Stew

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2013, 01:08:25 PM »
Nice Stew!!  Happy your materials arrived.  It shouldn't be long now until you give it a try and I'm looking forward to that!!

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal