Author Topic: materials  (Read 4649 times)

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
materials
« on: July 22, 2012, 08:41:46 AM »
I am thinking of building a beam engine designed by Patrick J Verner. He uses brass a lot and I was wondering if I can substitute steel or aluminium for the brass as I have easy access to that but not brass. Living outside of Adelaide makes it hard to get stuff as I mostly purchase online (only real option).Can I use aluminium for a cylinder and brass or steel for the piston?
Also has anyone have this plans as well as I seem to be missing a couple pages and the size they should be printed at? The website is no longer around so that avenue is out plus I downloaded it several computer upgrades ago so the downloaded plans I can't find though I have a couple HDDs to put in a caddy and check out.
thanks in advance
Pete (not not so ...hopeless  ;D)
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
Re: materials
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 09:58:08 AM »
Hi Pete

If you look at the beam engine I built (In the showcase section) you will see I used an aluminium brake cylinder for the cylinder with a brass piston. I don't know what bore size you need but the cylinder I used is about 0.7". The bore is nicely machined and honed to a better finish than I could get. The engine runs well on steam and air. If it will help I could dig out some photos of the cylinder construction.

Cheers

Rich

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 10:00:34 AM »
Hi Pete

There shouldn't be any problem whatsoever substituting steel or ali for the brass components.
An aluminium cylinder with brass piston will work a treat; I have a handful of engines  working that way.

Unfortunately I can't help with the plans mate.

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline Pete49

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 02:20:43 PM »
thanks for the replies guys I was hoping I could  ;D. Its bore is .750 and I will probably run it on air to begin with as I've not build a boiler yet and not sure if I want to for now
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Dave G

• Ohio
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 02:47:53 PM »
I see no reason why you couldn't substitute materials. Be aware of the wear points in the design, maybe a bronze bushing in al. instead of all  brass construction. Also a good source of cylinder material is compressed air cylinders. They are normally polished in the bore and can be found in scrap yards. Be careful when cutting to length, don't distort the roundness. Looking forward to your build, Dave

Offline Pete49

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 04:20:25 AM »
Thanks for the pointers Dave. I had decided to make brass bushes/bearings in the high wear areas for that reason. Posting some pictures as soon as I get a chance.
Pete

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal