Author Topic: Giving it the finger!  (Read 17102 times)

Offline divided he ad

Giving it the finger!
« on: April 12, 2013, 01:15:47 AM »
Well, the finger engine anywho  :)

This is a mirrored post I've written up on another forum, sorry if you're seeing it twice. Just thought it was about time I put something on here!  :)

Wasn't sure where to put this as it's using someone's measurements and my mind to create it..... If it needs moving I'm sure the powers that be will sort it?  :ThumbsUp:

Got a little bored over the Easter break. So thought I'd tidy up the workshop a bit.... That lead me to find a little plan for the NAMES finger engine I've had in a draw for 4 or so years!

Never made it, thought that it looked like a little fun "weekend" project so.....Stuff the tidy up!  :)

Here is where I'm upto after 16 ish hours.... I just can't follow a plan    :insane:

Warning, this gets artsy fartsy   :Lol:

Started with this... Converted to metric and rough materials cut.

Then start to put the holes in all the right places. First the upright.

A little shaping with the ball turner.

Polished up a little and the micro ball bearings pressed in.

The treadle.

Put the holes in the correct places...

And make it a shape you like the look of.

I used a carbide burr for this bit... Reason being the endmills seem to be a little too grabby in my experience...
You can't let go of this, else there will be a big bang and a few tears!!!   :bugeye:

Then the conrod.

Similar use of a burr, 1/8th one this time.... Bends a bit,  very small cuts are ok though..

Then make a wooden erm,,, fixture!?

And shape the rod a little..

The cam,

A little narrow!

Think that'll do for now,

There are quite a few more pic's but they're mostly just different angles etc.... Figure you've probably had quite enough pic's in this post by now 

I'll hopefully get a little time on the "dreaded flywheel" this weekend?

Dunno why I think cutting these flywheels is so damn tough... Maybe it's because I have to stick to the plan   :headscratch:   :Lol:

Possibly more over the weekend?

Ralph.

Offline Walsheng

• Norfolk, MA
    • Walsh Engineering
Re: Giving it the finger!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 01:34:59 AM »
I'm liking it Ralph.  I will be following.  This is something I think I would like to build.
Keep the pictures coming, can't have too many.

John

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 01:43:53 AM »
Looks great so far...I like the creative touches too!!

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 04:03:28 AM »
Nice touch Ralph, I do like the added touch to the column. I will be following with interest.

Don

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 07:14:05 AM »
Good start, looking forward to seeing more of this little engine  8)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline divided he ad

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 07:37:02 AM »
Thanks folks  ;D

Glad you like it so far, I will do my best to get it finished reasonably quickly.

Might need some of this  :stickpoke:   :slap:   I have a little engine in a draw that is now pushing it's 3rd birthday and is still not finished!

Sometimes inspiration avoids me and I just can't come up with anything I like! As soon as the flywheel starts to talk to me I'm going to get going.... Probably make the base first while I think about it?  :)

Ralph.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 08:26:28 AM »
  I have a little engine in a draw that is now pushing it's 3rd birthday and is still not finished!

Hey , I completed the first part of my R&B in December 1996. Hopefully this weekend it might have an ignition system fitted  ;D then all that remains is to get it running.

:noidea: No I think there may still be a couple more bits and pieces  :shrug:

Jo

Bogstandard

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 10:14:49 AM »
Sure it wasn't your visit on to me on Sunday that shamed you into making a post on here, you must know you have been a member on here since it almost first started, maybe you were getting a little guilty.

BTW, why not show them that fantastic little torch you showed me when you called, and don't keep such wonderful little things such a secret.

Another BTW, just to the other members who haven't come across Ralph before, he is a master at using a ball turner for decorative effects.

John

Offline Walsheng

• Norfolk, MA
    • Walsh Engineering
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 12:53:45 PM »
Thanks folks  ;D

Might need some of this  :stickpoke:   :slap:   I have a little engine in a draw that is now pushing it's 3rd birthday and is still not finished!

Ralph.

I am almost finished with a Stuart No 9 I acquired 30+ years ago!! I see no need to rush anything (obviously.) ;)

John

Offline Deko

• Crewe, Cheshire, UK
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 06:42:06 PM »
Hi Ralph,
             I recon that when you read my reply to your post of this item, over on MM, I will be off your visiting list

forever. :paranoia:   Grand job. as usual. :ThumbsUp:

Cheers Dek. :old:

Offline divided he ad

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 07:52:41 AM »
 :Lol:  1996!!!   30+ years!!!  Wow! Some people really aren't in a rush are they?   :o 
 Well, good luck on the finishing stages both.... I look forward to seeing them..... In a few years time  :cheers:

Sure it wasn't your visit on to me on Sunday that shamed you into making a post on here,
Erm.... Yep.

you must know you have been a member on here since it almost first started, maybe you were getting a little guilty.
And yep again  :facepalm2:

Little torch ain't an engine! Figured the site was for engines and tooling  :headscratch:  You tell me where to stick it and I'll give it a go!  :lolb:

Another BTW, just to the other members who haven't come across Ralph before, he is a master at using a ball turner for decorative effects.

Well, I do my best  :embarassed:

Dek.... There will be words to be had about this flywheel!!   :slap:

Fancy laying down a challenge like that  :facepalm:   Now I'm going to have to give it some thought  :noidea: :zap:

Maybe make another cause I will need to bore the main upright and cross drill to get the positive wire through.... Ahh well, another on the list  ::)

(gonna need more bearings!)

More later...

Got to get ready for work now :(

Ralph.

Offline Deko

• Crewe, Cheshire, UK
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 09:48:39 AM »
Plenty more bearings where they came from Ralph, so you can't use that as an excuse.  :toilet_claw:

Where to stick it !!!!!!  ODDBALL of course, where all my stuff is.  :naughty:

Cheers Dek. :old:  < spot on eh?

Offline divided he ad

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 07:30:07 PM »
Odd ball eh? I'll take a look later.

I've yet to get the full gist of the site... But if you  :old:  guys can do it I should be fine  :Lol:

Spot on indeed  :ROFL:

They need one on a mobility scooter now  :)

Right, tea first. Then see if Inspiration can give me a big whack upside the bonce  :slap:..... Need to get a flywheel sorted  ;D

Ralph.

Bogstandard

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 07:41:43 PM »
Now then Ralph, you should know that I hardly use mine now.  :stickpoke::hammerbash:  :cartwheel: :cartwheel:

ODDBALL area

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/board,25.0.html

For those little items that are not covered by our general headings and gives a place for members to show off their other crafts.

John

Offline divided he ad

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 12:47:24 AM »
I was thinking of a smiley for Dek John... I know you've become rather spritely  :cartwheel:

I'll get to the oddball bit soon enough, been a little busy today  ;D

Speaking of which....

I was trying to think of a design for my flywheel and stumbled on the design for the base instead  :Lol:  Just the way the mind works!

So, I was gifted a few stainless circles by this guy  :old:  last time I visited  :ThumbsUp:

I was thinking of using a 6mm thick disc but the lever would stick out and that just wouldn't do. So I selected one of the larger 3mm thick discs that would allow the lever to lie within the diameter  :)

I mounted it on an arbour and cleaned it up using emery and a little polish... This stuff is tough!! No pic's cause it was quick and basic (and I forgot!)

I decided to have another go at engine turning, last time I tried was on my MkII finger engine. It was ok but some swirls dragged a bit.

Anyway, enough talk more pic's eh  8)

I used the rotary table to hold the disc on an arbour and used 30' for the inner circle and 10' for the outer. I had to go over them twice to get the full circle cause the stainless is so hard. Took a while but I like the result  :)

Then I needed a cover for the bit left in the centre where the washer was. I used an old little brass flywheel blank from the bits draw.
I drilled it to allow the M10 thread to pass through. Then turned a spigot to locate it in the base disc.

Then turned it around and bored the recess for the column to fit into.

I needed a way to hold this for shaping so I turned the hex off a M10 bolt and cut a slot in it so I could tighten it.

Then began shaping the part.

Then I added the fancy bit to it  ;D

So this is where I ended up at about 10PM

At some point I'm going to sort the flywheel out.... At least I have an idea to try to make now  :ThumbsUp:

More as soon as I can.

Ralph.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 01:55:07 AM »
I really like the engine turning there Ralph!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 02:02:32 AM »
That looks right awesome. Can't wait to see more.
That's going to go well with the upright.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Deko

• Crewe, Cheshire, UK
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 08:11:28 AM »
I have got one of those discs about 20" dia.  Just think of the engine turning you could do on that. :whoohoo:

You could make a fist engine on that ( big finger engine ? ) :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Cheers Dek. :old:

Bogstandard

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 08:56:06 AM »
That's the problem when trying to engine turn a disk Ralph, every step out requires an angle change, which means of course you get more on the outside than in the middle, unless you change the size as you step out.

Your method is about the only decent one for getting an effect that is any good. Any more, and the effect looks abysmal.

Nice one.

Bling is back on the menu boys  :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant: :cartwheel: :cartwheel: :cartwheel:

And if you want to see a professional at work, try this site. He was very forthcoming with information when I contacted him a few years back.

http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~eamonn/et/et.htm

Go to the bottom of the page and be amazed at some of the work being done.

John

Offline divided he ad

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 10:45:28 AM »
Thanks Guys  ;D

Glad you like it, turned out quite nice IMHO.

That's going to go well with the upright.
  It does.... But I'm not going to let you see the mock up  :naughty: 

You could make a fist engine on that ( big finger engine ? ) :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Right Dek, there you go.... Once the clock is finished I'm going to  :stickpoke: till you build it  :ROFL:   Honestly, I know you can do it  :cheers:

John, Remember all the comments about the first time I tried this?

Less is more - you should have stopped after the first circle.... Etc. All I can say is lesson learned  :ThumbsUp:

I made 2 minor errors, But I'll live with them cause even though I know they are there it took me a couple of goes to find them  ;)

That site is brilliant.... How do you ET curves???  :o

Just wish he made instructional videos!

Right, off to see about this flywheel  :thinking:

Ralph.

Offline Deko

• Crewe, Cheshire, UK
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 11:10:52 PM »
OK Ralph, I give in :ShakeHead: no more challenges.  :NotWorthy: :NotWorthy: :NotWorthy:

Cheers Dek. very> :old:

Offline divided he ad

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 12:47:37 AM »
OK Ralph, I give in :ShakeHead: no more challenges.  :NotWorthy: :NotWorthy: :NotWorthy:

Cheers Dek. very> :old:
:lolb:

I still think you're onto something :ThumbsUp:  We could join forces and build a fist engine!  ;D  (might have to work in the project title though!?  :thinking: 

All my plans for today were totally scuppered!  Got no workshop time at all  :facepalm: 

phone calls and being called into work didn't help my planned quest... Maybe get some time tomorrow evening?

Ralph.

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 10:44:38 AM »
Looks great that Ralph, just got around to looking at it on the computer as your images don't come up on tapatalk!   :shrug:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 11:41:30 AM »
That is some amazing work Ralph!!  The engine turning adds a lot...beautiful touch!!!

Bill
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 06:48:34 PM by b.lindsey »

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 03:12:17 PM »
Same story as Nick for me. That is looking great!

Hugh.

Offline divided he ad

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2013, 10:39:45 AM »
Thanks guys,

Glad you like it... Pretty happy with the current progress.

I'll get some more time in the workshop this week most likely.... Got all the fiddly bits to make. M2 threads etc (There should be a smiley with a magnifying glass  :)  )
I've been really busy with the car club over the last few days..... Santa Pod  :whoohoo:   

What's "tapatalk"?  :headscratch:

Ralph.

Offline divided he ad

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2013, 01:21:38 AM »
Evening folks,

I've been able to get a few hours together and pretty much finish this project... I know, in less than a year! (Some people will know I have a few unfinished projects   :facepalm2: )

So, I left this waiting for a flywheel, a base and some little fixings.

Here are a few pic's of what I came up with....

First cut a 3"x1.5"  ali round into two... By hand!  :censored: Wouldn't clamp in my chop saw.  Finished them both off then started work on the 3/4" thick piece.

Now, the idea was to use the mill and rotary table to remove the material from the centre of the flywheel before cutting spokes into it... Problem with that was.... I liked the pattern the machining left behind :)  (Doubt John/Bogs will not be happy with me sidestepping the spokes once again!?  :slap: )

I had to make quite a few little arbours and work holding bits for this as there were a lot of fiddly bits to make...

The Base is in 3 parts. The stainless ET platform and collar for the upright you have seen already. But it needed a thicker part underneath the stainless for the upright to screw into... Wood seemed a good option for this.

I only had one piece of wood big enough for the job. A bit soft but workable (dunno what it is?) 

Cut into a rough shape and then a centre hole drilled and mounted on the RT on the mill... and hacked into a shape to work with.

Taking shape... The little hub in the centre was removed after all the shaping and sanding was complete... carefully by hand with a razor sharp chisel.

I then helicoiled the centre hole to accept a M10x1.5 thread.

Mounted it on the lathe and sanded it down, scorched it a little with a blow torch and then waxed it.... Placed the other parts on and... One completed base.

Then add the assembled "engine"

I had a play with some artsi fartsi shots too...

Using 2 GID blobs charged up to do the light painting (10 second delay in the pitch black except for the GID bits)

Then I started waving around the laser I used to charge the GID bits up!  8)

Anyway.... I suppose I'd best show this too "And Action!"  :Director:   

You click on the pic and it plays in a new window... Don't know if Photobucket can have a player like youtube?

Well, time for bed... work in 5 hours  :disappointed:

Ralph. 

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2013, 06:05:16 PM »
 :cartwheel: Lovely job Ralph !

;D Love the artsy photos as well.

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2013, 09:22:35 PM »
Absolutely beautiful Ralph. You outdid yourself on that base but the whole think is just a real showpiece.  Thanks for sharing this one with us!!!

Bill

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2013, 11:19:32 PM »
A fine example of a finger engine.  Nicely done Ralph. :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Vince

Offline divided he ad

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2013, 01:09:31 AM »
Thanks guys,

The pic's were just a bit of fun.... I like to see what effects I can get  :D

The Base did come out well didn't  it  8)  Just pure luck that Dek gave me some stainless discs just as I was making the main part   :ThumbsUp:

MkI failed, MkII came out pretty good and this the MkIII finger engine is a much sweeter runner.... Dare I say it...? I think I'm getting better at this machining game  :thinking:

It's always nice to finish something... and to have it appreciated too :cheers:

Ralph.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2013, 01:19:43 AM »
Ralph, beautiful work. It sure would be pretty on my desk. Loved the effects. Let's see, how bout driving a small dynamo, powering a light ring built in a base. You could determine your stress level by the brightness of light. :LittleDevil:

Yo Redneck,
Eric

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2013, 02:38:52 AM »
Oh wow! Love the effects Ralph that is brilliant.

Don

Offline divided he ad

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2013, 03:47:35 PM »
Eric,
Thank you.

Dek's been trying to get me to do similar.... Well, he wants a light up/flashing flywheel!!

We will see :noidea:

You could determine your stress level by the brightness of light. :LittleDevil:
It'd barely glow for me on most days  ;)

Don, Happy you like it too..... Effects on the flywheel/base or the photography? Either way thank you.  ;D

Ralph.

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2013, 09:01:06 PM »
Wow, even my wife liked this - usually just get a tut when she sees what I've got on the screen but this time it was an "oh that's nice"!  :ThumbsUp:

Offline divided he ad

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2013, 01:14:02 AM »
Wow, even my wife liked this - usually just get a tut when she sees what I've got on the screen but this time it was an "oh that's nice"!  :ThumbsUp:

Clearly a lady of good taste Nick   ;)

Thanks Mrs G.  ;D

Ralph.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2013, 02:59:56 AM »
Nice Ralph. Very nice.
Bonus when 'she' notices too!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline divided he ad

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2013, 08:03:10 AM »
Thanks Carl,

I know!  It wasn't my intention to draw in the laydees with it..... But if it works  :naughty: 

Ralph.

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
Giving it the finger!
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2013, 11:07:04 AM »
Still not sure whether she'd appreciate one for her Birthday haha!

Offline divided he ad

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2013, 12:18:02 AM »

What have you got to lose? If your good lady don't like it you get to keep it    :ThumbsUp:   :ROFL: 

Maybe a little of this to go with it though...    :slap:

OK, perhaps flowers... Or an iron?  :shrug:

Ralph.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2013, 07:14:02 AM »

What have you got to lose? If your good lady don't like it you get to keep it    :ThumbsUp:   :ROFL: 

Maybe a little of this to go with it though...    :slap:

OK, perhaps flowers... Or an iron?  :shrug:

Ralph.

:o

I'm easy: Castings or machine tools  8)

Jo

Offline Ginger Nut

• Woolnwood
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2013, 08:49:06 AM »
Ralph a real nice bit of Ornamental Turning and Machine Turning on that very impressive. Something even I could have  go at. I am sure my grandson's would love it.

Ralph what size was the base disc? it almost looks like a Hard drive platter.

Ray
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 09:03:45 AM by Ginger Nut »

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
Giving it the finger!
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2013, 09:06:50 AM »
Think she's hankering after a new tumble drier, a couple of
Months ago it was full of fluff, cleaned it all out and sorted it, then the belt snapped - sorted that now yesterday
She said it wasn't working, but it is! It's like she's willing it to break!

Offline divided he ad

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2013, 12:00:49 PM »
Jo, I think we could safely say you're one on a few million!  :)

Ray, Thank you. No reason why you couldn't make something similar  :ThumbsUp:  The steel part of the base is 140mm across.
3mm thick stainless... Damn hard stuff!   Aluminium would have been used cause it's easy. But the SS disc was already there  :)

Nick... Buy the drier. It's never usually that easy.... But you may need to put a bow on it  ;D

Ralph.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal