Author Topic: Giving it the finger!  (Read 17147 times)

Offline divided he ad

Giving it the finger!
« on: April 12, 2013, 01:15:47 AM »
Well, the finger engine anywho  :)

This is a mirrored post I've written up on another forum, sorry if you're seeing it twice. Just thought it was about time I put something on here!  :)

Wasn't sure where to put this as it's using someone's measurements and my mind to create it..... If it needs moving I'm sure the powers that be will sort it?  :ThumbsUp:

Got a little bored over the Easter break. So thought I'd tidy up the workshop a bit.... That lead me to find a little plan for the NAMES finger engine I've had in a draw for 4 or so years!

Never made it, thought that it looked like a little fun "weekend" project so.....Stuff the tidy up!  :)

Here is where I'm upto after 16 ish hours.... I just can't follow a plan    :insane:

Warning, this gets artsy fartsy   :Lol:

Started with this... Converted to metric and rough materials cut.

Then start to put the holes in all the right places. First the upright.

A little shaping with the ball turner.

Polished up a little and the micro ball bearings pressed in.

The treadle.

Put the holes in the correct places...

And make it a shape you like the look of.

I used a carbide burr for this bit... Reason being the endmills seem to be a little too grabby in my experience...
You can't let go of this, else there will be a big bang and a few tears!!!   :bugeye:

Then the conrod.

Similar use of a burr, 1/8th one this time.... Bends a bit,  very small cuts are ok though..

Then make a wooden erm,,, fixture!?

And shape the rod a little..

The cam,

A little narrow!

Think that'll do for now,

There are quite a few more pic's but they're mostly just different angles etc.... Figure you've probably had quite enough pic's in this post by now 

I'll hopefully get a little time on the "dreaded flywheel" this weekend?

Dunno why I think cutting these flywheels is so damn tough... Maybe it's because I have to stick to the plan   :headscratch:   :Lol:

Possibly more over the weekend?

Ralph.

Offline Walsheng

• Norfolk, MA
    • Walsh Engineering
Re: Giving it the finger!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 01:34:59 AM »
I'm liking it Ralph.  I will be following.  This is something I think I would like to build.
Keep the pictures coming, can't have too many.

John

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 01:43:53 AM »
Looks great so far...I like the creative touches too!!

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 04:03:28 AM »
Nice touch Ralph, I do like the added touch to the column. I will be following with interest.

Don

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 07:14:05 AM »
Good start, looking forward to seeing more of this little engine  8)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline divided he ad

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 07:37:02 AM »
Thanks folks  ;D

Glad you like it so far, I will do my best to get it finished reasonably quickly.

Might need some of this  :stickpoke:   :slap:   I have a little engine in a draw that is now pushing it's 3rd birthday and is still not finished!

Sometimes inspiration avoids me and I just can't come up with anything I like! As soon as the flywheel starts to talk to me I'm going to get going.... Probably make the base first while I think about it?  :)

Ralph.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 08:26:28 AM »
  I have a little engine in a draw that is now pushing it's 3rd birthday and is still not finished!

Hey , I completed the first part of my R&B in December 1996. Hopefully this weekend it might have an ignition system fitted  ;D then all that remains is to get it running.

:noidea: No I think there may still be a couple more bits and pieces  :shrug:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Bogstandard

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 10:14:49 AM »
Sure it wasn't your visit on to me on Sunday that shamed you into making a post on here, you must know you have been a member on here since it almost first started, maybe you were getting a little guilty.

BTW, why not show them that fantastic little torch you showed me when you called, and don't keep such wonderful little things such a secret.

Another BTW, just to the other members who haven't come across Ralph before, he is a master at using a ball turner for decorative effects.

John

Offline Walsheng

• Norfolk, MA
    • Walsh Engineering
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 12:53:45 PM »
Thanks folks  ;D

Might need some of this  :stickpoke:   :slap:   I have a little engine in a draw that is now pushing it's 3rd birthday and is still not finished!

Ralph.

I am almost finished with a Stuart No 9 I acquired 30+ years ago!! I see no need to rush anything (obviously.) ;)

John

Offline Deko

• Crewe, Cheshire, UK
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 06:42:06 PM »
Hi Ralph,
             I recon that when you read my reply to your post of this item, over on MM, I will be off your visiting list

forever. :paranoia:   Grand job. as usual. :ThumbsUp:

Cheers Dek. :old:

Offline divided he ad

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 07:52:41 AM »
 :Lol:  1996!!!   30+ years!!!  Wow! Some people really aren't in a rush are they?   :o 
 Well, good luck on the finishing stages both.... I look forward to seeing them..... In a few years time  :cheers:

Sure it wasn't your visit on to me on Sunday that shamed you into making a post on here,
Erm.... Yep.

you must know you have been a member on here since it almost first started, maybe you were getting a little guilty.
And yep again  :facepalm2:

Little torch ain't an engine! Figured the site was for engines and tooling  :headscratch:  You tell me where to stick it and I'll give it a go!  :lolb:

Another BTW, just to the other members who haven't come across Ralph before, he is a master at using a ball turner for decorative effects.

Well, I do my best  :embarassed:

Dek.... There will be words to be had about this flywheel!!   :slap:

Fancy laying down a challenge like that  :facepalm:   Now I'm going to have to give it some thought  :noidea: :zap:

Maybe make another cause I will need to bore the main upright and cross drill to get the positive wire through.... Ahh well, another on the list  ::)

(gonna need more bearings!)

More later...

Got to get ready for work now :(

Ralph.

Offline Deko

• Crewe, Cheshire, UK
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 09:48:39 AM »
Plenty more bearings where they came from Ralph, so you can't use that as an excuse.  :toilet_claw:

Where to stick it !!!!!!  ODDBALL of course, where all my stuff is.  :naughty:

Cheers Dek. :old:  < spot on eh?

Offline divided he ad

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 07:30:07 PM »
Odd ball eh? I'll take a look later.

I've yet to get the full gist of the site... But if you  :old:  guys can do it I should be fine  :Lol:

Spot on indeed  :ROFL:

They need one on a mobility scooter now  :)

Right, tea first. Then see if Inspiration can give me a big whack upside the bonce  :slap:..... Need to get a flywheel sorted  ;D

Ralph.

Bogstandard

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 07:41:43 PM »
Now then Ralph, you should know that I hardly use mine now.  :stickpoke::hammerbash:  :cartwheel: :cartwheel:

ODDBALL area

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/board,25.0.html

For those little items that are not covered by our general headings and gives a place for members to show off their other crafts.

John

Offline divided he ad

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 12:47:24 AM »
I was thinking of a smiley for Dek John... I know you've become rather spritely  :cartwheel:

I'll get to the oddball bit soon enough, been a little busy today  ;D

Speaking of which....

I was trying to think of a design for my flywheel and stumbled on the design for the base instead  :Lol:  Just the way the mind works!

So, I was gifted a few stainless circles by this guy  :old:  last time I visited  :ThumbsUp:

I was thinking of using a 6mm thick disc but the lever would stick out and that just wouldn't do. So I selected one of the larger 3mm thick discs that would allow the lever to lie within the diameter  :)

I mounted it on an arbour and cleaned it up using emery and a little polish... This stuff is tough!! No pic's cause it was quick and basic (and I forgot!)

I decided to have another go at engine turning, last time I tried was on my MkII finger engine. It was ok but some swirls dragged a bit.

Anyway, enough talk more pic's eh  8)

I used the rotary table to hold the disc on an arbour and used 30' for the inner circle and 10' for the outer. I had to go over them twice to get the full circle cause the stainless is so hard. Took a while but I like the result  :)

Then I needed a cover for the bit left in the centre where the washer was. I used an old little brass flywheel blank from the bits draw.
I drilled it to allow the M10 thread to pass through. Then turned a spigot to locate it in the base disc.

Then turned it around and bored the recess for the column to fit into.

I needed a way to hold this for shaping so I turned the hex off a M10 bolt and cut a slot in it so I could tighten it.

Then began shaping the part.

Then I added the fancy bit to it  ;D

So this is where I ended up at about 10PM

At some point I'm going to sort the flywheel out.... At least I have an idea to try to make now  :ThumbsUp:

More as soon as I can.

Ralph.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal