Author Topic: New project  (Read 9274 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: New project
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 03:55:04 PM »
There are a few engines that have clad steam chests, like my S&P  ;), but they are not the norm and unless you are looking to build a model of a specific engine I would not bother.

Like Bill says do you have a prototype in mind?

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 04:24:01 PM »
As Jo says not copmmon on stationary engines.

Wood tended to be a bit darker than beech but you could always stain it not that beech takes a stain that well.

Is it a similar Cross engine to Anthony Mounts design? If it is there is a good build of one below

http://www.dampfundmehr.de/im-bau/neubau.htm

You basically have two options for placing the governor. 1 would be to have a modified crankshaft bearing pedestal and put the governor on top of the engine. 2. Put the governor down on the base between the columns

J
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 04:27:10 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 11:22:56 AM »
Hi, don't have any off my own pictures .I would not like to offend anyone by posting there pictures but if you look in EIM March 2009 there is a picture off what I trying to achieve.
rgds Gary

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 11:40:15 AM »
So Gary it is Anthony Mount's Rectilinear or Cross Engine design that has caught your eye.

Anthony has provided a set of drawings and construction notes for a smaller scale version. It is not based on a specific prototype so you can modify it to suit your taste. So scaling up you have to decide what extras you want to add.

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 01:28:04 PM »
That would make it the Cross engine. I should think it would be quite easy to go 1.5 times the original which would give a flywheel of just over 8" or even bigger if you have the capacity.

For those that don't take EIM this is the page from the casting suppliers

http://www.pollymodelengineering.co.uk/sections/stationary-engines/anthony-mount-models/crossengine.asp

J

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 02:28:55 PM »
Hi all its been a long time since you heard from me. Ive been extremely ill for the last ten months off into dark places you don't want to go.Finally some good news my consultant has given me the all clear to get back into the workshop. so after watching for so long I can  finally move on. Thank you all for the posts that have kept me inspired for so long.
Before I see what the state the shed is in after all this time a quick question when rescaling a design and the fastenings don't fall on a standard size do you make them bigger or smaller best wishes to you all Gary.                                   

Offline Heffalump

• Oxfordshire, England
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 02:31:31 PM »
Glad to hear you are up and about Gary

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 02:38:18 PM »
Pleased to hear you are back in the land of the swarf makers  ;D

When rescaling a design and the fastenings don't fall on a standard size do you make them bigger or smaller best wishes to you all Gary.                                   

It depends....

If you are scaling down and it is load bearing: larger, but make sure you have sufficient space for the nuts  :mischief:

If you are scaling up then the fastners are probably already oversized so you can go down  :naughty:.

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 02:44:26 PM »
Good to see you back with us Garry

ON the two Anthony Mount engines that I have made bigger versions of both would have ended up with some very oversize fasteners if I had used the same multiplier on them so I would go smaller.

J

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 05:17:18 PM »
Welcome back Gary. Jo and Jason both offer good advice. Since strength of fasteners is usually of less concern in models if it were me I would probably just look at the various parts (or full size drawings at the new scale) and just see what looked best. If you are working in CAD, you can draw in the size you choose (head height, head diameter or measurement across flats, etc.), see how it looks there and then change up or down until you are happy with it. I usually keep a table of standard fastener dimensions, including the above items close to the computer when drawing.

Bill

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 09:32:06 PM »
thank you Jo Jason and Bill its nice to be back. So in our sizes what looks right is probabley
strong enogh.

Rgds GARY

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal