Author Topic: New project  (Read 9353 times)

Offline Gary Brooke

New project
« on: April 10, 2013, 12:28:26 PM »
Have the need to build a new engine.Don't know which way to go try something to my own design or to plans. Must be steam,look nice,be able to be made from barstock, and be a challenge to make. Suggestions would be appreciated.
Rgds Gary

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: New project
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 12:41:29 PM »
Gary,  any idea as to the size engine you are looking to make?  There are always Elmer's plans for smaller scale engines or for something a bit larger you may give a look at Ray Hasbrouck's engines....http://hasbrouck.8m.com/

Bill

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
New project
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 01:25:58 PM »
Hi Gary,

There are heaps of great engines in the forums' plan section. There are quite a few from Julius de Waal that are worth a close look at. Really well drawn as well.

Hugh.

Offline Thayer

• Connecticut, USA
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 01:40:01 PM »
I don't know your capabilities but the MEM Corliss is definitely worth a look.

Thayer

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 12:11:55 PM »
Bill
The size I'm looking for is something that will fit on a 3.5" lathe and a small vertical slide. Had a look on the internet and am leaning to something with fancy columns .
Thayer
Had a look at MEM Corliss its on the list as a possibility. But would like something a little differant, as there are a lot more talented people building it.
So I will keep on looking I'm sure somebody will come up with the perfect engine.
Rgds Gary

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 12:35:43 PM »
There are a few French designs that are not too hard to build, the vertical below could have a bit more fancy work added to the four columns if you wanted.

http://jpduval.free.fr/Liste%20des%20plans/Liste_dossiers_plans.html

Or if one big fat fancy column would do you then Anthony Mounts Benson Engine can be made from barstock, do a google search for "building a bigger Benson" to see how I did it though stick with the original scale for your lathe.

Bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 12:45:25 PM »
Even a very basic Elmer's engine can be made to look completely different, with just a little imagination.

This is my version of his 'Mine Engine'

As long as you stick with the original distances and sizes, you can bling up almost anything to make it look like how you want it.

John

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 10:16:59 AM »
Sorry for the slow reply, but my new puppy Poppy ate my internet cable putting me off line.
Anyway it gave me time to look through all them magazines that one collects. I came across a Rectilinear or Cross Engine by A Mount, any one built one off these. I'm thinking off scaling it up to 1.5 the size are there
any problems with doing this.

rgds Gary

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 10:31:13 AM »
No, just opportunities to add more detail  ;D

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 11:38:11 AM »
Nice to see you back online Gary. The main thing is that you settle on something that you have an interest in or feel some connection to as far as adding your own creativity to it.  We'll be following along regardless :)

Bill

Offline ausdier

• Burpengary, Australia.
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 02:29:32 PM »
A small problem might be the flywheel for the Cross Engine in that the original diameter is 5.312" so half again would make it 7.968"diameter and you said your late was a 3.5" ?

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 10:00:07 PM »
Ausdier thanks for that heads up, how could I miss that. So 3 options smaller flywheel, smaller engine, or anew lathe.
Just a question while I'm thinking about it if I don't run it on steam, will it be possible to use steel for the cylinder.

Rgds Gary

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 12:46:28 AM »
Steel would be ok if you keep it oiled and if your air supply is dry. Otherwise some moisture could build up ibside over timwe and cause rust or corrosion. I would use aium., brass or bronze to avoid worry about that, unless you want to go to stainless. As to size, that depends on your budget.  Nothing wrong with a bigger lathe if funds allow, but i would say for now, size the engine to your current machines. Just my two cents.

Bill

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 02:08:35 PM »
Its going to be the cross engine but bigger. I want to add a bit more detail, so just a couple off questions. if I clad the cylinder should the steam chest be done as well. What would be an appropriate wood (have got some nice beech) Then I would like a governor but doing resarch on the net don't know if there should be one and were it goes.
Thanks for all your replies so far.
rgds Gary

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 03:18:12 PM »
Hi Gary,
Do you happen to have a picture of the particular engine you have selected to model?  That may help us to visualize what you are working towards and better answer any questions. Its always exciting to begin a new one...and I look forward to following along.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal