Author Topic: ETW's Wyvern Gas Engine  (Read 128864 times)

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: ETW's Wyvern Gas Engine
« Reply #315 on: September 29, 2015, 07:35:06 AM »
You can cut slices of a tungsten TIG electrode with a Dremel slitting disc. OR Hemmingway sell them.

http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalog/Ignition.html

Offline ThomasB

« Reply #316 on: November 18, 2015, 02:10:56 PM »
Hi Rod,
Your build has been the inspiration for me to dust off my Wyvern after about 20 years. Have been working on the main bedplate which only had datums machined, built up the crank and bored the
main bearings. Flywheels luckily I machined previously although they need lots of work on the unmachined surfaces. Am still sorting out what has been done and whether it's OK or not.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #317 on: November 18, 2015, 02:29:48 PM »
Hi Thomas,

I happen to know that Rod is in New Zealand at the moment and won't be back for a few weeks. So please don't be dissapointed when he takes a couple of weeks to respond to you  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #318 on: June 02, 2016, 02:43:37 PM »
I see Rod's Wyvern has made it onto the front cover of the latest ME, No 4536 :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 06:29:35 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Themule

« Reply #319 on: February 11, 2017, 09:51:52 AM »
Hello Rod - i have nearly completed my Wyvern now. One thing I am unsure of is the oiler that oils the piston skirt. I can't see anything on the plans or the original build instructions from ETW - is it a case of simply having the piston liner inserted into the water jacket and then drilling through both - so oil reaches the piston skirt? Is oil meant to reach the little end from this source as well. Andy

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #320 on: February 11, 2017, 10:47:35 AM »
Andy I don't know if Rod is going to be able to reply for a week: He was last seen heading for Heathrow airport to go Skiing  :-\

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Themule

« Reply #321 on: February 11, 2017, 12:05:34 PM »
lucky so and so - thanks Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #322 on: February 11, 2017, 01:25:58 PM »
Usual practice is to drill down say 1/16" dia through both the main casting and the liner once the liner is in place.

Some engines will have a matching hole on the top of the piston with the intension that some of the oil will find its way down to the wrist pin.

J

Offline RayW

« Reply #323 on: February 12, 2017, 09:46:49 PM »
Hi Andy.
I have just checked my Wyvern plans. The main body is drilled and tapped 3/16" x 40 TPI for the oiler. If you look at the drawing for the cylinder liner, you will see that it is marked 1/8" hole located in situ, in other words drill once the liner is installed so that it lines up with the threaded oiler hole.
The piston shows a 3/16" hole through the skirt just behind the gudgeon pin. The little end of the connecting rod has a 1/16" countersunk hole on the top to collect oil to lubricate the little end bearing.
Hope that helps but feel free to ask if you need any more help.
Ray

Offline Themule

« Reply #324 on: February 18, 2017, 09:01:52 PM »
Thanks so much guys

Offline Themule

« Reply #325 on: February 18, 2017, 09:05:34 PM »
After staying at those plans I totally missed both those oil holes  - seems obvious now you have pointed them out  :-*

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal